• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Is OOT overrated?

Is OOT overrated?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Do you think that now after ten years OOT is a little overrated.
It's number one in a lot of best video game lists.
Do you think that ten years later it is still the best game or do you think it's been surpass?

I tend to think it is overrated. The first time I played Ocarina of Time, I kind of went through it, trying to figure out what to do, and once I beat the game I beat the Game. I didn't really think anymore of OoT later on until I came onto forums, and realized that most people thought that this was the most brilliant game in existence, and apparently will forever be the favorite of most Zelda Game players (which would make a group called OoT fanboys btw), and I still see it pretty existent today. Until I can figure out why these people love this game so much and why I don't, I will think it is overrated.

Claire

The Geekette
I often think Nintendo realized how significant Ocarina of Time was, and by creating an entire fanbase centered strictly around one game could easily bring in the money - by selling the original game, collector's edition, and master quest. I think it is overrated when you view it in this aspect, because of how much has been spent around acknowledging a single game to boost it's importance. Although, this doesn't ignore that I find the game to be incredibly well done, and have no doubt in my mind why someone could call it the greatest game of all time.

I don't think its really all that overrated. Its a good game, and a lot of fans of the series as well as general gamers realize how good it is. Compared to the other Zelda titles, it is superior in many ways, but the other titles are all different to me. Each Zelda game has its own special significance and feel to it in my view. And yes, ten years later, this game still is quite good. There's a lot of crap thats released today too quickly, and we get a shell of a game when we were hoping for the whole deal.

When I think of overrated games, I think of things like Halo, and in no way do I feel that people obsessing over Halo is anything like someone thinking OoT is the best game ever. People liked Halo because of the online play, which is always good, but it dosen't make an entire game great. The story mode of a game is what makes the game, and OoT did itself justice without any addition online or multiplaying add ons for replay value. True, online wasn't even created for home gaming systems during OoT's time, but multiplayer was a big part of gaming during this generation.

Nintendo also seems to have a small reputation for making harder versions of games. As far back as Super Mario Bros., in fact, and the original Zelda as well, both had harder quests to undergo once the game was completed. This is sorta how I view Master Quest. It was a more challenging version of OoT, not just something created to milk the game for everything it was worth. They have done enough of that just releasing it over and over (N64 Collector's Edition, gray cartridge, game of the year edition, OoT/Master Quest CD, Zelda Collector's Edition Disc, Virtual Console). But hey, if people will buy it, why not sell it?

linkman8

True and Noble
I don't believe OOT was overrated. It's not like today where hype totally kills certain games, because even though a lot of people were looking forward to OOT, the hype wasn't overkill. That aside, the game did deliver on many of the factors that were considered "revolutionary" in the video game world. Granted that Mario 64 came before that, but even so, Zelda had never reached such an intricate level of gaming that included 3-D play.
On top of that, to this day people can still get the game on VC (or otherwise) and enjoy it just as much as they did in '98. So this leads me to believe that wasn't overrated in the slightest sense.

A

adrock

Ocarina is not over-rated at all. It deserves all the praise it gets. This coming from a guy who has played every Zelda since the original in 1986.

I might have to say that Twilight is over-rated. It has great aspects, design, etc, but if it were titled something other than Zelda (like if it were just some other game series) I would have stopped playing early on. It wasn't all that "fun". It doesn't suck by any means, don't misunderstand me, but no deserving of the hype.

I happen to think that WindWaker is the most UNDER-rated Zelda. It might be the funnest one yet. Its not "sophisticated", its just FUN and extremely well made. Revisit it after Twilight and you'll find it more enjoyable than before.

N

Nemesis

I think it's overrated, don't take me wrong, it's an awesome game :D, but it exists better Zelda games

I happen to think that WindWaker is the most UNDER-rated Zelda. It might be the funnest one yet. Its not "sophisticated", its just FUN and extremely well made. Revisit it after Twilight and you'll find it more enjoyable than before.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you that Wind Waker is underrated.

I don't particularly think that Ocarina of Tim is overrated, at least not in comparison with many games today like Halo and the like. Many games now are so commercialized that they are "doomed by the hype", almost instantly. Now they are even putting the sponsor's advertisements in the games.

Nonetheless, I think that Ocarina of Time does indeed get a bit too much credit. Especially given that it seems to blot out the relevance of games like The Wind Waker and Majora's Mask.

And I agree, The Wind Waker is very under-rated, it was a great game, and yet it is hardly recognized.

Here's something interest if you ask ten Zelda fan's what there favorite Zelda game is you will most likely get OOT as there answer.
But I bet if you ask ten Mario fan's there favorite Mario game is you will probably not get the same answer.

kpllk

The future pro yoyoer
It is an awesome game. It is overrated sometimes depending on who talks about it. I don't talk about it that much, so to me, it isn't that overrated.

The problem that I have with OOT is that it seems to be the guild that is used to judge all of the new Zelda games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom