Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, Dampé is the gravekeeper of the Kakariko Village Graveyard. During Link's childhood, Dampé can be found patrolling the graveyard at night and starts his own Gravedigging Tour, upon request for 10 Rupees, digging up anything from Rupees to a Heart Piece that Link can pick up. The items that he digs up appear randomly. During the day, he is at his shack sleeping, and if Link tries to interact with him, he tells the young hero to go away.
If Link enters Dampé's house at night while he is gravedigging, Link can read Dampé's diary, where he writes that he found a treasure that "stretches and goes 'boing'". The diary can also be found when Link is an adult, but what's written in it will differ, telling Link to enter Dampé's grave and that he will let Link have his treasure.
Sometime during Link's seven year slumber, Dampé dies and becomes a ghost. When Link digs up his grave, he can find Dampé's ghost in a maze beneath the grave. Dampé challenges Link to a race, and if Link wins, Dampé allows him to take his treasure, the Hookshot. Playing again and winning in under a minute earns Link a Piece of Heart.
In Majora's Mask, Dampé is the gravekeeper of the Ikana Graveyard, which is a haunted graveyard, yet he is afraid of ghosts. On the Final Day, Link can find Dampé Beneath the Graveyard, where he admits to be searching for the Ikana Royal Family's treasure. However, he lost his lantern and cannot see. He, in turn, asks Link to guide him using the light of his fairy, Tatl. Leading him to the Soft Soil spots causes him to dig there. After he has dug up three Blue Flames, a Big Poe appears. Since Dampé is afraid of ghosts, he runs away to his house, and if Link defeats the Poe, he is rewarded with a chest that contains an Empty Bottle.
Four Swords Adventures
Dampé lives in a home alone in The Swamp, the second stage of Near the Fields in Four Swords Adventures. Interestingly, his name is not spelled with an accent when he introduces himself. His house is found in the northwest of the graveyard, near a Moon Gate, and it is surrounded by many Giant Ghini. In order to enter it, the Links must stand on four different switches to light up the area and drive the ghosts away. When they enter, Dampé warns them about the dangers of being outside, and then he tells them a story about the Dark Mirror. He is the only living person in the stage.
The Minish Cap
Dampé is also featured in The Minish Cap. He lives in a house in the Royal Valley and tends to the graveyard. He gives Link the key to the graveyard, opening the way to the Royal Crypt. When spoken to after completing the mini-dungeon, he will state a secret path in the Lost Woods that leads to fifty Rupees.
A Link Between Worlds
Dampe from A Link Between Worlds
Dampe's Ghost from Ocarina of Time
Dampe in The Minish Cap
Dampe in Four Swords Adventures
- ↑ "Hey kid! Don't mess around with the graves! I'm Dampé the Gravekeeper! My face may be scary, but I'm not a bad guy... Let me give you an advertisement for my side business... Dampé the Gravekeeper's Heart-Pounding Gravedigging Tour! What's gonna come out?! What's gonna come out?! When I start digging, we'll find out!" — Dampé, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "The crest of the Royal Family of Hyrule is inscribed here." — Dampé, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Heh heh heh, young man! Are you fast on your feet? I may not look like it, but I'm confident in my speed! Let's have a race! Follow me if you dare!" — Dampé's Ghost, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Hehehe, young man... You were very quick to be able to keep up with me! Hehehe! As a reward, I'm going to give you my treasure. It's called the Hookshot! Its spring-loaded chain will pull you to any spot where its hook sticks. Doesn't that sound cool? I'm sure it will help you! I live here now, so come back again sometime. I'll give you something cool! One more thing! Be careful on your way back! Heheheh...." — Dampé's Ghost, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "You? Wh-who are you? I can't see 'cause it's too bright...You're not a ghost...are you? ...A fairy? Oh, it was the fairy's light. In that case, it's just perfect. I came looking for the Royal Family's legendary treasure, but my torch has gone out. I'm sorry, but could you walk in front of me and light the way? Please? Yes No" — Dampé, Majora's Mask.
- ↑ "Oh! There's something strange about this spot. You want me to dig here? Yes No" — Dampé, Majora's Mask.
- ↑ "Waah!!! It's the leader of the ghosts!" — Dampé, Majora's Mask.
- ↑ "It's dangerous out. You shouldn't be wandering around. This shadowy guy has been stirring up trouble lately. Actually, he looks like you! My name's Dampe. I'm supposed to be the caretaker at this here graveyard. Only I can't take care of a single thing right now. I'm helpless!!! These creatures, they are so pleased. They treat our world like their new home. Listen up, boys. Legends speak of a mirror in which a dark tribe was sealed away long ago. I understand it's supposed to be hidden now somewhere in the Forest of Light. The forest's been covered by pitch-black clouds recently. It's a Forest of Dark now. Yep, no mistake about it... Something bad's a-brewin' there." — Dampé, Four Swords Adventures.