• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Where are all skyloft's dead people?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
It's an abstraction. Even the graveyard in Ocarina of Time is proportionately way to small.

Well the graves in OoT were huge when you went down into them, they were more like giant tombs, lol. So I can see mutiple bodies getting put in one giant tomb area. In Skyloft's case though I don't think there would be enough room in that area were the grave stones are to make giant tombs.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
good point.

i do agree that skyward sword's graveyard was quite curt. and that's the thing about skyward sword in general. the game was designed as levels - not really as a wholesome world.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I'm in favour of the 'over the edge' theory, sounds disrespectful but i can see how they could make a ceremony out of it. Get the Loftwings to carry the corpses and have them fly off, someone sounds a horn and the loftwing releases the cargo, cue salute back on skyloft. Cue a mogma getting hit on the head by a corpse.

I can definitely see something like this happening. Just like in reality for many centuries sailors would throw their dead into the sea. Its basically the same concept, plus over thousands of years the skyloftians forgot about the surface they thought below the cloud barrier there was just nothing. Maybe just more clouds, lol.

LittleGumball

Slammin' Salmon
Hylia is a cruel goddess who demanded human sacrifices to appease her birds. Clearly, a band of humans, sick and tired of watching loved ones be sacrificed, fled underground. Demise's ancestors was among these people. Knowing the injustice of human bird food continued, Demise came out and tried to save the humans, but Hylia couldn't let him win. She gathered all the humans and sent them up into the sky, where they lived on Bird Feed Island and sacrificed their old.

Skyward Sword mysteries solved.
I'm in favor of this one, plus it fits with the Tingle Is God/Hylia Is Satan theory:

What if it's Hylia? What if she overthrew Tingle and turned him into a mortal so she could create her own corrupt world and watch the humans scramble around fighting each other for power and greed? What if by 'fairy' he actually means 'deity' but fairy is a closer word to what he means because of the limit of the current language, or Hylia stripped him of his powers completely so he wants to become an entity as powerful as a fairy so he can contend against Hylia once more for control over the world?

wait... does this make Demise Jesus...

Djinn

and Tonic
They did have a graveyard in Skyloft
http://zeldawiki.org/Graveyard#Skyward_Sword But it could be possible that it was only for the first couple generations of people before they realized they would run out of space and changed their methods. Or it was one of the pieces of land that was taken to the sky and no one ever repurposed the land.

Perhaps upon death people are fed to the loftwings.
I was actually thinking of something like this, a sky burial.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_burial
Sky burial (Tibetan: Wylie: bya gtor, lit. "bird-scattered"[1]) is a funeral practice in which a human corpse is placed on a mountaintop to decompose while exposing to the elements or to be eaten by scavenging animals, especially birds of prey. It is a specific type of the general practice of excarnation.
Placing a prepared body in a high location to be taken by birds makes a little sense when in the context of a people that hold birds and sky imagery as sacred to their culture and religion. Plus they have very large birds all over their nation so it is not like there is any short amount of birds to do the job. Smaller ones can be seen everywhere too.

This at least makes some kind of explanation since there is some very limited space to keep burying people. And it just seems a little morbid to think that every so often a body is dropped off the side only to land on the ground somewhere around the Sealed Grounds.

Maybe they have their service and then toss them off the edge? (Can you imagine cloud gazing on a beautiful day only to see some corpse coming down out of nowhere?) Feed them to scavengers/predators? Or bury a few on islands here and there?

Kingwobbly

Kingwu.
A lot of religions have some variation of an underworld in which the dead reside. The world under Skyloft is the surface, so it makes sense that they would send their dead there.
On the other hand, perhaps there's more to that red potion than we thought?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
A lot of religions have some variation of an underworld in which the dead reside. The world under Skyloft is the surface, so it makes sense that they would send their dead there.
On the other hand, perhaps there's more to that red potion than we thought?

Welp now we know where Bokoblins come from :P, Not to mention the Cursed Bokoblins in Ancient Cistern that place had a heaven hell type of deal going for it

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I doubt they just dumped people off the edge. That doesn't seem like a graceful resting place for the dead - just throw them off the edge of a sky island miles in the sky to a random place on the surface. Unless they were ignorant to the existence of the surface, which this quote suggests:

Allow me tell you about the history of
Skyloft!

Skyloft is an island that has floated
here for ages... Thousands of years.

Our ancestors have always lived on this
island, as well as the surrounding
islands in the sky.

There is an impenetrable barrier of
clouds below Skyloft. Nobody who has
fallen down through the clouds has
ever been seen again.
They say there is a vast expanse of
pure nothingness beneath the clouds!

So judging by this, yeah, they are oblivious to the surface; however it does say the barrier is "impenetrable", so why would they throw the remains down there? And yet when the clouds open, we don't see a mass remains of skeletons from the hundreds of people that probably died during all those years. I mean it's possible, but it doesn't exactly seem a graceful way of dying for what's known as a noble race.

There is, however, a Graveyard, but it's far to small to house the bodies of all the people who have died. The quote above clearly says that Skyloft has existed for "thousands of years" and if you take the populace of the Island at probably an average of a around 20 at any given generation, you'd have hundreds who have died during that time period. Plus there's only a few headstones there, so yeah, that isn't the solution either.

It is a mystery. Maybe they were taken to other Islands across the Sky, maybe cremation, or maybe a magical way to dispose of the bodies aided by the power of the Goddess.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
@Justac00lguy

While it says the barrier is impenetrable, it also mentions people falling through the clouds, never to be seen again. I'm fairly certain that "impenetrable" in this context is merely poetic license.
Only reason why I believe it to be true is that Link has to open the clouds in order to gain access to the surface. Otherwise he could visit all three provinces from the beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom