• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Art Recko Alloy

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
CHAPTER 1

Finally, the last of our usual visitors left for the night, leaving my two roommates and me to engage in more solitary activities. It was a Sunday night before another week of classes, and these final hours of the weekend seemed awkwardly calm compared to the bustle of the day. The three of us lived in a room designed for four on the fourth floor of the second-farthest dorm away from the academic side of campus. It had been converted from a lounge into a quad some years ago, and our fourth roommate – who barely spent any time in the room anyway, even to sleep – had moved out after first quarter to be with his friends on the third floor.

It's a nice room, with slightly newer furniture than the doubles and singles, and one large window spanning the entire outer wall. The window provides a very clear view of the entire room from the outside if it’s dark out and the lights are on, but it conversely offers a nice view of the tree line on the opposite side of the parking lot across the road, and its Eastward perspective dramatically lights the room with the rising sun in the morning. All the beds in the room – one along each wall – are lofted, with desks underneath. I occupy the one adjacent the large window, and the bright sun on my face helps me wake up in good spirits during certain times of the year, at the expense of some privacy.

Several factors contribute to our room being very lively in the evenings. One of my roommates knows a lot of people in the building from his high school, and our room being the largest on this side of fourth floor makes it the popular place to hang out. We replaced our nomadic former roommate with a TV and a Wii that is frequently used. The large space on the floor in the center of the room invites people to sit or lie on it doing homework or other activities on their laptops while chatting with the others in the room. I can’t recall the specific events of that evening’s gathering, owing partly to my less than stellar memory but mostly to the overshadowing intensity of the extraordinary events that followed it.

It was probably around midnight when we were left alone and the more responsible of the three of us got to bed early for his eight a.m. class on Monday. The lights were turned off, and I and my other roommate worked independently on our laptops. Pretty soon I was the only one awake, still lurking around Zelda Dungeon, checking e-mail, seeing if BEN was up to anything, and other various things too trivial to have been committed to my memory. I wasn’t doing anything particularly engaging, but I didn’t feel like going to bed despite it being well past one a.m. Some more lurking followed, I checked a few sites I hadn’t been to in a while, and finally I managed to convince myself that it really wasn’t too early to go to bed since I had a class at ten and I might as well be well-rested for it.

After I climbed up to my lofted bed, I took off my glasses and set them atop the wardrobe next to the bed, where my Zune was resting. The latter I retrieved and turned on while deciding what to listen to tonight. I always have to listen to music to help me get to sleep; my mind is too active otherwise. I had decided to listen to my Zelda soundtracks chronologically through the games and had just pressed play when something rather unexpected happened. Instead of the classic 8-bit intro, I heard a high-pitched voice coming from my laptop below which I instantly recognized.

“Hey! Listen!”

It looped in the same manner as the youtube video I frequently used to troll my roommates. However, Sunday night while they’re asleep is certainly not a good time for trolling. I was stunned for a second in confusion and alarm while my mind fished for possible explanations. Several weeks ago I had experimented with setting a scheduled event on my laptop to play the Morning theme from The Wind Waker as an alarm, but that hadn’t worked out. No bite. Either way, I hadn’t watched this Navi video recently, and I never saved it to my hard drive, so why would it be the sound to violently break the silence? My mind didn’t have the patience for fishing. Surprise turned into concern for the two other people in my room who no doubt would be very much disturbed by this prank.

I jumped out of bed, landing very hard on my feet and nearly falling into a roll. My laptop resided directly beneath my bed, under which I had to carefully duck so as not to hit my head and make even more noise. Feeling in the dark for the correct key combination, I tried muting it. That had no effect. I tried the next key to turn the volume down to zero. Still nothing happened. I was squinting at the keys to double-check that I was using the correct ones when I noticed that the power light was off. The laptop wasn't even on! How could it be producing sound? More importantly, how could I stop it?

Worried that it was taking so long to stop the sound, I glanced up for a second to assess the damage so far. The roommate that was visible from where I was crouching, usually a sound sleeper, remained motionless (to my relief) so that I couldn't be certain if he was even in bed or if his blankets were just bunched up in such a way to make me believe so. I was certain however that failing to terminate this alarm quickly would lead to at least one very grumpy roommate, and possibly an angry bunch of blankets as well. Unable to think of anything else to try, I unplugged the laptop and started for the door, hoping to buy some more time to figure this out. My feet still hurt from the hard landing. I should have rolled.

On the way to the door I'm fairly certain I heard a stir from my other roommate's side of the room, and maybe even a low grumble. At this point it didn't matter. I was out the door so it wouldn't bother him anymore, and I could explain it in the morning. He's usually a reasonable person, and he should understand that I was completely powerless and was just as disturbed - no, much more disturbed than he was. Before the door was closed behind me I remembered all the other rooms in the hall. The sleepers within may not appreciate someone loudly calling "Hey! Listen!" from the hallway. Without losing any momentum, I dashed for the stairwell, the nearest door that didn't lead to a room.

I sat down on a step, opened the laptop and turned it on. Perhaps the volume controls would work when it was powered up, even though the speakers apparently worked regardless. The booting process was boring and familiar, so I let my eyes wander around the stairwell, which was equally boring under normal circumstances but slightly less familiar since I rarely used this one. My surprise returned and grew tenfold as I unexpectedly beheld something quite familiar.

I hardly need to describe the winged ball of some peculiar form of energy, except that its color was not that of any of the fairies in any Zelda game. It was some shade of green, perhaps a little bluer than a green LED, brighter in the center and dimmer toward the vague ‘surface’ where the energy wasn’t clustered as tightly. I stood up and blinked for several seconds. My mind must have been working very fast, but I don’t remember thinking anything during this time. My arms went limp and I nearly dropped my laptop before I managed to conjure enough sense to tighten my grip. My thoughts became more rational. What can explain this (certainly incorrect) perception? Did someone put something in my water? Am I dreaming?

Yes, that must be it. I’m still in bed with the Zelda soundtrack playing, inserting things into my unconscious imagination. But I’ve never achieved lucidity before. Could this be my first time? Without even trying? No, these sensations are too real. There are too many details in here in the stairwell - spots on the metal railings where the paint had peeled off; the aged and splotchy look of the concrete steps; the dust in the corners; the cold… I shivered.

The unearthly sphere still hovered in the air, slowly tracing a sinusoidal path around in a circle as if it hadn’t noticed me. I tried talking to it, nonchalantly so it wouldn’t be scared off.

“Is Link around?” I couldn’t think of any other reason it would be here.

It stopped moving in circles and faced me (as far as I could tell; it had no face of course), continuing its vertical oscillation. The answer I expected never came. I realized that it probably couldn’t talk, though it was still strange that it didn’t seem to attempt any type of communication. I had hoped it would at least be able to lead me to Link in an attempt to answer affirmatively to my question. Instead, it seemed to be waiting for some other response out of me. Okay, so if Link isn’t around somewhere…

I humored its expectant inaction. “Am I Link?”

It rapidly bobbed up and down as if it was attached to a string that had just been plucked. But the sound that echoed through the stairwell was more like it was ringing a bell, as if it was dancing on a glockenspiel. I pondered how a mere ball of light with wings was able to create such beautifully resonant tones. It wasn't something that had crossed my mind before; I had always just taken for granted that the fictional physics that allowed for the existence of such fairies in the games also allowed for the other inexplicable things they do. The fairies in the games can do whatever their designers want them to do. In fact, I remembered Tatl exhibit this exact behavior in Majora’s Mask.

I had to do another reality check at this point. Was I just piecing together experiences from the games in my imagination? I wasn’t aware that I still had an imagination. No, this was still as real as I knew reality to be. There I was, in the stairwell down the hall from my dorm room, in the middle of the night, in my pajamas, with my laptop– I now realized that my laptop wasn’t playing that awfully annoying “Hey! Listen!” loop anymore, although I never noticed it stopping. Another sound echoed through the stairwell: “Look!” This time my attention was focused on the right object. This sound – and probably the previous one – had come from my laptop!

I sat down again and opened it. It had finished booting by now, so I logged in, throwing several anxious glances up at the increasingly mysterious fairy. I had to try my password several times because my shaking hands made it difficult to type accurately. Once my desktop loaded, a notepad file automatically opened. On the screen appeared one question that I will never forget.

“Are you ready for an adventure?”

TheGreen

is climbin' in yo windows
That was quite good ^_^

It started off slow, but the situation was so familiar it had me hooked. So far the character is very relatable, and I'll admit I wasn't ready for the twist in there.

I look forward to reading more!

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
[OoC](I'll be enclosing all "Out of Character" sections of my posts in fake OoC tags so no one confuses me with the narrator)
Thanks; I'm glad to hear it's so enjoyable! It’s going to start getting a little more interactive now, and I’ll be releasing the next chapter in several parts throughout the day so that people have time to think about and respond to it. Hopefully if I can get enough participation we should be able to discover what this story’s all about by the end of the day. Here's the first part. Basically, you have to help the narrator through his adventure. See if you can help him figure things out before he does on his own.[/OoC]

CHAPTER 2 PART 1

The fairy flew not down the stairs to lead me outside, but up them. It seemed to me the strangest way to go since there’s only one floor above the fourth and there isn’t anything special there. Actually, I’ve never even been on the fifth floor. Up I followed, and then up some more. We didn’t stop on the fifth, but continued up past floors that hadn’t existed before.

