• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Boss Design vs. Champion Design

Spoilers for bosses:

I was fighting Fireblight Ganon, and as someone who hadn't really paid attention to the bosses in the game, I realized that the weapon type that the boss uses matches the weapon type that the champion used when fighting them. Mipha used the Lightscale Trident (a spear weapon) and Waterblight uses a spear. Urbosa used the Scimitar of the Seven, a single-handed weapon and Thunderblight uses a single-handed blade. Fireblight uses a bigger double-handed weapon and Daruk used the Boulder Breaker. And Revali uses his bow and Windblight has a Guardian laser which kind of functions as a bow.

ANOTHER CONNECTION: Each of the bosses is weak to one of the runes. Fireblight can be taken down with bombs, Windblight spawns little triangle things that can be statis'd, Waterblight shoots those cryonis blocks, and Thunderblight has those magnesis rods.

I wonder: if the bosses weren't so constrained to the weapon-type format, the element format, and the rune format (each needing to fit into one of the categories) if they could have made more interesting designs. In "normal" Zelda games, boss designs are structurally allowed more freedom, but the devs kind of backed themselves into a corner by going with this limited scope of ideas. Maybe it was time constraints?

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
Forum Volunteer
ANOTHER CONNECTION: Each of the bosses is weak to one of the runes. Fireblight can be taken down with bombs, Windblight spawns little triangle things that can be statis'd, Waterblight shoots those cryonis blocks, and Thunderblight has those magnesis rods.
I wonder (AoC content warning) if this would work in those AoC mission where you can fight champions. Revali moves so quickly, stasis would def be useful against him. Bombs to stop Daruk's rolling, magnesis to pull away Urbosa's swords, and cryonis to block Mipha's stab attacks.
In that sense, the blights and the champions have the same strengths and weaknesses. The blights just beat them at their own game.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
ZD Champion
I wonder (AoC content warning) if this would work in those AoC mission where you can fight champions. Revali moves so quickly, stasis would def be useful against him. Bombs to stop Daruk's rolling, magnesis to pull away Urbosa's swords, and cryonis to block Mipha's stab attacks.
In that sense, the blights and the champions have the same strengths and weaknesses. The blights just beat them at their own game.
who are you?!
I'm you but better

I think it was part of being rushed. Nintendo said once they had to rush the game out to avoid a 2nd delay as they wanted to do some fine tuning more but they desperately needed something other then a cow milking game. Yeah anything but that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom