• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Last person to post wins

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer

It's Mario Kart 64 that sucks. Easily my least favorite MarioKart. Royal Raceway in 8 goes crazy tho.
Because that wouldn’t be interesting and would just be Talladega Nights/Days of Thunder but animated
>Implying those movies aren't interesting.
No, I’m saying it wouldn’t be unique and wouldn’t be set apart from it’s racing movie counterparts if it was humans.
Tbh I wouldn't quite count Cars as a racing movie. Sure, it's about a racer, but it only has 2 racing scenes and the plot doesn't really center around racing like Days of Thunder and Talladega Nights does.

OGSniper

Sharpshooter for Hire
ZD Legend
Tbh I wouldn't quite count Cars as a racing movie. Sure, it's about a racer, but it only has 2 racing scenes and the plot doesn't really center around racing like Days of Thunder and Talladega Nights does.
You do make an excellent point. I agree with you on that.

MightyMario

The Mightiest Mario
Uh

Did we watch the same movie

McQueen’s motivation to get to California first for the big race is what sets the plot in motion, he WANTS to get there first so he can win the race and rub it in Chick Hicks’ mustache grille that he got the Dinoco sponsorship. He and the other characters mention it several times when he’s in Radiator Springs, such as…

When he first gets to Radiator Springs and wakes up in the impound lot, he says to Mater:

Lightning McQueen: What?! Look, I need to get to California as fast as possible, where am I?

Shortly afterwards in the traffic court:

Lightning McQueen: [to Sheriff] Officer, talk to me, babe. How long is this gonna take? I gotta get to California, pronto.

When he gets hooked up to Bessie:

Lightning McQueen: Whoa, whoa, whoa! How long is this gonna take?!
Doc Hudson: Well, fella does it right, should take him about 5 days.
Lightning McQueen: 5 days!? But I should be in California schmoozing Dinoco right now!

When he gets freed from Bessie by Mater:

Lightning McQueen: WHOO-HOO! Goodbye, Radiator Springs, and goodbye, Bessie! California, here I come! Yeah! Oh, feel that wind! Yes!

When he meets Van and Minny:

Lightning McQueen: Yeah, yeah,yeah. No, not really. But listen. I'm Lightning McQueen, the famous race car. I'm being held here against my will. [Van then grins as Minny smiles at McQueen.] And I need you to call my team, so they can rescue me, and get me to California in time for me to win The Piston Cup. Do you understand?

Shortly after this, he hears on the radio that Chick arrived in California first, which leads to him doing a half-assed job on the broken road so he can get out of Radiator Springs as quickly as possible.

Radio: [through the radio] ...after a Piston Cup update. Still no sign of Lightning McQueen. Meanwhile, Chick Hicks arrived in California and today became the first car to spend practice time on the track.

Lightning McQueen: [Then McQueen's daydream ends as the screen shows the present day. McQueen gasps] Oh! Mater, let me get this straight. I can go when this road is done. That's the deal, right?
Tow Mater: That's what they done did said.
Lightning McQueen: Okay, outta my way. I got a road to finish.

Later in the movie, when it seems that McQueen has left the town after finishing the road properly, Sarge remarks:

Sarge: Well, we wouldn't want him to miss that race of his.

When McQueen shows up, Mater says to him after he asked why Red was crying:

Tow Mater: [not realizing who he's talking to] Oh, he's just sad because you left town, and went to your big race to win the Piston Cup that you've always dreamed about your whole life and get that big ol' sponsor and that fancy helicopter you was talking about.

Plus there’s this:

Lightning McQueen: I'm not sure these tires... [Luigi gasps excitedly] ...can get me all the way to California.

Remember when McQueen failed and failed again while trying to drift on the dirt and got Doc (who was a racing legend unknown to the townsfolk) and his advice to learn from? Remember when all the news people and Mack show up in Radiator Springs to take McQueen to the big race because Doc called them?

Remember when the townsfolk showed up at the race to support McQueen after all he did for them, with Doc as his crew chief?

You say the movie where everyone is a car, with a racecar who is the main character with his main goal to win the big race with the help of a former Piston Cup legend who teaches him valuable lessons about racing and life in general, is not considered a racing movie even though how much it factors into the entire film as a whole?

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
McQueen’s motivation to get to California first for the big race is what sets the plot in motion,
But then the plot is about him learning to slow down and make friends.
Lightning McQueen: I'm not sure these tires... [Luigi gasps excitedly] ...can get me all the way to California.
The point he was making wasn't about getting to the track, it was about giving his friend Luigi a chance to do what he loves.
Remember when the townsfolk showed up at the race to support McQueen after all he did for them, with Doc as his crew chief?
Emphasis on "all he did for them." Do you remember how he got the opportunity to drive for the team he'd been dreaming of driving for but turned it down because, get this, he wanted to stick with the people he'd grown to love? Racing is a huge part of the movie, I'm not denying that. It's just not the centerpiece of the plot, so I hesitate to call it a "racing movie"

MightyMario

The Mightiest Mario
But then the plot is about him learning to slow down and make friends.
Yes, but also the plot is about McQueen trying to get to the big race, though he acts like a doink in the first part of the movie, he eventually gains their trust and they end up showing up to help him out in said race. The plot centers around McQueen’s desires to win and race, with him slowly accepting the townspeople of Radiator Springs also.
The point he was making wasn't about getting to the track, it was about giving his friend Luigi a chance to do what he loves.
I put that one in because McQueen mentions California, but I see your point.
Emphasis on "all he did for them." Do you remember how he got the opportunity to drive for the team he'd been dreaming of driving for but turned it down because, get this, he wanted to stick with the people he'd grown to love? Racing is a huge part of the movie, I'm not denying that. It's just not the centerpiece of the plot, so I hesitate to call it a "racing movie"
Fair point, but that’s still technically apart of the race itself and he helped out the King too. Though he turned down the sponsorship, it was still a big part of the movie with McQueen pining for it.

MightyMario

The Mightiest Mario
I never said that racing itself wouldn’t be interesting, but that there would be nothing that would seperate Cars from those films other than being animated by Pixar

Link&Midna

K-Dawg
clara-dorre-prince-sidon.jpg

I feel like I need financial compensation for looking up your username
LMAO I saw this earlier but my phone wasn't letting me copy the pic, I'm glad someone decided to use it for torment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom