• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Aonuma Considering Zelda As Main Protagonist?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
NL: The Zelda series tells the story of a male hero rescuing a female princess. Would you ever consider giving Zelda her own game?

Aonuma: This is the second time I’ve received this question during this E3! I guess if people have strong feelings about it then it’s something to consider. I’ll keep that in mind! [laughs]

Source: Eiji Aonuma: Would Consider Zelda as a Protagonist Depending on Demand

While that's old article, I have to say that I'm still touched that he responded nicely. When he says "if people have strong feelings" that means a definite "no" as evidenced by Midna's not having returned even for Skyward Sword.

Could you envision Zelda as a playable character, or even the main protagonist? Why/why not?

Big Octo

=^)
Zelda would be interesting as a protagonist, and I could definitely see her as one. Although she often follows the trop of Damsel in Distress, that doesn't mean she can be given a few moves of her own so that she isn't completely helpless. Transformations could also be worked in, which would only help the gameplay.

I'd be interested in seeing as the protagonist in a future game. Though, maybe some of the fanbase won't be too keen on that. Nonetheless, here's to hoping.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I would LOVE to see a Zelda game where she actually was the protagonist. We need more playable (named) female characters in games, and it's time that Zelda took a more active role rather than being a bystander, the damsel and the occasional sidekick.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Zelda of course can be a playable character, I don't see why she shouldn't be. With that said, it's a definite possibility that Zelda could fit perfectly as the main protagonist, but the question is, will they make it work well? I feel that this would be a great opportunity to bring back her alter ego, Sheik. Not only would this give us a new experience through another character's perspective, but it's also an interesting way to incorporate new items into the series. Overall, I could certainly see Zelda being the main protagonist of any future installment.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Hey, no hatin on the damsel in distress formula. It's an honored way of doing things, and I thought you'd be satisfied with Wand of Gamelon (LOL). I suppose it could work, provided a real creative spark took place. Maybe a game focusing on Sheik? I do suppose it would have to be a side game. We gotta keep some traditions going, and our green man in tights on a journey is the most important of all.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
Zelda is forced into a political marriage with some one after the triforce, so she runs away and hides under her alter ego? And does things to save the world and what not.

It could work.

Besides after 28 years with her name in the title its only fair she gets at least one game thats really hers. I mean for Nayru's sake Tingle got his own game.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
No. What's the point? She's better off as a leader than a frontline fighter.

There's a very big point, and I think TJF points it out rather clearly.

TJF said:
Besides after 28 years with her name in the title its only fair she gets at least one game thats really hers. I mean for Nayru's sake Tingle got his own game.

If you're going to name a series after a certain character, then I see no reason as to why they shouldn't be the main protagonist. I understand Zelda is the "damsel in distress", but that doesn't mean she can't kick *** every once in a while. She's very capable of proving to be a noble fighter, and even better, a wise and strategic fighter. Which is a quality some warriors lack (i.e. the Hyrulian Knights from Twilight Princess who run away from Telma's Bar). Also, can't leaders also be frontline fighters? It's not uncommon, so I don't see how that would be a setback.

Salem

SICK
There's a very big point, and I think TJF points it out rather clearly.
Let me clarify, I don't see Zelda as a frontline fighter, she's the princess, potentially a future queen. Being the monarch/leader of her country, she has more important things than to fight, she has to be a beacon of hope for the people, calm people down when there's a crisis(she did a job during TP).

during the series she was NEVER just a damsel in distress, she always did something, sometimes it was more important than using a sword.

In original LoZ, she did a proactive action, she hid the triforce from Ganon
In Loz 2, she refused to tell a secret about the triforce to her brother who was the KING of Hyrule.
OoT, she ploted the downfall of her enemy
In TP, I assume she covered up the crisis that happened.

If Zelda would be a star in a Zelda game, it has to be spin off, Zelda real-time strategy anyone?

Last edited:

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Let me clarify, I don't see Zelda as a frontline fighter, she's the princess, potentially a future queen. Being the monarch/leader of her country, she has more important things than to fight, she has to be a beacon of hope for the people, calm people down when there's a crisis(she did a job during TP).

during the series she was NEVER just a damsel in distress, she always did something, sometimes it was more important than using a sword.

So? Kings can rule kingdoms, bring hope and prosperity to their country, and still lead the charge into battles. What makes a princess/queen any different? Is it because she's female? If Zelda's always done something in every title, I don't see how fighting would be any different. Who said anything about using a sword? If I'm correct, Zelda is expertly skilled in archery, which can be a useful skill to have during a battle. Also, what's more of a beacon of hope: a princess trying to calm her country down, or a hero emerging victoriously from a war?

Aonuma said:
If we don’t change we might die. We need to evolve. Things need to change. Things need to grow.

The Legend of Zelda dynamic needs to change, and having Zelda as the main protagonist is an excellent way to do just that.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
No, no ,no. Zelda's strength is in its ability to evolve while respecting tradition. The Link as a hero is a cornerstone of the franchise. There's easily fifty ways to evolve that without shaking things up to that degree.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
No, no ,no. Zelda's strength is in its ability to evolve while respecting tradition. The Link as a hero is a cornerstone of the franchise. There's easily fifty ways to evolve that without shaking things up to that degree.

Who says we need to follow tradition? Like Aonuma says, if we don't change we might die. Even if it means we must break tradition in order to change, then so be it.

Salem

SICK
So? Kings can rule kingdoms, bring hope and prosperity to their country, and still lead the charge into battles. What makes a princess/queen any different? Is it because she's female? If Zelda's always done something in every title, I don't see how fighting would be any different. Who said anything about using a sword? If I'm correct, Zelda is expertly skilled in archery, which can be a useful skill to have during a battle. Also, what's more of a beacon of hope: a princess trying to calm her country down, or a hero emerging victoriously from a war?

The Legend of Zelda dynamic needs to change, and having Zelda as the main protagonist is an excellent way to do just that.
Who said anything about gender? Maybe I worded it wrong, but my only point is casting Zelda in another action-adventure games changes nothing. Casting her in a real-time strategy? Changes everything.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
No. What's the point? She's better off as a leader than a frontline fighter.

We've never seen her as a frontline fighter, so how can you make the judgment? :rolleyes:

Trahearne.jpg
I'll use another game as an example (and its perfect): Guild Wars 2. In the Personal Story, you'll eventually meet with someone named Trahearne. He's a scholarly necromancer with no intention to fight; by all means he is a "by the books" person rather than "by the sword". He prefers research over leadership; reading over fighting; peace instead of conflict. However, because of other events and the actions of three Orders (think of them as small guilds/clans), he is forced to helm a new pact to fight a desperate evil. In other words, he's made a leader despite having zero experience with leadership but having all the abilities of an able scholar. ;)

Now there are definitely other things that made him the leader, such as NOT being part of any of the three clans, having been bequeathed a sacred blade (which is ironic...I don't think necros can use greatswords Q_Q), and really seeing his "destiny" several days before it even began to elapse...but it's all the same really. There was a course that someone needed to take - and taht someone was Trahearne.

Now, how does this relate to Zelda herself? Well like you said, "she is better off as a leader than a frontline fighter"...but how? For one, she has little experience leading bar Ocarina of Time, Oracles, and Twilight Princess. In the former, she takes to the shadows as is natural but still guides Link along the way, teaching him shiz that he should know to aid him on his quest. In the latter, she makes life-threatening (?) decisions for her people, for better or for worse. Oh, and she also kinda dies so that Midna can live, which is still leading Hyrule to prosperity. Other than that...The hell does she do by leading? Get captured by a secret aide she never knew about (Impa; SS)? How about getting killed (ST)? Sure she led stuff as Tetra, but the moment she reverts to Zelda, she does nothing but sit back (TWW). Oh, she spends the duration of the game "captured", *captured*, or asleep (LoZ, AoL, ALttP, FSA, TMC, PH). I see very little leadership qualities in Zelda, but let us assume she has a crap ton. Ehm...jsut because she has leadership qualities does not mean she somehow is restricted to that role. After all it's perfectly possible for her to take up the sword like anyone else (I'd assume she had to whether for play or not during the events previous to Twilight Princess...but maybe it was ornament Q_Q ). Hell, it may even be possible that Link was imprisoned and she'd have to fight hordes of evils to rescue him (while she didn't actually do shiz herself, Link *was* imprisoned in the pre-SS manga, and rightfully so: they were tired of his OMA **** lol ).

[ilquote=IHG] Maybe a game focusing on Sheik?[/ilquote]As to Zelda transforming for combat specifications, why is that even a requirement for most people? A woman is perfectly capable of fighting hand to hand and with swords without the aid of magic. Of course, me asking for a more physical Zelda is a bit...jarring considering my stance to modern Zelda, but my point is that females can fight just as well if not better than males without some super aid. The aid comes only when the going gets uber tough nam sayin>?

I also want to add that sticking by tradition is boring to me...yeah Link has been the hero but the name of the series is The Legend of Zelda, not the Legend of Link. Zelda needs worthwhile screentime, not looking cute and shiz.

[ILQUOTE=Sroa Link;744957]Who said anything about gender? Maybe I worded it wrong, but my only point is casting Zelda in another action-adventure games changes nothing. [/ILQUOTE]

I totally agree with this; merely having Zelda as a playable character means nothing. All changes need to come with some sort of meaning. So we play as Zelda, so what? If she's another voiceless, character-less character then we might as well have been playing as Link, correct? Well playing as Zelda is an easy enough manner to have voice acting (if Nintendo so dares anyway), real character depth and immersion of character, and a new perspective on things. Link is the brave guy who does whatever (cus he's a dog of war :rolleyes:), but maybe Zelda is more sensitive and less direct? Who knows.

I guess my point overall is that although Zelda doesn't look or carry herself like much of a fighter - like leafyboy Trahearne up there with his leadershipness - doesn't mean she cannot be an effective fighter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom