• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best Nintendo System

Best Nintendo System

• NES

• SNES

• N64

• Gamecube

• Wii

• Wii U

• Switch

• Gameboy (Orig to Latest)

• Virtual Boy

Results are only viewable after voting.

Daku Rinku

Dark Link
IMG_4447.jpeg

Which do you think was the best Nintendo System in its time?

Factors to consider that can help in a decision is advancement in graphics, art style of levels, gameplay, the games themselves (were they mostly hits?), nostalgia, difficulty of games, and so forth.

For myself the answer is N64. The leap from 2D to 3D video games was intense and beautiful. It could have been a mess, but Mario Kart, Super Mario 64, and others proved out the gate Nintendo knew what they were doing. I was hooked. However, it was Ocarina of Time that changed it all for me.. the open world, the story, the gameplay.. it was magnificent. I use to explore and wander all day, ride Epona around and enjoy the beauty of Hyrule.

In between I enjoyed Rare games like Banjo Kazooie & Tooie, was majorly addicted to them and Donkey Kong 64. I loved Beetle Adventure Racing (finding those secret paths), Extreme G, GoldenEye introduced me to FPS which would be crucial for Halo, and Star Wars Episode I: Podracer. And to my astonishment, at the end of N64’s lifespan one of my all time favorite Video Games arrived with its unique aesthetic, Paper Mario, which introduced me to turn based rp gameplay.

I will always have the greatest nostalgia for N64. Those were great years of my life. :)

Last edited:

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
The Switch is the best in terms of software.

Absolutely amazing entries for Zelda, Super Mario, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros., Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Metroid, Splatoon, Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, and Kirby, among others.

Plus we've seen revivals of dormant IPs like Famicom Detective Club, Pokémon Snap, and Clubhouse games as well as great new IPs like Arms and Astral Chain.

Mainstream Pokémon games being inconsistent and subpar framerates on some third party games are the only major blemishes for the Switch's software.

It definitely has its fair share of hardware problems thanks to Joycon drift, though.

So my pick for best Nintendo hardware is the Gamecube.

It has a very compact design, and the controller is extremely comfortable and, for my money, the best controller Nintendo has ever made.

Daku Rinku

Dark Link
The SNES, no question.

Some great games!

A Link To A Past (Has a special place in my heart)
Super Mario Kart (true Kart fans began here in 16bit glory)
Super Mario World (arguably the best 2D Mario game of all time, finding all the secret switches, worlds, and co-op was so much fun)
Donkey Kong Country (this was the GOAT, the reason to buy SNES)
Donkey Kong Country II: Diddy Kong’s Quest (GOAT II, so good, even the music, but very hard)
Radical Rex (Not a classic, but rad with fun)

Daku Rinku

Dark Link
The Switch is the best in terms of software.

Absolutely amazing entries for Zelda, Super Mario, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros., Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Metroid, Splatoon, Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, and Kirby, among others.

Plus we've seen revivals of dormant IPs like Famicom Detective Club, Pokémon Snap, and Clubhouse games as well as great new IPs like Arms and Astral Chain.

Mainstream Pokémon games being inconsistent and subpar framerates on some third party games are the only major blemishes for the Switch's software.

It definitely has its fair share of hardware problems thanks to Joycon drift, though.

So my pick for best Nintendo hardware is the Gamecube.

It has a very compact design, and the controller is extremely comfortable and, for my money, the best controller Nintendo has ever made.
The Gamecube was where Nintendo took major risks:

Luigi’s Mansion (A launch mario game with Mario Missing?!)

Mario Kart Double Dash (it changed gameplay mechanics by letting two players be in one kart, this allowed my young nephew to play till he could learn to drive karts. MK hadn’t taken risks since.)

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle (Sonic crosses over to Nintendo is a better SA2 re-release with the expanded Chao Garden and multiplayer, I logged a lot of hours, “let me show you my true power..” -Shadow)

The Gamecube also was insanely strong, I had a friend accidentally pull their controller and it threw the cube into air and crashed on the floor. No dent. Later on X-Play (Video Game Show with Morgan Webb and Adam Sessler) they test dropped a PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube from two to three stories, Xbox broke to pieces, PS2 did not work, Gamcube’s diac opening port was damaged, but it played fine!!!

Ashley the Witch

ZD Champion
I can never decide on a favorite console, It's always a war between the Wii U, SNES, GameCube, and Switch. But I know for a fact what my least favorite Nintendo console is.
The Wii.

Daku Rinku

Dark Link
I can never decide on a favorite console, It's always a war between the Wii U, SNES, GameCube, and Switch. But I know for a fact what my least favorite Nintendo console is.
The Wii.
The Wii made games dumbed down for casual gamers. I agree. The only title I loved was The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn’s Quest, which basically was just Zelda Lotr. XD

But riding through Rohan.. that was a joy.

Ashley the Witch

ZD Champion
The Wii made games dumbed down for casual gamers. I agree. The only title I loved was The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn’s Quest, which basically was just Zelda Lotr. XD

But riding through Rohan.. that was a joy.
There's a lot more reasons why I hate the Wii.
And all of it mostly stems from me being left-handed. And the fact that they only have two games in the entire consoles library with left-handed support.

Daku Rinku

Dark Link
There's a lot more reasons why I hate the Wii.
And all of it mostly stems from me being left-handed. And the fact that they only have two games in the entire consoles library with left-handed support.
Did you ever try to buy the classic controller? I used it for MK Wii and other titles.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
for the sheer amount of games, it has to be the Switch for all the new and old you can play on it

although I can't not mention the GameCube and SNES for their own libraries too

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom