• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What was Hyrule's civil war?

I was doing some TP theory-crafting when I realized: what the hell happened during Hyrule's Civil War? Who was fighting who? Why did it start, why did it end? Was it the Interloper War (no, right, the Interloper war happened before FS?) How was Ganondorf involved, or the Forest Temple etc.? Like, do we actually know what happened or is it all theory?

My preconceptions are that, after Skyward Sword and the Triforce's sealing in the Sacred Realm, the Hylians wanted to expand their territory to not just include the immediate area surrounding Hyrule Field etc. but also the desert, death mountain, lost woods etc. But then that wouldn't be a civil war, that would be a war of conquest; a war intended on expanding territory.

So then my thought was that the Gerudo and Sheikah betrayed the Hyrule Royal Family except that doesn't make any sense because the Sheikah's Shadow Temple was used by the king in the war. So maybe it was a schism within the Sheikah that sided with the Gerudo? But then why isn't Ganondorf already on trial for crimes committed during the war in the beginning of OoT?

Too many questions so I thought I'd leave it up to the forums. Any and all ideas would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dio

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
This has actually been something on my mind for years.

I believe TP's war ( involving the precursors to the Twili) and this civil war taking place 9 years before OOT are the same thing. The civil war is also mentioned in ALTTP's backstory.

This war I think was fought for the Triforce and it sounded like Every race was involved trying to obtain the power of the Gods for themselves (not just the magic tribe but the Gerudo, Zora, Hylian and Gorons) when somehow there was a undisclosed way to access the sacred realm. Could have been an alternative portal opened by the fused shadow as it is not common knowledge that the Temple of Time is an Entrance and therefore unlikely everyone was trying to get in that way.

It sounds like these Twili precursors ( in the Japanese version of TP they were skilled magic wielders native to Hyrule) are the ones who got closest to the goal and were sealed away by the light spirits just in time. The entrance to the sacred realm was also sealed once more.

It must have been after this that the Hylian king United with Darunia and King Zora sharing the keys to the Temple of Times entrance to the sacred realm as a symbol of peace.

The Gerudo of course were left out of this and it was only 9 years later when the prospect of once again going for the Triforce did Ganondorf decide to swear fealty to the Hylian King. No doubt the tribe resented the Hylians all these years and were easy to convince to assault Hyrule town and castle whilst Ganondorf tried to obtain the OOT.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom