- This article is about the group from A Link Between Worlds. For individual characters of the same name, see Masked Follower (Male) and Masked Follower (Female).
The Masked Followers is a group that appears in A Link Between Worlds. Their members can be found all over Lorule, though their origins appear to be in Thieves' Town. The Masked Elder is their apparent leader, and he can be found on a large platform in the west of the town, preaching their ideals. The Masked Followers can be easily recognized by the masks they wear that resemble monsters. They appear to have several members, as almost everyone in the town can be found wearing one.
The group seems to be a response to the destruction of Lorule and an alternative to becoming a thief, as many others have. According to the Masked Elder, they believe that they can be saved from "corruption" by becoming monsters and wearing the masks. Their signature phrase is "Mumbo jumbo, mumbo jumbo."
Many Loruleans joined the Masked Followers to escape problems they have had in their lives. For example, the female Masked Follower says that being a monster is very calming. The Bird-Masked Man, on the other hand, put on a mask because his bird friends turned into monsters and he wanted to join them. The Thief Girl also steals a mask from what she claims was an abandoned house, but she simply wants to hide her identity.
- Many of the Masked Followers' masks reference characters from the Dark World of A Link to the Past. For example, the Masked Granny looks like the Digging Game Operator, and the Derby Girl resembles the Bully.
- ↑ "What do you think about this mask? Kind of creepy, isn't it? Everyone in town is wearing one of these." — Thief Girl, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "Though we have seen the world crumble before us, we must not give in to the corruption of thievery!" — Masked Elder, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "Monsters can keep you strong! They are your only salvation, my son! You must don the mask! Don the mask! We are corrupt. CORRUPT! Do not be deceived. Only monsters will save us now! Mumbo jumbo, mumbo jumbo..." — Masked Elder, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "What a mask you got there! Being a monster is so calming, ya know?! Don'tcha think? Well, don'tcha?! EH?! The only way to get saved is to become a monster! C'mon! Get saved! Mumbo jumbo, mumbo jumbo..." — Masked Follower, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "I'm happy as long as my feathered friends are with me... Well, that is before they got turned into monsters. In which case, I should have been changed along with them...I thought, so I put on a mask and chanted. A lot." — Bird-Masked Man, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "What do you think about this mask? Kind of creepy, isn't it? Everyone in town is wearing one of these. I swiped mine from an abandoned house. Well, it was probably abandoned. No one was there, OK? I don't really know what this mask is supposed to be... The important thing is that it conceals my identity." — Thief Girl, A Link Between Worlds