• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How much do you play games you hate?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I've got like 350+ hours in Monster Hunter World/Iceborne and I strongly dislike it. I think it's one of the weakest entries in the series and althought it's an important technological step forward for the series I think it's frustrating how so many people worship it just cuz muh high fidelity graphics. Even the original demo for Rise was way more fun than Iceborne ever was at its peak. I still played it a lot at the time because Monster Hunter is just like that. 350+ hours sounds like a lot but in MonHun it's really not. I have over 1000 hours in three other separate entries in the series. World is actually the game I've played the least of. MonHun is just like that.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I don't know about hate but I've more so done putting time into a game to realize that I don't like it, and at best, I put roughly 20 hours into a certain game before I realized that I'm just not going to enjoy it if I continue, which was above my threshold of 3 - 5 hours to give a game a chance

and I suppose similarly tears of the tears I kept playing just to be done w/ it, when I personally was through w/ it after finishing the main 4 dungeons/regional phenomena quests

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I think you have to have real poor judgment if you can't decide whether you like a game or not early on. I don't typically buy games that I haven't researched or set proper expectations for. So if a game has a slow start and then gets good some hours into it, I would be aware enough to know that going in.

A game would have to be either really poorly made, extremely bland, or just flat out not my thing for me to put it down and never look back and I've put up with some stinkers. Which is why it's important to clarify what exactly makes you hate a game.

For example, I hate Resident Evil 7 and Village. I think they ruined the series in pretty much the same way Resident Evil 4 did in 2005. Yet, I've played and enjoyed all these games to varying to degrees because they're well made games I would be inclined to praise more if they weren't called Resident Evil.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
When it comes to Zelda games I finish them anyway because I want to play them. But I don't replay them anymore.
When it comes to games I really don't know and want to try it anyway I put them aside if I don't like them. Fortunately this doesn't happen often. And I usually check out a gameplay on youtube to see if I'm going to like it

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
But my perspective is that I have to play it to actually know exactly how much I like it, or more specifically I have to play it to know what the game does well vs poorly
I don't disagree here but 500 hours?? I feel like that crosses the line from "getting fair criticism before deciding you don't like a game" into "playing this game to make yourself miserable and get things to complain about."

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I think the only game I played that I hated was Skyward Sword. I mostly finished it because A. It was a Zelda game B. It was 2020 and was bored, and C. I kept thinking I was closer to the end than I really was and eventually decided I didn't want my suffering to be for nothing so I had to finish it. Didn't play any more of it than I had to though and probably wouldn't play it again. Any other game, if I disliked it that much, I'd drop it immediately.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
I don't disagree here but 500 hours?? I feel like that crosses the line from "getting fair criticism before deciding you don't like a game" into "playing this game to make yourself miserable and get things to complain about."
elden ring is a very big game tbf
500 hours in elden ring is like having 50 hours in ocarina of time

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I used to be mildly positive of Breath of the Wild, so naturally I put quite a few hours into the game. Then after my third play through by the time I realized I hated the game I already had a good 250 combined hours in it.

For a game that I’ve hated ever since it released, it took me about 50 hours to finish TotK. Most of that was searching for the fabled “fun part” to happen.

Now for most other games it depends on how long it takes me to decide that a game isn’t for me. For instance, it took me quite some time for me to fully recognize the problems I had with Hollow Knight, meanwhile it took Uncharted a whopping 2 hours for its crap to get on my nerves to the point where I had to put it down.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Kinda just depends. I have completed some games I ended up disliking just to say I finished 'em, like Skyward Sword for a Zelda example. Disliked that game a lot more after a full playthrough and will never touch it again. But I really didn't have the patience to slog through Hyrule again in Tears for what felt like BotW 1.25 after about 10ish hours of game time.

To be honest, I've just gotten less and less patient about games not getting rolling with their pacing or having to wait for "the good part" to where I'll drop something if it lags after even a couple hours from starting. I don't feel like wasting time with something that might get good when I can play something that already is. If something gets bad later on after having a strong start, I won't really hesitate to drop it either.

I'm willing to give a franchise a second chance if a particular game doesn't appeal to me. I hated the original Metroid as my introduction to the franchise, but I'n glad I gave the franchise another go because I enjoy all the other installments a lot.

For individual IPs, I'll revisit the game after a few years to see if I've changed my mind, but I won't force myself to play the game if I still don't enjoy it. I remember Kid Icarus Uprising didn't initially click with me, the I'm glad I stuck with it and now love it despite its awful controls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom