Fishmen are found in the ocean around every island in The Wind Waker. They can be fed All-Purpose Bait to convince them to give Link important information about the island they are located at. They also hear all the gossip throughout the Great Sea. They don't get to have fun often, so when they can they will ask Link to play a mini-game.
The first Fishman Link meets is off the coast of Dragon Roost Island. As Link is leaving to head to Forest Haven and locate Farore's Pearl, the Fishman calls out to him, telling him to wait. He points out his Sea Chart's lack of islands, and then helps him out by drawing a map of Dragon Roost on the chart and telling him what he knows about the location. He then explains how there are Fishmen at every island in the sea, and if Link throws in bait for them, they will all offer information about the specific island. He then tells the King of Red Lions that that he has "repaid his debt", though it is unclear what he meant. From then on, every Fishman around the sea agrees to fill in Link's Sea Chart and give him info.
If Link throws bait to the same Fishman twice, he complains about the type of bait but repeats the information for Link anyway. After Link has obtained the Hero's Bow, the Fishman will comment on it and ask if Link is interested in a game. In the game, Link fires arrows at the Fishman as he jumps out of the water. Each time he hits him, he gains 10 Rupees, and if he gets a perfect score he gets 200 Rupees.
At the end of the Wind Temple, Link leaves the dungeon to find the King of Red Lions speaking with a Fishman. He informs the king that the Forsaken Fortress has been evacuated of monsters.
- ↑ "'Hoy! Hold it right there, small fry!" — Fishman, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "I don't know where you got your mitts on that Sea Chart you got there..." — Fishman, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "But it looks to me like it's pretty much got nothing but seas drawn on it! It's pathetic! In fact, it's almost an insult to call that thing a Sea Chart, if you ask me!" — Fishman, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Just listen, OK? I'm here to teach you what I know about this island, so open up your Sea Chart! And make it snappy!" — Fishman, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Yeah, those Grappling Hooks... Nothing pulls up stuff like those things." — Fishman, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "'Hoy! You there! You Kingly Red Lion guy! That's it! I've repaid my debt! I'm done! You take care of the rest!" — Fishman, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Yeah, yeah, I've heard. I take it you want a chart and information about this island? Then start by opening up your Sea Chart!" — Fishman, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Aww! Gimme a break! What's with using the same bait all the time? Don't they make a premium brand of this stuff? Oh, well. Such is the life of a fish. So... You want to hear the info about this here island again?" — Fishman, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "...Hey, what's that? Why, small fry! That's a fine-looking bow you got there! Where'd you get that? If you're not in any kind of hurry, why don't you stop and play with me a bit? OK Sorry" — Fishman, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Hoo hoo! Of course you will, fry! And to be honest, you'll be helping me out. See, I've been having some ferocious body aches that only acupuncture can cure! Check it out: I'll give you 10 arrows for that bow of yours, and I want you to aim those suckers at me when I leap out of the sea! Yeah! See if you can't peg me with 'em! For each arrow you nail me with, I'll give you 10 Rupees...and if you hit me all 10 times, I'll give you 200 Rupees! What? You worried about little old me, fry? Hah! Don't be! I'm a man-fish! I've spent my life being toughened up by seas rougher than any you've ever seen! Those arrows of yours ain't got nothing on me!" — Fishman, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "...I see. So...the Forsaken Fortress has already..." — King of Red Lions, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Ahh, like a molting snake that casts off its dead skin! That place is so empty and quiet... one can almost hear the echo of dead leaves falling to the cold, cracked ground!" — Fishman, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Why? What ails you? What? Lose the long face! The monsters are gone from the world! Doesn't that make you a little happy?" — Fishman, The Wind Waker.