• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why All the Hate for Skyward Sword's Bokoblins?

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
The Bokoblins do attack. I don't see why people say they don't. They attack just as frequently as past enemies. I covered this in the OP.
You're right. They do attack. Have you seen the way they attack though? They spend most of their time defending themselves than trying to attack. When they want to attack, they take forever to do so. That's why they're an enemy that's not even worth my time to defeat.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
You're right. They do attack. Have you seen the way they attack though? They spend most of their time defending themselves than trying to attack. When they want to attack, they take forever to do so. That's why they're an enemy that's not even worth my time to defeat.

Have you fought the Stalfos from OoT and MM? They're really not much different. Yet no one seems to complain about them. And, again, I explained why they don't attack very often in the OP. They're being attacked a lot by us, meaning they're blocking a lot. They can't attack and block at the same time.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Have you fought the Stalfos from OoT and MM? They're really not much different. Yet no one seems to complain about them. And, again, I explained why they don't attack very often in the OP. They're being attacked a lot by us, meaning they're blocking a lot. They can't attack and block at the same time.

Yes, I have fought them. I saw that they both equally defend and attack. That's not the case for SS Bokoblin. If you haven't already noticed, there are really only two variations of the Stalfos. Stalfos in general, and Stalmasters. The Bokoblin in Skyward Sword were almost all identical, with littler variation between Green, Red, and Blue. Their attacks were almost all the same, and they defend the same way every time. There's no reason to complain about Stalfos, but the Bokoblin in SS were a different problem.

Regardless if they block a lot, they're still pretty unintelligent. They scream, run up to Link, try to hit him, and then block for all eternity. I could see where you would put some sense into that, but that's a pathetic way of attacking. Could you even call it "attacking"? I understand that they can't attack and block at the same time, but they could have done more attacking and less blocking. They didn't even put up a fight. Seriously the most pathetic enemy I've ever seen.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Yes, I have fought them. I saw that they both equally defend and attack. That's not the case for SS Bokoblin. If you haven't already noticed, there are really only two variations of the Stalfos. Stalfos in general, and Stalmasters. The Bokoblin in Skyward Sword were almost all identical, with littler variation between Green, Red, and Blue. Their attacks were almost all the same, and they defend the same way every time. There's no reason to complain about Stalfos, but the Bokoblin in SS were a different problem.

Regardless if they block a lot, they're still pretty unintelligent. They scream, run up to Link, try to hit him, and then block for all eternity. I could see where you would put some sense into that, but that's a pathetic way of attacking. Could you even call it "attacking"? I understand that they can't attack and block at the same time, but they could have done more attacking and less blocking. They didn't even put up a fight. Seriously the most pathetic enemy I've ever seen.

No. The Stalfos actually take longer to attack. I waited for 9 seconds one time waiting for one to attack. The most I've ever counted for one of SS's Bokoblins is 5. And I've waited numerous times. It typically only takes about 3 seconds from what I've observed, whereas the Stalfos in the N64 games typically take 5 or 6. And with them you're forced to wait until they attack. You can decide when to strike with SS's Bokoblins. That's one thing that makes them so well-designed: depth. There are multiple strategies that can be used to defeat them rather than one generic way. It's what was in most of SS's enemies, and it's something only the toughest of foes in past titles had. I really can't understand how people don't see this. It's as if fans ignore things in past titles but call out the tiniest things in modern ones.

Djinn

and Tonic
I did notice people's beef with their looks, and I have to say I can't take that very seriously. I mean... if you're going to use that as a basis for them being bad enemies, you probably have some pretty shallow logic.

Shallow? It is a video game not a girlfriend. Meant to be entertaining and just as aesthetically pleasing as the gameplay is engaging. And as such I do demand a certain level of quality placed into the designs of the characters because the game is first and foremost meant to draw me in to purchase and then keep me entertained. If it fails in these respects then I am simply not going to buy it and the company that produces it will be out one more paying customer. Also a company that employs artists, designers, and art directors meant to keep up that specific level of quality means that design aspects are an immediate and important requirement on their part as well or else they are not quite doing their job either. I do indeed care about graphics, and more so I care about the base designs of the characters and enemies. If large amounts of people not not care about these things then there would never be any emphasis on HD in games, 3D aspects, renders, or essentially any need for change beyond the 8bit era.

