• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How often do you pick the opposite gender for a create-a-character?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I think there's a few facets to this but I want to look at two, one where you create a character that's fully customizable, and the other where it's just choosing your gender and the male/female character have a set design for the most part. Another angle I thought of is choosing which pre-established character to play as but I think I want to focus on the blank character side of it.
Also this is just as it applies to your first/main playthrough of a game. Obviously you can go wild in subsequent playthroughs.

Full customizable character: I haven't played much of these types of games, but when I do, it's always male for me. If the point of it is to be a self insert then sure, I try to make it as similar to me as I can while taking whatever creative liberties that come to mind, which generally isn't much. Although if there is a "canon" look to this character then I'd generally go for that instead. A few of the games I've played that have a custom character are Pikmin 4, Xenoblade X, Tony Hawk's Underground, and Phantasy Star Online. Might be more but these are off the top of my head.

Choose your gender: This one actually depends on the design of the male/female characters. I've definitely gone female if I find the design more appealing than the male's. Pokemon games are the main ones I think of w/ a set design for the genders, and it's been about half and half for which gender I picked. I would say the same about modern Fire Emblem but those tend to have a romance element so that leads me to pick male.

Last edited:
For me, I always pick female, I'm male in real life. But for some reason, I always pick female if it's an option. Don't know why. But it's probably a good thing I do, especially in the Pokémon games. There's a lot more options for clothing in the Pokémon games for female usually.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
It depends on the character I want to play as. I don't play as myself, I play as ocs. I usually default to Azure, and if I can't make him, I go for someone else, but sometimes I have other ocs in mind that I want for a specific game, like how I used Tshering as my main file in MHRise. It's a case by case basis.

For games that are just "pick a gender" without any customization at all, I usually pick the male and name him Azure anyway. Sometimes I'll switch back and forth between multiple runs though, if that's a thing.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I rarely find enough customizable options I like for males in full-on character creators to make it feel like a proper self-insert, so I usually opt for a female character designed however I like most like I do in MonHun or FF14.

If it comes down to two heavily pre-set designs like in FE, then I usually go male since romance is an eventual thing in those games.

For complete customization, I usually try to make Mima Touhou, so I generally go with female.
As for other games with minor customization, I usually just go with whatever character design I like the most-- for instance, In Dragon Quest Builders 2, I just really disliked the overall design of the female character and decided to play through as the male one instead.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Almost exclusively. For whatever reason I shifted into playing female characters at some point after Mass Effect 3. If I can create a character who choose who to play then I almost exclusively choose the female option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom