• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is It Weird for Girls to <3 LOZ

Feverish

Source of stink
Excellent plan. Girls have to do as they are told by men after all.
Yeah, and I know a game they'll be pros at
220px-Cooking_Mama.JPG

We can always tell every girl in the world to start playing video games, I suppose

No what I'm saying is not all girls are make up enthusiasts and care about popularity..... there are also some who like video games. Not all guys play video games. Most play sports..... so what's the difference?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
No what I'm saying is not all girls are make up enthusiasts and care about popularity..... there are also some who like video games. Not all guys play video games. Most play sports..... so what's the difference?

I dont know what you are trying to get at.

I said already that most gamers are men and not many are girls. Therefore it is not normal for girls to play video games. If it were the norm then most gamers or half would be girls.

Unless you are claiming that most gamers are girls or that there is a relatively even split, (which would be a false claim) then my point still stands about it not being normal. You haven't refuted it and we don't need to continue this discussion.

I dont know what you are trying to get at.

I said already that most gamers are men and not many are girls. Therefore it is not normal for girls to play video games. If it were the norm then most gamers or half would be girls.

Unless you are claiming that most gamers are girls or that there is a relatively even split, (which would be a false claim) then my point still stands about it not being normal. You haven't refuted it and we don't need to continue this discussion.
Please show me a scientific study that proves that the majority is men, and I will totally agree with your claim.

Feverish

Source of stink
Please show me a scientific study that proves that the majority is men, and I will totally agree with your claim.
You need a scientific study when most gaming advertisements are very obviously geared towards men, twitch streamers are mostly men, and gaming in general has male smeared all over it?

You need a scientific study when most gaming advertisements are very obviously geared towards men, twitch streamers are mostly men, and gaming in general has male smeared all over it?
Yes I did and I got one, but that fact doesn't make it weird for females to play...

Kirino

Tatakae
The idea that girls playing video games is somehow weird or abnormal simply because a majority of women don't play games or because they don't make up a majority of people who do doesn't really follow. For something to be considered "normal" doesn't necessarily entail it being performed by at least 50% of a population, only that it be common, typical, and accepted behavior, which, in this case, generally applies.

It's also questionable whether those assertions about the prominence of women in gaming are even correct, as a simple google search alone reveals multiple studies that directly contradict your source and state that women actually make up the majority of gamers, or at least come very close; likewise, it isn't difficult to find sources stating that near half of women have played video games before, a rate comparable to men. Shockingly enough, looking up sources that conform to your preconceptions and picking the first one you find may not actually be representative of all research or evidence on the subject, and may not necessarily be an accurate way of discovering truth.

I don't know if the above statistics are correct because I haven't researched the topic, nor do I have any desire or inclination to, nor do I think the answer is even relevant to the discussion in the first place, but the idea that you've somehow "scientifically proven" that women playing video games is "weird" (according to your own arbitrary definition) because of an isolated and unsourced link that claims they make up less than 50% of gamers is so comically ignorant of basic standards of research and evidence as to almost be self-parodying.

Back to the actual, more specific subject of the thread, is a girl loving Zelda technically weird or abnormal? Yes, probably, but it's quite obvious that the topic is about whether it's weird in a negative sense and that it was asking about the personal opinion of the respondents, because otherwise the thread would consist of people arguing over meaningless semantics that are largely irrelevant to any sort of personal question or issue, as has now become the case.

The more socially adept among us understood the purpose of the thread and responded accordingly with what is the obvious answer to any rational person (i.e. no, of course not), but evidently some of us, who might struggle a bit more with such matters, failed to pick up on this. Or, perhaps more likely, they did understand it completely, but merely decided to use this thread as a means to flex their pseudo-intellectual muscles or show off their contrarian edginess to the rest of the forum, presumably in order to fill some deeper psychological desire. So I guess I'm not very impressed with the direction in which this thread has headed; not that it was much better originally when it was people just mindlessly repeating a truism, but at least it wasn't this obnoxious and cringeworthy.

Feverish

Source of stink
The idea that girls playing video games is somehow weird or abnormal simply because a majority of women don't play games or because they don't make up a majority of people who do doesn't really follow. For something to be considered "normal" doesn't necessarily entail it being performed by at least 50% of a population, only that it be common, typical, and accepted behavior, which, in this case, generally applies.

It's also questionable whether those assertions about the prominence of women in gaming are even correct, as a simple google search alone reveals multiple studies that directly contradict your source and state that women actually make up the majority of gamers, or at least come very close; likewise, it isn't difficult to find sources stating that near half of women have played video games before, a rate comparable to men. Shockingly enough, looking up sources that conform to your preconceptions and picking the first one you find may not actually be representative of all research or evidence on the subject, and may not necessarily be an accurate way of discovering truth.

I don't know if the above statistics are correct because I haven't researched the topic, nor do I have any desire or inclination to, nor do I think the answer is even relevant to the discussion in the first place, but the idea that you've somehow "scientifically proven" that women playing video games is "weird" (according to your own arbitrary definition) because of an isolated and unsourced link that claims they make up less than 50% of gamers is so comically ignorant of basic standards of research and evidence as to almost be self-parodying.

Back to the actual, more specific subject of the thread, is a girl loving Zelda technically weird or abnormal? Yes, probably, but it's quite obvious that the topic is about whether it's weird in a negative sense and that it was asking about the personal opinion of the respondents, because otherwise the thread would consist of people arguing over meaningless semantics that are largely irrelevant to any sort of personal question or issue, as has now become the case.

The more socially adept among us understood the purpose of the thread and responded accordingly with what is the obvious answer to any rational person (i.e. no, of course not), but evidently some of us, who might struggle a bit more with such matters, failed to pick up on this. Or, perhaps more likely, they did understand it completely, but merely decided to use this thread as a means to flex their pseudo-intellectual muscles or show off their contrarian edginess to the rest of the forum, presumably in order to fill some deeper psychological desire. So I guess I'm not very impressed with the direction in which this thread has headed; not that it was much better originally when it was people just mindlessly repeating a truism, but at least it wasn't this obnoxious and cringeworthy.
How arrogant can you possibly get? The purpose of the thread was to discuss if girls liking Zelda is weird or not, or people had the option of simply giving their opinion and leaving it be. You cannot decide what the thread should have been doing, as you are not the creator of it, nor are you in any stance to decide if someone is socially adept for discussing a matter, as discussing a topic is the purpose of a forum in the first place.

How arrogant can you possibly get? The purpose of the thread was to discuss if girls liking Zelda is weird or not, or people had the option of simply giving their opinion and leaving it be. You cannot decide what the thread should have been doing, as you are not the creator of it, nor are you in any stance to decide if someone is socially adept for discussing a matter, as discussing a topic is the purpose of a forum in the first place.
They were just giving there opinion... like the thread says....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom