Access to the Palace of Winds
The Dark Mirror appears in Four Swords Adventures. It is an evil object that reflects the evil in the heart of a person and brings it to life. Long ago, the mirror was used to seal away a Dark Tribe. As a result, it was hidden away in the Temple of Darkness within the Forest of Light, where the White Maiden protected it as a part of her domain.
Link, split by the Four Sword into four, first hears about the mirror from Dampé in The Swamp. He believes that the mirror is the reason that the spirits in the graveyard are active. Later, when the Links rescue the White Maiden, she further explains the Dark Mirror's capabilities, telling them about how it was hidden in her forest to keep it away from the hands of evil at all costs. She suggests that they locate the mirror to keep is safe.
However, once they fight their way through the Temple of Darkness, they are shocked to find that the mirror has already been stolen. The Red Maiden expresses her concern as well. Then the White Maiden mentions how she heard Deku Scrubs in the forest worshipping the name Ganon. In truth, Ganon, formerly known as a thief named Ganondorf, had stolen the Dark Mirror from the temple. He then used it to create Shadow Links, dark alter egos of Link.
Soon, the Links make their way up to the Realm of the Heavens to face Vaati and Ganon. In The Dark Cloud, they find the Dark Mirror within a strange eye-like barrier, incessantly spewing out Shadow Links. Even as they defeat Shadow Links, more of them continue appearing. Finally, Zelda appears and prevents the mirror from spawning more Shadow Links by closing the barrier's eye. After defeating all of the remaining Shadow Links, Zelda removes the mirror and destroys the barrier, and the Dark Mirror is safe at last.
- There are similarities between the Dark Mirror and the Mirror of Twilight, such as both being used to seal away a dark tribe. However, it is unknown if there is any connection.
- ↑ "A mirror that reflects the evil heart of its bearer, spawning demons." — The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia, pg. 119
- ↑ 2.1 2.2 "[sfx]Ah! The Dark Mirror... Someone's stolen the Dark Mirror! That mirror reveals the wickedness within a person and brings it to life. It's an item of terrible, dark power. No good can come from this. Shadow Link!! Could he be your evil reflection, cast by the Dark Mirror? If that were the motive of the mirror's thief... This is disastrous! If we don't get the mirror back, Hyrule will be overrun with evil Shadow Links. The mirror... Who took it? And where?" — White Maiden, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "It was once used to imprison the Dark Tribe, who attempted to invade Hyrule, and thus it was hidden inside a temple with no connection to the Dark World." — The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia, pg. 119
- ↑ 4.1 4.2 4.3 "It's dangerous out. You shouldn't be wandering around. This shadowy guy has been stirring up trouble lately. Actually, he looks like you! My name's Dampe. I'm supposed to be the caretaker at this here graveyard. Only I can't take care of a single thing right now. I'm helpless!!! These creatures, they are so pleased. They treat our world like their new home. Listen up, boys. Legends speak of a mirror in which a dark tribe was sealed away long ago. I understand it's supposed to be hidden now somewhere in the Forest of Light. The forest's been covered by pitch-black clouds recently. It's a Forest of Dark now. Yep, no mistake about it... Something bad's a-brewin' there." — Dampé, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ 5.1 5.2 "[sfx]Link... Thank you. You carry my hopes with you...as well as all of Hyrule's. Wait... Is that the blue royal jewel you carry? How did you come by it? Is that so? The Knights of Hyrule... So even the jewels are now... Link, all we can do is put our faith in the light and press on, overcoming each obstacle that confronts us. My forest has lost its light. Darkness covers it like a shroud. Link, will you go to the forest? Perhaps you will find some clues there. In the heart of the forest is a temple. The Dark Mirror can be found there. Long ago, a dark tribe invaded Hyrule. They were defeated and imprisoned within the mirror. The tribe's mirror prison was then secreted away and hidden in the forest temple to sever its connection to this world. That Dark Mirror must never fall into the hands of those with evil hearts." — White Maiden, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "[sfx]Link! The mirror is a danger in anyone's hands but yours. No one else can be trusted. Retrieve the Dark Mirror from the palace, and keep it until Princess Zelda is safe. Please. You are the only one we can depend on... First, let us proceed to the forest. :" — White Maiden, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "[sfx]The white maiden? I'm worried about the mirror, too. Who could've stolen it? And what of the other shrine maidens? Has Princess Zelda been rescued?" — Red Maiden, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "[sfx]However, there is something that disturbs me. When those...things...first entered my woods, they spoke of their dark lord. "Ganon, Ganon," they chanted. It was as though they were...worshipping." — White Maiden, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "[Ganondorf] also stole the Dark Mirror from the Temple of Darkness in the forest in order to turn Hyrule into a place of darkness." — The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia, pg. 119
- ↑ "Shadow Link. Demons identical to Link that are born of the Dark Mirror and possess the power of darkness." — The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia, pg. 119
- ↑ "Ganondorf used the power of the Dark Mirror to bring Shadow Link into the world, throwing Hyrule into chaos." — The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia, pg. 119
- ↑ "The Heroes saved Princess Zelda from the top of the tower and continued on to the Realm of the Heavens, where the Dark Mirror that had been incessantly spawning Shadow Links lay." — The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia, pg. 121
- ↑ "[sfx]Link! The Shadow Links will regenerate if left alone! I must act... [sfx]Link! Now! Defeat Shadow Link!" — Zelda (Four Swords Adventures), Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "[sfx]At last, the Dark Mirror has been retrieved..." — Zelda (Four Swords Adventures), Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "The four Links then recovered the mirror and defeated Vaati in the Palace of Winds." — The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia, pg. 121
- ↑ "[The Dark Mirror's] relation to the Mirror of Twilight that serves as a path to the Twilight Realm, as well as the magic mirrors that exist in other timelines, is unknown." — The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia, pg. 119