I finally reached the twelfth floor, where the fairy was waiting for me. I was fatigued and moving much slower than I was around the fifth and sixth floors. By now I had accepted the fact that everything I knew about my world was subject to change on the whim of this “adventure.” I didn’t even look back at the magical staircase that had eleven flights instead of four; I followed the fairy through the door.

This led me into a strange corridor which twisted so that by the end the floor had become the wall. There were several pictures lining the walls which I didn’t recognize. I felt I should try to do all I can to familiarize myself with all this new information, so I took a few moments to study each of them as I progressed through the corridor. I didn’t feel like I wasn’t walking straight, but the corridor seemed to twist itself so that my feet were always down, even if I was standing on a spot that had seemed further up the wall from a distance. I periodically took a few steps back and even turned and tried to climb up a wall to test physics.

At the end of the twisted corridor was a wall of post boxes. Number 12 – slightly above eye level – was ajar, so I looked inside. At first I didn’t see anything, but rising on the tips of my toes I spotted a small piece of paper on the bottom. I guiltily looked back at the hallway, but the fairy seemed to encourage me to continue to be led by my curiosity. I slid out the paper and read it.

“Let Cyphixus Drwg bevvare!”

“Oh good, puzzles! My favorite part of any Zelda game!” I cheerfully explained to my new companion.

I want to post so that Mr. Locke can continue with his story, but I have no clue what to say... "Cyphixus" seems to have the word 'pixie' in it a bit, so knowing that pixies and fairies are pretty similar, so... "bevvare" could be 'beware' with the 'w' substituted with a double-v. So... warning the fairy character? Suspenseful, indeed...

Oh, but your writing abilities are really great, Locke! I hope your motivation to keep writing stays with you, because this story seems to have some really good potential in my eyes. :)

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
CHAPTER 2 PART 2

Finally, I was getting some direction to my adventure. My first impression of the note was that I was supposed to find Cyphixus and warn him about something. I had never heard this name before, except that I remembered “Drwg” was Welsh for something, although I wasn’t certain what. Fortunately, I was at least given a few clues to start thinking about.

First, the piece of paper the message was written on was key-shaped. It was much too flimsy to actually work like a real key, so I figured it must be a metaphorical key. The key to my adventure? The key to the next clue? I must be able to use it on something that’s available to me…

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
I love it! I like the way you added Zelda Dungeon into it :P Also, adding the link to the "Hey! Listen!" Soundtrack really made the story more real because every time you read the fairy parts you can hear it. I like it! Pretty original.

TheGreen

cyphixus? *goes to google translate*

I got one result from Cyphixus on google: http://quizilla.teennick.com/stories/8608261/the-adventures-of-foxguy-pt-1
Some story about fox walkers "(they walk on two legs)" lol

drwg means evil in welsh

In google translate, 'let' has a couple of meanings in different languages:
in danish: 'easy'
in Afrikaans(a germanic language, not african) and dutch: 'please'

Oh, just realized that in the foxguy story, the one I linked to above, the guy Cyphixus, is also known as the Dark One, and dark is a synonym for evil so perhaps. Google translate confirms that drwg means 'bad' in a few other languages/translations.

In italian 'bevvare' means drank, but I don't see that going anywhere

The capitalization of Drwg makes me think that it's proper noun as it is used in the foxguy story, also in that story is Efazra who is known as the Evil One. I'm prolly reading too much into it :P

I'll have to see what else happens :rolleyes:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
CHAPTER 2 PART 3

Suddenly, box number four popped open. I reached in and pulled out another small piece of paper. This one was severely burnt, and the only words still visible read:

“are pretty similar, so... "bevvare" could be 'beware' with the 'w' substituted with a double-v. So…”

This only confirmed the importance of the other clue I noticed. Comparing with the ‘w’ in the word “Drwg,” I was certain that “beware” was spelled with two ‘v’s, and it seemed it was done so intentionally. Unlike this new burnt note, which was typed, the note on the key was handwritten. Why would the writer trouble himself with lifting the pen to distinctly create two ‘v’ characters when the letter should have been a ‘w’?

The possibility grew in my mind that this wasn’t a mere warning, but the string of letters seemed important for something. I got out my laptop to jot down some notes. After copying down the two messages I had received, I thought I’d start by googling some of these words. However, it turned out that this new world that mine was evolving into had no concept of internet. Instead of Google, what loaded was a video of the Skyward Sword GDC trailer character laughing at me. It wasn’t the same scene recycled from the trailer. It’s hard to explain, but I got the feeling that the object of his ridicule wasn’t another character in the video, or even the generic ‘viewer;’ he seemed to be laughing directly at me.

Next I tried Zelda Dungeon to see if anyone there would believe the situation I’d found myself in. The laughter continued. I quickly closed the internet browser, never wanting to be subject to that terrible torture of self-esteem ever again. I would have to rely on things I find around me to solve this puzzle. I started playing around with the words in Notepad while awaiting more messages from the mailboxes.

TheGreen

Wait, he got a message thinking things that we said o_O? I hope not lol I'm not smart enough.

Also, trying to figure out if any of "Let Cyphixus Drwg bevvare!" is any sort anagram, but having no luck.

Also, trying to figure out if any of "Let Cyphixus Drwg bevvare!" is any sort anagram, but having no luck.

Anagrams... I can never crack them if I'm just given the letters. I'll come up with something silly like, (for let) Lick Electric Tarantulas or something. :sweat:

Oh, but now I'm curious as to how that letter go burnt... :thinking: Keep writing, Locke. As for me, I will be looking here to see if TheGreen's idea about anagrams might mean something.

Edit: whoa... wait a sec. The burnt letter was typed? And you quoted a exactly what I said... do I have a magical fax machine to the character? o_O ...Oh, I get it... You're confirming when one of our guesses are correct or not. That's cool. Now I see what you mean when you said "See if you can help him figure things out before he does on his own."

TheGreen

If you separate bevvare into bev and vare, google translate comes up with a bunch of different things, but based on what happened the last time the character opened his computer, I doubt that's where we're supposed to be looking.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
[

[OoC]If you're just reading this story now, this post needs some explaining. As MikauIncarnate describes below, chapter 2 part 4 appeared, then disappeared leaving only the bracket above. Much later, after the final part of chapter 2 was posted, on 04-02-2011 at 12:14 AM, the following was added. To get the full effect, do not read this until after reading "THE FINAL HOUR." I put it in spoiler tags to hide it for now, though it wasn't hidden when posted originally.[/OoC]

edit: Sorry if this doesn't get through. He's making it very difficult to communicate with you. If you're stuck, you should go see Caesar. He can help.

Last edited:

MikauIncarnate

Hero of the Zora
After about 3 seconds, I've discovered that it says 'reveal Recko Alloy,' which just so happens to be the name of this story. Hmmm. Mysterious. I'm going to see if 'Recko Alloy' shows up in anagramed form in that earlier message.

edit: nope

Locke, that post is being a bit confusing. It keeps disappearing and then reappearing differently. Currently, the fourth part of the chapter isn't there.

Last edited:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Locke, that post is being a bit confusing. It keeps disappearing and then reappearing differently. Currently, the fourth part of the chapter isn't there.
Arg, sorry. That's really wierd that it got deleted like that. I'll just post it again I guess.

CHAPTER 2 PART 4

Sure enough, another mailbox opened up above me. This time it was number seven. Again, it contained one burned piece of paper. After retrieving it, I tried opening a few of the other boxes around it out of curiosity. They were all locked. There was considerably less typing left on this paper. All I could make out was:

                            nt lan

ch: 'please'

    ed t

That didn’t help me much. Was I supposed to assume that the warning of Cyphixus Drwg was of some urgency? Or that the mysterious correspondent was polite and should be trusted? But it matched the typing of the previous message more than the writing on the key-shaped paper. On the back of this new message however was more writing. It was clearly visible, so it must have been written after the paper was burned, meaning it probably wasn’t from the same person. This message was blatantly encoded, unlike the first one which only hinted at a hidden meaning or purpose.

I added these clues to my notes and began trying to decipher the binary without the aid of the internet.

Hmmm... Don't know binary code all that well, but at least I still have my internets to have a translator tell me it says: "reveal Recko Alloy". The title finally has something to do with the story... but, I still don't know who or what Recko is, but I know what an alloy is. A duplicate thingymabob, I think... if I remember correctly, anyway...

The burnt message is confirming another post.

                            nt lan

ch: 'please'

    ed t

TheGreen said:
In google translate, 'let' has a couple of meanings in different languages:
in danish: 'easy'
in Afrikaans(a germanic language, not african) and dutch: 'please'

Oh, just realized that in the foxguy story, the one I linked to above, the guy Cyphixus, is also known as the Dark One, and dark is a synonym for evil so perhaps. Google translate confirms that drwg means 'bad' in a few other languages/translations.

So, maybe it does have to do with the Dark One...

Please, Dark One, beware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom