• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Ever Intentionally Mispronounce Words?

Do you ever intentionally mispronounce words?

• Yes

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I don't understand the question

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Is it just me? I do it for the sake of variety. So, because I'm bored basically. But do you ever intentionally mispronounce a word even though you know the correct pronunciation? Sure one runs the risk of sounding dumb in the company of someone who doesn't know you better, but I'll often employ a sort of subtle sarcastic tone to imply that I know what I'm doing. Doesn't much matter to me what anyone thinks of my expressions anyway. :D

One thing I'll do a lot is use the English vernacular. As in, British English instead of my native American English. Which makes me wonder, hey all you UK ZDers. Do you ever use the American pronunciations? Intentionally or otherwise. (and yeah, I know that's not a mispronunciation and neither is ours :P)

Reactions: Dio

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Absolutely. I know the American pronunciations annoys some British people so around those people I like to use Aluminum instead of Aluminium. For vase I like to use Vayse instead of Vars. And Zeeb-ra instead of Zeb-ra.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I pronounce a couple words using their British English variations. Lever (leave-er), zebra (zeh-bra), and the correct pronunciation of aluminium. I'm not sure when I started using them instead of their American English variants, but I do. Makes me feel kind of classy.

Last edited:

funnier6

Courage~
Trickeded (pronounced trick-uh-did) suspicuous (suh-spick-you-us) these are just for fun.

I'm also quite positive I say melancholy wrong but I don't care. :D

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
All the time :)

There's a thing me and my gf do based on this one time where she mispronounced this bottle labelled Frog Ranch that was styled like one word, so she said it like fro-Granch. Now any time we hear a phrase beginning with "for," like "for real," "for rent," "for lease," or "for sale," we change the "for" to "fro" and add a "g" where appropriate, so that they're turned into "fro greal," "fro grent," "fro glease," and "fro sale."

Recently I've taken up saying melk to annoy my gf, and saying nekid instead of naked like that episode from American Dad.

I'm also privy to overpronouncing foreign words I happen to know the native pronunciation to, like croissant and Yin & Yang (crwasuh, Een Yahng). Zymphonie instead of Symphony, etc.

Whenever I read out loud from a novel or script, I'll over-pronounce the -ed of any adjective form of verbs. Not the winged keys but the wing-Ed keys. I'll also occasionally pronounce some words like Yogi Bear says "pic-a-nic basket."

I'm sure there's more.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I do occasionally. I also have a P.E teacher that says "Al-fa-ber-teh-cully" (So basically alphabertically if you were to spell it), and he has no idea he is saying it wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom