Subterranean Lava Dragon: Volvagia, or more simply known as just Volvagia, is the Boss of the Fire Temple, the fifth Dungeon in Ocarina of Time. It is unknown how it flies without the aid of wings or any other flight-capable appendages.
Volvagia appears as a large, red, orange-bellied snake. It has two arms with three fingers each and large, curved horns. Perhaps the most interesting feature of Volvagia's appearance is the rock-like 'mask' on his face. In addition to that, a fiery mane protrudes from the back of its head.
Volvagia was a plague to the Gorons and was renowned for its insatiable appetite for them. It was finally defeated and put to rest by the Hero of the Gorons using the legendary hammer. Volvagia was actually dead prior to the game taking place, but during Ganondorf's reign of Hyrule, Volvagia was re-animated by him. Ganondorf was going to have Volvagia eat the Gorons, exterminating them to send a message to anyone who may try and oppose him. Darunia, knowing himself to be a descendant of the original Hero of Gorons, set off to attempt to defeat Volvagia, unfortunately without the help of the Megaton Hammer.
This worm-like oblong dragon has you trapped on a hexagon shaped platform surrounded by lava. Should you fall in, don't worry, cause you can climb up the sides and back onto the main platform. Should the need arise, you can actually climb off to the side on purpose to avoid being attacked by any of his moves. All its attacks are somewhat awkward to avoid and they all do a great deal more damage than the other bosses you've faced thus far.
Volvagia has three main attacks it cycles through somewhat randomly. The first is flying up to the ceiling and bumping against it, causing flaming rocks to fall down. Generally, they fall where you were standing when he first went up to the ceiling, so going to the opposite side of the arena usually fixes that problem. In either case, run away from shadows.
The second attack is to come out of the lava and fly around the arena, trying to breathe fire at you. While this does loads of damage and knocks you over, potentially into the lava below, it's easily avoided by simply standing next to the hole he originally comes out of, as he doesn't have a very tight turn radius.
His third attack is to stick his head out and lean over the edge, pausing a moment before breathing fire or smacking you if you're close enough. This is your chance to teach him a lesson. Each time he does this, run over and smack him in the head with your Hammer. This will stun him and give you the opportunity to slash away with your sword.
As he takes more damage, he'll stall more in his appearance out of the nine lava holes, trying to trick you into running to different ones. It's pretty easy to keep track of though, simply because he'll have two in a row that are fake, then the third one is him. The best method is to simply stand near the middle and run towards the last one. Because lava doesn't hurt you immediately to walk on it now, feel free to walk over the holes themselves.
Like when most bosses are defeated, Link acquires a Heart Container for his brave efforts. A portal to the Sacred Realm appears, causing Link to come face-to-face with Darunia, who reveals himself to be the Sage of Fire. Darunia then bestows upon Link the Fire Medallion, bringing him one step closer to his confrontation with Ganondorf.
- Volvagia uses the same route as an Arwing from Star Fox 64.
- ↑ "A long time ago there was an evil dragon named Volvagia living in this mountain. That dragon was very scary! He ate Gorons! Using a huge hammer, the hero of the Gorons... BOOOM! Destroyed it just like that. This is a myth from long ago, but it's true! I know, because my dad is a descendant of the hero!" — Link the Goron, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Everybody was taken to the Fire Temple... While my dad was out... Ganondorf's followers came and took them all away! All of them will be eaten by Volvagia! Dad said that Ganondorf has revived Volvagia... As a warning to those who might oppose him, Ganondorf is going to feed them all to Volvagia! Dad went to the Fire Temple all by himself to try to save everyone... Please help, Link! I'll give you this heat-resistant tunic!" — Link the Goron, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Who's there? Is that you, Link...? Oh, it really is Link! You've grown so big since I last saw you! I want to have a man-to-man talk with you, but now's not the time. Ganondorf is causing trouble on Death Mountain again! He has revived the evil, ancient dragon Volvagia! On top of that, he is going to feed my people to that evil dragon as a warning to other races that might resist him... If that fire-breathing dragon escapes from the mountain, all of Hyrule will become a burning wasteland! I will go on ahead to try to seal up the evil dragon... I'm concerned, though, because I don't have the legendary hammer... But I have no choice. Link...I'm asking you to do this as my Sworn Brother... While I'm trying to deal with the dragon, please save my people! The prisoners' cells are in the opposite direction. I'm counting on you, Link!" — Darunia, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ " By the way, I, the wild Darunia, turned out to be the great Sage of Fire... Isn't that funny, Brother? Well, this must be what they call destiny. Nothing has made me happier than helping you seal the evil here!" — Darunia, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Hey, Brother, take this! This is a Medallion that contains the power of the fire spirits--and my friendship." — Darunia, Ocarina of Time.