Allows the ship to go faster and move in any direction without the wind
The Swift Sail is an item that appears in the HD remake of The Wind Waker.
The Swift Saile is an upgrade to the original Sail that is available later in the game. Just like the normal sail, it allows Link to travel across the Great Sea on the King of Red Lions. However, the Swift Sail moves the boat a lot faster and is always filled with wind, so Link does not have to play the Wind's Requiem to make the wind face where he is going. However, he cannot use it during the Boating Course game. Although it is similar in appearance to the original sail, the design on it is red instead of blue.
Link can hear about the Swift Sail from the Fishman at Eastern Fairy Island, who tells him it is one of the prizes available at the auction held in the Auction House on Windfall Island. Link can also learn about the Swift Sail as a rumoe from Joanna and Potova on Windfall Island.
It can be selected for the night's auction by Zunari after Link completes Dragon Roost Cavern. The bid starts at 100 Rupees and increases as more people bid.
According to Eiji Aonuma, the boat could not go any faster in the original Nintendo GameCube version due to the fact that the world could not load quickly enough to keep up with it, but the Wii U's advanced power makes it possible.
- ↑ 1.1 1.2 "Let the auction begin! Let's open the bidding at 100 Rupees!" — Zunari, The Wind Waker HD
- ↑ 2.1 2.2 "The Nintendo Direct video showed a glimpse of the Swift Sail (red sail) that allows the ship to go faster. Those of you who played the original may have noticed, but not only will this sail make the ship go faster, but it will always be full of wind, meaning you're now able to control the ship to any direction you want, without having to use the Wind Waker to change direction of the wind." — Eiji Aonuma, Miiverse
- ↑ "During the game, you can acquire the ability to speed up the ship." — Eiji Aonuma, Wii U Developer Direct - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD @E3 2013
- ↑ "But if the ship was that fast from the beginning, he wouldn't appreciate it. Once you reach a certain point in the game, you'll become able to go this fast and experience how great it feels." — Eiji Aonuma, Wii U Developer Direct - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD @E3 2013
- ↑ "You got the Swift Sail! Thanks to expert sail-making craftsmanship, your ship can now travel faster than ever! And what's better, whenever you use it, a favorable wind will be at your back. No need to manually change wind direction! Voyaging has never been more efficient!" — In-Game Description, The Wind Waker HD.
- ↑ "Thanks to superior craftsmanship, this sail has amazing wind-catching capabilities. It also ensures that the wind is always at your back. Press [A] to hoist and [A] again for more speed!" — Item Screen Description, The Wind Waker HD.
- ↑ "You can only use your regular sail in the race. None a'them fancy speedy sails, ya hear?" — Loot, The Wind Waker HD
- ↑ "Word is, they hold an auction every night over there on Windfall Island. Every night the people gather in the Auction House to amuse themselves by spending a little money. Ah, the rich! Auctions may be a race to see who can bid the highest, but I'll let you in on a little secret: the key to winning an auction is to be both patient and bold. I'm serious, fry! From what I hear, they get some great things up on that auction block, too. ...Like an extra-fast sail, among other things. Maybe that's just a rumor." — Fishman, The Wind Waker HD
- ↑ "Yeah! We would NEVER tell you about how every night all the grown-ups meet up in that one house and shout 'BID! BID! BID!' till they're hoarse! They say it's an auction, or something... They must really want Pease of Art or the, watchamacallit, useful sail..." - Joanna and Potova, The Wind Waker HD
- ↑ "Let's get to it! This evening, our glorious auction item is... This! A fabulous Swift Sail!" — Zunari, The Wind Waker HD
- ↑ "On the GameCube, in the previous version, it took some time to load the ocean data, because it was so vast. So, if the ship had gone too fast, it would have sailed to the edge of the ocean and fallen off. Now that it's on Wii U, the capabilities have been enhanced greatly, and we're now able to load the entire ocean at once. Now that we're able to do that, we could speed up the ship." — Eiji Aonuma, Wii U Developer Direct - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD @E3 2013