• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Little Thing That Annoyed Me

Deeds

no text
Well, I got skyward sword about a week ago and man, I find it incredible. The only thing that went wrong with it in my opinion is that you don't get different coloured tunics. Yes, I have found nothing wrong with Skyward Sword so i'm nit picking on the tiniest things. This may just be me but I found that Link looked soo sick at the final temple in Ocarina of Time with that really cool red tunic the mirror shield and the hover boots, but I just haven't found anything like that in Skyward Sword, the shields are all pretty lame (the Goddess Shield is nearly there) and you get stuck with the same Green Tunic. This may just be me having a rant, it's just my opinion. Other than that Skyward Sword is insane with all those neat upgrades. Post whether you agree or disagree with me.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I don't really think the tunics matter. While I agree that Link looks cool in the different colors, it's not something that really matters. I also agree to an extent that the shields look pretty lame, although very few of them. But the Hylian Shield? How can you look at that and say all the shields are lame? Just asking.

Deeds

no text
I don't really think the tunics matter. While I agree that Link looks cool in the different colors, it's not something that really matters. I also agree to an extent that the shields look pretty lame, although very few of them. But the Hylian Shield? How can you look at that and say all the shields are lame? Just asking.
No, it doesn't matter, it just adds a bit more creativity to links appearance which is always pretty cool. Wait, you can get the Hylian Shield in Skyward Sword? Where? :O

Deeds

no text
Ah thanks a lot, that's really cool, I didn't realise you could do that. Shame, you can't get it earlier though (presuming you have to defeat the 8 bosses once before you can do this 'Boss Challenge' thing?

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
I've got to be honest I never liked the colored tunics. Sure it let you do cool things like breath underwater but I always loved the classic green tunic. I found myself in all games that had color tunics I used the colored tunics when I needed and then switched back to good old green. As for you saying the shields are lame I don't get where your coming from on that statement. Each shield had a interesting design. The wooden ones had a very simplistic design. The metal had a more mine looking design. And the sacred ones looked like a 10000$ painting was painted onto a shield. And then we got the good old Hylian Shield.

everettkagan

Major SS and Oot fan!
I dissagre entirely. I honestly think link looks really sick with the watercolor-like graphics and the green tunic. The thing that annoyed ME the most is actually the harp. for me it was so hard to play and i kept getting the beat and the speed wrong and it just annoyed me so much. Also, in Oot, i only used the different colored tunics when i had 2 and then automatically replaced them with the green tunic. I love the green one because it seems so original and it just seems the coolest to me. Go green!!!

LinkPTY

Skyward Wiimote
Green tunic is classic, man.

^ That's all I was going to post, but apparently I have to type more letters to actually post it, so here.

Deeds

no text
As for you saying the shields are lame I don't get where your coming from on that statement. Each shield had a interesting design. The wooden ones had a very simplistic design. The metal had a more mine looking design. And the sacred ones looked like a 10000$ painting was painted onto a shield. And then we got the good old Hylian Shield.
Interesting design? :O Every single shield is simplistic, even the fully upgraded Steel Shield looks simple and just a bar of steel. The only elaborate design in my opinion is the Goddess shield (excluding the Hylian Shield). If only you could buy the Hylian Shield in the shop, that would be better.
and yes, I suppose the green tunic is classic, just gets a bit boring after a while. Not saying it look bad, but I like more creativity. Oh well, still an amazing game haha.

You can cheat to get different tunic colors, but I'm not getting into that.
As for the shield thing, I think you're getting a little picky. Besides, back in the day people cared more about the look of their sword than their shield. Makes sense to me they made the shields simplistic. Even still, you don't want to outshine the Hylian Shield in a Zelda game these days.

I guess I can understand it bugging you if the tunic colors were a favorite thing for you, but I don't think it's really a demerit on the game itself at all. I would have liked to have seen armor and equipment like that again, but we got an expanded inventory system in a different way, so ultimately I don't have a lot to complain about. Would like to see the idea of tunics return though, or better yet, armors with special powers like the Zora Armor from Twilight Princess.

Interesting design? :O Every single shield is simplistic, even the fully upgraded Steel Shield looks simple and just a bar of steel. The only elaborate design in my opinion is the Goddess shield (excluding the Hylian Shield). If only you could buy the Hylian Shield in the shop, that would be better.
Interesting doesn't mean ornate or complex. If something is interesting, it means it holds your attention or makes you want to be involved with it. I actually also loved the shields in Skyward Sword because they felt believable. I like the fancy shields in older games, but I appreciated the break from it in Skyward Sword (although they do still have that with the Sacred Shield and Hylian Shield), and instead gave you the more believable, realistic shields. And I actually do think they are cool looking. I like the look of the Iron Shield and its upgraded forms. Actually that shield tree looks cooler than the Hylian Shield to me, because it's hardcore looking. :xd:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I agree completley, there was almost no aesthetic design in SS. We have all this greatness by way of upgrade system and visuals, but Link looks the same throughout the game. I personally loved the Iron Shield evolution and the Hylian shield, other than that everything felt drab and boring.

EDIT: I was totally expecting for SS to have multiple tunics because it promised us that "adventure" feeling...but we didn't get that.

I would have loved for the Mirror Shield to return as an equippable, even if just for the design and lack of "mirror" effect (it would be even better if the Mirror Shield had the ability to do what it did in OoT in the Spirit Temple boss battle, just saying). The Sacred Shield line all looked the same to me, didn't really interest me but that's just me. The Hylian Shield can never NOT look awesome. It's just like...the perfect blend of colors and design. I loved every last bit of it. If we had more shields and some status effects (I noticed that there is no enemy whatsoever that can freeze you in SS!), I think the shields area would be well filled.

On the topic of tunics...I'm sort of with Axle in having multiple armors, but at the same time the simple garb color change seen in OoT would be equal in my eyes. I just didn't like that the Goron Tunic's effect of negating most fire damage was transferred to the incredibly dull looking Fireshield Earrings (the earrings are supposed to be BLUE, Nintendo!) and the ability to swim was transferred [somewhat] from the Zora Scale + Zora Tunic to the dragon scale thing. I just like being able to customize Link – if he's supposedly our ingame avatar, we should have some degree of control over how he looks besides simple 'take off shield, put shield on'.

Deeds

no text
I agree completley, there was almost no aesthetic design in SS. We have all this greatness by way of upgrade system and visuals, but Link looks the same throughout the game. I personally loved the Iron Shield evolution and the Hylian shield, other than that everything felt drab and boring.

EDIT: I was totally expecting for SS to have multiple tunics because it promised us that "adventure" feeling...but we didn't get that.

I would have loved for the Mirror Shield to return as an equippable, even if just for the design and lack of "mirror" effect (it would be even better if the Mirror Shield had the ability to do what it did in OoT in the Spirit Temple boss battle, just saying). The Sacred Shield line all looked the same to me, didn't really interest me but that's just me. The Hylian Shield can never NOT look awesome. It's just like...the perfect blend of colors and design. I loved every last bit of it. If we had more shields and some status effects (I noticed that there is no enemy whatsoever that can freeze you in SS!), I think the shields area would be well filled.

On the topic of tunics...I'm sort of with Axle in having multiple armors, but at the same time the simple garb color change seen in OoT would be equal in my eyes. I just didn't like that the Goron Tunic's effect of negating most fire damage was transferred to the incredibly dull looking Fireshield Earrings (the earrings are supposed to be BLUE, Nintendo!) and the ability to swim was transferred [somewhat] from the Zora Scale + Zora Tunic to the dragon scale thing. I just like being able to customize Link – if he's supposedly our ingame avatar, we should have some degree of control over how he looks besides simple 'take off shield, put shield on'.
Aah, I was relieved to see someone who agrees with me. I thought I was going insane for a a second, haha.

Another point i'm going to say is that Ocarina of Time gave us the Ocarina, this was a insanely useful item which never failed to be used in nearly every situation. Majoras Mask gave us the Masks, this was really interesting and had a sort of collectible feeling to it. Twilight Princess didn't really give much other than the changable armour/tunics, oh and playing as the wolf. Skyward Sword comes out with these flying birds that link can ride on, so awesome but it really doesn't have that same feeling as the other games. You can't say "Oh that's just because nostalgia comes first" because Twilight Princess had that feeling for me. It's no Hyrule field, it's just a sky with these lame light that you fly into.
That doesn't matter at all really, just expressing my feeling for the game in a long rant. Oh well. Still a great game.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, Vanitas, but it sorta sounds like you just don't want to see anything new done in Zelda at all except for what was done in old games. I say this because of your comments about the Fireshield Earrings, how they're "supposed to be blue". Link doesn't even have earrings in every game, nor do I see a reason why they should be standard when they do appear.

I'm with you on how cool the equipment switching was and how nice it would be to see the tunics again, but I don't see why it can be stated to be an objective flaw or problem with the game that it doesn't have them. That doesn't make sense to me.

(it would be even better if the Mirror Shield had the ability to do what it did in OoT in the Spirit Temple boss battle, just saying)
You can actually deflect Beamos lasers, for the record, though it doesn't matter which shield you use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom