Death Mountain Trail Gatekeeper
The Death Mountain Trail Gatekeeper is the guard at the gate to the Death Mountain Trail in Ocarina of Time. He is one of three Hyrulean Soldiers assigned to guard Kakariko Village when Link is a child. He will not allow anyone to go to Death Mountain unless they are given permission from the Royal Family of Hyrule.
Once Link reaches Kakariko Village after meeting Zelda, the Death Mountain Trail Gatekeeper teases Link about how he cannot pass through the gate unless given permission by the Royal Family. Once Link gives Zelda's Letter to the Death Mountain Trail Gatekeeper, he will allow Link to go through the gate. After this, the Death Mountain Trail Gatekeeper will become more friendly towards Link, leading him to worry about Link's safety on Death Mountain. He will even give Link a discount on a Hylian Shield at the Bazaar in Hyrule Castle Town, making the shield 50 Rupees instead of 80.
After giving all of his advice to Link, the Death Mountain Trail Gatekeeper will ask Link to do him a favor. His son wants the Keaton Mask that the Happy Mask Shop is selling. However, he has no time to leave his post and go to the Happy Mask Shop. He then asks Link to retrieve the mask for him. Once Link returns with the Keaton Mask, the guard will pay 15 Rupees for it. However, if Link refuses to sell the mask to him, the guard will be angered and will close the gate until Link sells it to him, but once Link leaves Kakariko Village or enters and exits a building, the gate will be opened. After buying the Keaton Mask, the guard will wear the mask even though it's ostensibly for his son.
After returning to Kakariko Village seven years later, the guard is nowhere to be found.
- ↑ "The road is closed beyond this point! Can't you read the sign over there? Eh? Oh, I see. You're just a kid, and you can't read yet. Ha ha hah!" — Death Mountain Trail Gatekeeper, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Oh, this is... This is surely Princess Zelda's handwriting! Well, let's see... Hmmm... OK... "This is Link... He is under my orders to save Hyrule." Wah ha ha ha hah! What kind of funny game has our Princess come up with now?! OK, OK, all right. You can go now... Just be careful, Mr. Hero!" — Death Mountain Trail Gatekeeper, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "By the way, Mr. Hero... If you're going to climb Death Mountain, you should equip a proper shield! It is an active volcano, after all! If you go back to Hyrule Castle Town Market, you should check out the Bazaar. They sell the shield you need there. Tell 'em I sent you and they should give you a special discount! If you think you're good to go already, don't worry about it. Now, I'd like to ask a favor of you. No, I don't expect you to do it just because of the great tip I just gave you! I'm just asking! Have you been to the Happy Mask Shop that just opened in the Hyrule Castle Town Market? Everyone is talking about it! My little boy pesters me for a popular mask, but I don't have time to go there... So, could you go and get the mask for me next time you are in the Market? If you don't feel like it, that's OK, but... Well, I have no choice, this is my job... ...sigh..." — Death Mountain Trail Gatekeeper, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Wha-ha-ha-hah! Do you think you're in disguise, Mr. Hero? Oh? Is that a "Kee...something..." character mask? I heard he's very popular recently? He's my boy's favorite. That "Kee...something..." mask... If you don't mind... Will you sell it to me?" — Death Mountain Trail Gatekeeper, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "My boy will be very happy with this! You really are Mr. Hero! Wha ha ha hah!" — Death Mountain Trail Gatekeeper, Ocarina of Time.