There is a very strong difference in playing the hero in an epic fantasy adventure fighting demonic hordes and fighting large headed goofy looking football mascots. It does make me think "Wow, they really could have done better than this." nearly every time I see them.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Shallow? It is a video game not a girlfriend. Meant to be entertaining and just as aesthetically pleasing as the gameplay is engaging. And as such I do demand a certain level of quality placed into the designs of the characters because the game is first and foremost meant to draw me in to purchase and then keep me entertained. If it fails in these respects then I am simply not going to buy it and the company that produces it will be out one more paying customer. Also a company that employs artists, designers, and art directors meant to keep up that specific level of quality means that design aspects are an immediate and important requirement on their part as well or else they are not quite doing their job either. I do indeed care about graphics, and more so I care about the base designs of the characters and enemies. If large amounts of people not not care about these things then there would never be any emphasis on HD in games, 3D aspects, renders, or essentially any need for change beyond the 8bit era.

There is a very strong difference in playing the hero in an epic fantasy adventure fighting demonic hordes and fighting large headed goofy looking football mascots. It does make me think "Wow, they really could have done better than this." nearly every time I see them.

It's shallow because how an enemy looks matters little to how good the enemy actually is. Devil May Cry has some of the ugliest enemies in gaming. They're all pretty fantastic.

I think they're meant to look ugly and silly, they are smaller versions of things that are much more tremendous and hideous looking.

I HATE the Bokoblins in SS because:

1) They look like grumpy old men.
2) They sound like... like... idk but it's extremely annoying.
3) They're not basic enemies in SS, they're EVERYWHERE. I got really really tired of fighting them. I much prefer the TP bokoblins, because there's not many of them, mostly in the beginning of the game, where they should be.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I HATE the Bokoblins in SS because:

1) They look like grumpy old men.
2) They sound like... like... idk but it's extremely annoying.
3) They're not basic enemies in SS, they're EVERYWHERE. I got really really tired of fighting them. I much prefer the TP bokoblins, because there's not many of them, mostly in the beginning of the game, where they should be.

This thread was more dedicated to why people claimed they were bad enemies rather than why they personally hated them, but that's very solid reasoning as to why you don't like them. I would just like to know why you would consider them bad enemies in terms of gameplay design.

The Bokoblins were used too much. they were literally everywhere. Near the end, they were pathetic, but they were still everywhere. Apparently, the TP 'Blins were trained to fight the SS ones, because rushing in and flailing works well until they finally get their sword out. they would be fine, if they were kept to the first dungeons and that final horde. but instead, after they became really obsolete, they stuck around. Of course, thhe same thing happened in... everything else, but it's more noticeable in SS, because it had more types of Bokoblins, but less types of enemy overall. As for asthetically, I find them to be endearingly exaggerated. on the basic enemy scale, I give them a 8/10.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
The Bokoblins were used too much. they were literally everywhere. Near the end, they were pathetic, but they were still everywhere. Apparently, the TP 'Blins were trained to fight the SS ones, because rushing in and flailing works well until they finally get their sword out. they would be fine, if they were kept to the first dungeons and that final horde. but instead, after they became really obsolete, they stuck around. Of course, thhe same thing happened in... everything else, but it's more noticeable in SS, because it had more types of Bokoblins, but less types of enemy overall. As for asthetically, I find them to be endearingly exaggerated. on the basic enemy scale, I give them a 8/10.

8/10 is a very fair score for them, and I find it hard to argue with that. I don't think the reusing them so that different types could come in was necessarily a bad thing, but you have the right to not like it.

This thread was more dedicated to why people claimed they were bad enemies rather than why they personally hated them, but that's very solid reasoning as to why you don't like them. I would just like to know why you would consider them bad enemies in terms of gameplay design.

They're decent enemies in the beginning of the game, but there shouldn't have been constant bokoblin through the beginning of the game. Actually, the harder variant of bokoblin (blue) that replace the ones in the faron woods actually are easier, because they are over-aggressive and don't defend themselves right away. And then, the technoblins, they're just stupid. I hate the fact that you get punished if you get an attack parried, but it doesn't matter because you can just shield bash them and take down their defenses anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom