This system allows Link to take items that he already has and enhance them using the Treasures found on the Collection screen. For example, if Link has acquired all of the necessary materials, Link's old Wooden Shield is turned into a stronger, more durable Banded Shield at the Scrap Shop. Not only can Link upgrade his shields, but also his items. An example is Link turning his Slingshot into a Scattershot. This is a unique way of keeping items from becoming unused, and unloved, like they have once or twice in previous Zelda titles.
The lists below only show items which can be upgraded, and the upgraded item's new name. A comprehensive list of all items can be found here.
- Main article: Skyward Sword Upgrades
- Shield upgrades
- Wooden Shield → Banded Shield → Braced Shield
- Iron Shield → Reinforced Shield → Fortified Shield
- Sacred Shield → Divine Shield → Goddess Shield
- Ammunition capacity
- Small Seed Satchel → Medium Seed Satchel → Large Seed Satchel
- Small Quiver → Medium Quiver → Large Quiver
- Small Bomb Bag → Medium Bomb Bag → Large Bomb Bag
- Hook Beetle → Quick Beetle → Tough Beetle
- Wooden Bow → Iron Bow → Sacred Bow
- Slingshot → Scattershot
- Bug Net → Big Bug Net
- Main article: Luv and Bertie's Potion Shop
- Heart Potion → Heart Potion + → Heart Potion ++
- Revitalizing Potion → Revitalizing Potion + → Revitalizing Potion ++
- Guardian Potion → Guardian Potion +
- Air Potion → Air Potion +
- Stamina Potion → Stamina Potion +
- Main article: Skyward Sword Upgrades § Adventure Pouch Upgrades
The Adventure Pouch's storage capacity can be upgraded from the default four to eight with four individual slots that are either bought or found.
The other three can be bought from Beedle's Air Shop for 300, 500 and 1200 rupees respectively.
- Main article: Dowsing
After defeating Tentalus, Link's Dowsing ability improves to let him have up to seven Dowsing Targets. After getting the upgrade, Link can get the following targets:
- Goddess Cubes: walk up to a dormant Goddess Chest.
- Recovery Hearts: run low on hearts, then respond to Fi's alert.
- Treasure: talk to Gondo.
- Gratitude Crystals: talk to Batreaux.
- Rupees: talk to a shopkeeper.
Link will still encounter quest dowsing targets, making it still entirely possible to run out of targets.
A Link Between Worlds
- Main article: Mother Maiamai
In A Link Between Worlds, upgrades are done by visiting Mother Maiamai and rescuing her missing children by groups of ten. Whenever Link finds a group of ten Maiamai, he is prompted with the option of upgrading an item he purchased, not rented, through Ravio's Shop. Each item purchased from Ravio can be upgraded only once, and when all nine items have been enhanced, Link's Spin Attack can be upgraded to the Great Spin Attack. A list of all Maiamai locations can be found here.
- Main article: A Link Between Worlds Item Upgrades
Each item listed below requires ten missing Maiamais to be found before any upgrades can be performed.
|Purchased Item||Upgraded To|
|Fire Rod||Nice Fire Rod|
|Ice Rod||Nice Ice Rod|
|Sand Rod||Nice Sand Rod|
|Tornado Rod||Nice Tornado Rod|
|Skill||Skill Upgrade||Maiamai Needed|
|Spin Attack||Great Spin Attack||Find 100 missing children|