|Spoiler Alert! This section describes a subject that is sensitive to plot development.|
The race consists of gentle, pure hearted people who have lived peacefully for many years, but there are some among the Twili who believe the people of the Light World are oppressing them. They appear as humanoids, wearing wraps around most of their body, with the exception of their face. Ceremonial shadow armor is also worn by the Twili, seen on Zant in the duration of Twilight Princess. The Twili are governed by the Royal Family who chooses the next ruler by the members selecting among themselves to inherit the leadership. The ruler of the Twili is also presented with magic such as the ability to completely destroy the Mirror of Twilight. Being descended from the Dark Interlopers, who were banished by being sent through the Mirror of Twilight for trying to seek dominion over the Sacred Realm, the Twili's ancestors evolved over time in the isolation of the realm, becoming the Twili.
After Zant took over the royal family of the Twilight Realm, the Twili were cursed to become Shadow Beasts by the King of Shadows, subjecting them to do his bidding. Once Zant sealed away the Sols from the Pedestals of Light, the Twili gradually turned into the shadow beasts but not completely. Passed down in the Twilight Realm, a legend states that the savior of the realm shall appear as a divine beast. As prophesied by the Twili, Link is the chosen hero of the Gods that turns into a wolf instead of becoming a spirit when entering Twilight.
After obtaining the rest of the Mirror Shards, Link is able to enter the home of the Twili in order to confront Zant at the Palace of Twilight. While exploring the palace, he confronts the cursed Twili. In order for the curse on the Twili to be lifted, Link must use the Sols to restore the Twili's original form before they turn completely into shadow beasts.
- ↑ "The inhabitants are gentle, pure hearted creatures who make their homes within the realm's radiance." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 114
- ↑ "The people of the Twilight lived in peace for many years, but there were those among them who felt that the denizens of the Light World were oppressing them." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 114
- ↑ "Clad in ceremonial shadow armor, Zant remains motionless as the Spirit Lanayru rises from his lake." — Prima Games Twilight Princess Strategy Guide, pg. 243
- ↑ "Members of the powerful royal family choose one from among themselves to inherit the position of leader." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 114
- ↑ "But would they acknowledge me as their king? No! And as such, I was denied the magic powers befitting our ruler." — Zant, Twilight Princess.
- ↑ "Only the true leader of the Twili can utterly destroy the Mirror of Twilight...so Zant could merely break it into pieces." — Midna, Twilight Princess.
- ↑ "A unique race of beings who reside within the Twilight world, the Twilis have been cursed by the wicked king of shadows, Zant." — Prima Games Twilight Princess Strategy Guide, pg. 16
- ↑ "Clouds of darkness covered the Twilight Realm, and the Twili began transforming into demons." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 114
- ↑ "The Sols were like the suns that illuminate this world. Once they were lost, everyone began to transform..." — Midna, Twilight Princess.
- ↑ "My people are still not true beasts. If we can defeat Zant, there still might be time to save everyone!" — Midna, Twilight Princess.
- ↑ "According to a legend passed down in the Twilight, the savoir of the world would appear in the form of a beast." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 115
- ↑ "In our world, we've long believed that the Hero would appear as a divine beast." — Midna, Twilight Princess.
- ↑ "Once you're outside, the Sol will be safe. Use it to lift the curse from the Twili, then place it in one of the two slots in the area's center section." — Nintendo Power Twilight Princess Strategy Guide, pg. 126
- ↑ "Pass the Long Twili on the way back to the central plateau, and an amazing transformation occurs! The Twili loses height and reverts back to his normal state." — Prima Games Twilight Princess Strategy Guide, pg. 413
- ↑ "Thank you, [Link]... Because of you, these Twili returned to normal." — Midna, Twilight Princess.