• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is This Ironic or What?

Azure Sage

Join your hands...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Have you noticed that...

In Ocarina of Time...

As Kid Link...

Hyrule Feild is fraught with danger...

Yet as Adult Link...

After Ganondorf has taken over Hyrule...

There are no monsters to be found in Hyrule Feild. Except for the occasional Poe.

Anyone else think that's strangely ironic?

Kaiser Kami

Warrior of Kaiser
Truly ironic...the only thing that happens is that it gets darker. I hacked the game and child Link played Adult Link's story very well until the Water Temple.but the Dark Link fight was ment for child Link it was so epic..I'm getting off topic, it is filled with irony.

Azure Sage

Join your hands...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Admit it, those skeleton things got pretty annoying.

The Stalchilds? Yes, I am sure we can all agree that those things are VERY annoying.

Truly ironic...the only thing that happens is that it gets darker. I hacked the game and child Link played Adult Link's story very well until the Water Temple.but the Dark Link fight was ment for child Link it was so epic..I'm getting off topic, it is filled with irony.

How'd you hack it to do that? I'd like to know...

SuperSilly

Horizon Walker
It is pretty interesting how the stalchildren are gone when you're adult link. Perhaps Ganondorf recruited them and had them help sack Hyrule Castle Town, and in the process many would have died. Yet, there are still Poes wandering around Hyrule field later. Maybe their bodies simply decomposed and their souls still couldn't rest.

It could also be that perhaps the evil magic from Ganondorf somehow 'canceled out' some of the evil magic pertaining to the stalchildren, thus only letting the stronger spirits roam. I don't see how this could really be though, seeing as there doesn't seem to be evidence of poes as young Link. (Not to mention that magic might not work that way.)

Of course, there's always the explanation that it was just a design choice made so that Epona wouldn't have to mow down stalchildren whenever Link went horseback riding at night. (Of course, I'm sure other design reasons would probably factor in if this is the case.)

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
The stal children tend to act on their own accord. I doubt the reason they are gone has anything to do with teaming up with the G-man.

SuperSilly

Horizon Walker
Point taken. I have to admit it's probably not as likely as my other mini-theories up there. :P Even so, maybe part of the battle was waged outside the walls at night, and then some got caught in the fray anyway, no need to be recruited.

If I recall correctly there is a big poe in front of the drawbridge next to the sign you see as you cross the drawbridge. I think the drawbridge is also broken when you return as an adult. Perhaps these are the results of the conflict happening outside the walls as well as inside? Then again, I suppose it taking place at night still needs to be proven, and perhaps that wouldn't be enough to get rid of them all anyway. Overall, just a thought.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
That is weird when you think about it.

Beside "game designers' choice" I have a dumb idea:

Every dictatorship brings a sense of order to the land -- The people may live in abject fear of being executed or sent to the labor-camps/prisons, but things like parks and city planning will be orderly and efficent, right? Trains gotta run on time to take people to the death-camps. Maybe the absence of the Stalchildren is a sign that Ganondorf has brought a certain order to Hyrule. His monsters populate certain areas (such as the temples), but the Stalchildren were a rogue nuiscence that had to be done away with for the sake of the iron fist.

Maybe.

Another dumb idea:

Maybe the Stalchildren were Ganondorf's all along - a sign of the evil that had been rising up in Hyrule ever since the last great war (that killed Link's parents). They were around in Link's younger days, but perhaps were phased out/done away with when they'd out "lived" their usefulness for one reason or another. No need for them to edge Kokiri territory after the Great Deku Tree died and the forest lay unprotected enough to be infiltrated by lots of Deku Babas and Mad Scrubs.

Djinn

and Tonic
It could be possible that the Stalchildren feared Ganondorf and never came out. When there was no great threat around they would run amok across Hyrule field attacking anything and anyone in their path. They were not afraid of Hyrule guards, which were asleep at night anyway so they could cause all the trouble they wanted on the few random Hylians that wondered around at night. But in the adult timeline, the looming eye of a dark god always watching over the land scares even undead troublemakers. That is a threat they can perceive and understand fully. And their spirits might actually detect the power of the golden goddesses when they look towards Hyrule Castle, so they remain in the ground hoping that nothing even scarier than they will find them hiding. Also Ganondorf commanded many more larger, and scarier monstrosities which would make very short work of the stalchildren that came out in the field.

There is also the fact that adult Link is carrying on his person the Sword of Evil's Bane on his back at all times. The weaker and lesser stalchildren might sense this and decide not to appear at all. Undead might not be very intelligent but they might know when to stay hidden when a warrior carrying a holy sword of defeating evil is walking around near them. The triforce of courage could also increase this effect in keeping away lesser enemies such as these. Normal monsters or moblins might only see some guy in green roaming around, but an evil spirit possessing an undead creature might be capable of seeing someone blessed by the gods carrying a sword of evil defeating power. And decide to avoid him completely.

The next idea I had was they are representational of young Link's first stepping out into the wide world away from the protection of the Deku Tree. The young Kokiri child's first step into a larger and more dangerous world. He was always told that he would die if he left the forest but he left anyway. No longer depending on the protection of the Deku Tree he is depending on himself and the world is a scary place. So this scary new world he will have to overcome and master is represented by the stalchildren that constantly attack him when he is out wondering the wilderness of Hyrule on hims own. And when he finally grows up and is strong enough the trivial dangers of the past are gone. He has larger threats to challenge him ahead and is no longer threatened by the stalchildren of the past.

jugglaj91

I am me....
That is ironic and never thought of that. Besides most of the time I am on Epona so I doubt they could catch me. Also on that, I always outran the stalchildren as they weren't very fast.

I also had a idea to expand on what Djinn was saying about the Deku Tree protecting Link. Right before you leave you have done the Deku Tree dungeon and then he passes away. So he wouldn't do much to protect Link anyway as he said his days were numbered anyway. But being what he is he could have been connected to the ground or earth and once he died his protection or little control he had was lost so the children ran about freely. Also makes sense if you think after the Forest Temple the Deku Tree Sprout pops up.

From a game design standpoint I think it is just because you don't use the field as much because of warps, Epona, etc. Also maybe so they don't get in the way during Poe hunting and because they just aren't a threat anymore to the player. Could also be that there aren't really people walking around the field after Ganon takes over so there is no one to attack so they move on.

germ1137

Lokomo Ninja
you know what, that IS pretty ironic! Though, i have to borrow Orcarina of Time from my neighbor, It doesn't make any sense to me. My theory is that Ganondorf spend most of his time turning people into ReDeads and he may have also sent all of his monsters to look for Zelda.

maybe they grew up alongside with link, being kids and all, maybe they became the redeads of castle town?

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Lol, nice find. It is ironic. I also noticed that the Peahats disappear when you become an adult, when this shouldn't be this case, since Ganondorf came to power when you were an adult, which means more things should be there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom