Death Mountain Foothills
Death Mountain Foothills is first stage of Death Mountain. It is a grassy area containing many steep climbs. It also contains multitudes of enemies that must be destroyed with medallions.
Along the way the Links encounter a man who has built his house to be movable. It is completely fireproof and can be easily moved when the Links push it. Unfortunately, he cannot put furniture inside as it would then be too heavy. The Links can push the house to destroy the Deadrocks in the area and obtain the Magic Hammer. The man is jealous after the Links push it around, since he realizes he cannot push it on his own.
- Main article: Hebra's Hill
One of the most notable features is Hebra's Hill, which can be found shortly before The Mountain Path. According to an old man found among the foothills, people who enter the region become eternally lost. The only way to avoid this is to remain focused on the goal and continue forward. As a result, the Links must climb upward five times in order to progress.
The foothills are populated by a few large groups of enemies. There are hordes of Buzz Blobs, Hinoxes, Soldiers, and Deadrocks that must be destroyed. Only a single Force Gem Knight can be found, and Keese are only located in caves. A few Shadow Links appear, two with Fire Rods and another with just their sword. Zols only appear when the Links destroy a group of Hinoxes with the Quake Medallion.
The main inventory items are the Bow, Boomerang, and Magic Hammer. The Bow is used primarily to create a path to proceed onward by hitting a switch. It also reveals the path to a Heart Container. The Boomerang is used to hit switches and can help stun Buzz Blobs. The Magic Hammer destroys Deadrocks and Moles. There is one Bombos Medallion which is used to destroy a horde of Buzz Blobs. The Quake Medallion is found later and offered to the Links by a mage in order to turn Hinoxes into Zols.
There are two Heart Containers in the foothills. The first is obtained by having one Link push down a switch and another shoot switches with arrows to make a pathway to the Heart Container's treasure chest. The other is closer to the exit hidden in a pit under a bush. The Links must hit a switch within with the Boomerang to activate a pathway to the Heart Container chest.
An extra Force Fairy can be obtained within a cave in an area surrounded by Deadrocks. The Links must destroy the Moles using the Magic Hammer and then break the pot to reveal the fairy.
A Chief Soldier surrounded by a little over a dozen Soldiers serves as the boss of Death Mountain Foothills. At first, the Chief Soldier is accompanied only by three green guards, but several blue Soldiers appear shortly after. Once they are defeated, the Links receive many Force Gems.
- ↑ "Oh ho ho ho! At last, at last! I've done it! My lifelong dream... A moving house!!! It's made of a special light, yet sturdy, wood! And fire poses no threat at all! It's absolutely, completely fireproof! Go on and try it! The four of you, step outside and push the house. It'll move! There's one problem, though. Fill the house with furniture and it becomes too heavy to budge. That's why I've had to leave it entirely empty. It's a bit stark, but I like it!" — Old Man, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "Well now, I see you've pushed it about a bit. I'm quite jealous! But why didn't I build it so one person could move it? What terrible planning..." — Old Man, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "There's an area near the one-eyed giants called Hebra's Hill. People say that those who enter that region wander lost for all eternity. If you simply meander about with no goal in mind, you'll never reach the summit. You must press on, always focused on your sole intent: to reach the peak!" — Old Man, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "Oh ho ho ho... Such youth... Troubled by the giants, are you? We magic users have enchanted two types of medallion. These medallions instantly alter the shape of an evil presence or make it vanish. One of these medallions is in that treasure chest there. It's one that I enchanted myself. You may use it if you like." — Mage, Four Swords Adventures.