The Huricane Spin is a sword based skill that is taught to Link on Outset Island, under the direction of Orca, in The Wind Waker. This skill is noted for its ability to strike multiple times in a circular motion and is iconic for its charge up, the long spin, and making Link briefly dizzy upon completion. It also costs Magic Power.
Orca is a sword master who resides on Outset Island. He is the person who initially gives Link the Hero's Sword before Link departs with Tetra's Pirates to the Forsaken Fortress. Orca later sends Link a Letter saying that if Link wants to be a true swordsman, then he needs to return with ten Knight's Crests. When Link returns with the ten required Knight's Crests, Orca explains that he and his brother had always dreamed of learning such a technique, which can only be learned by those able to gather ten of the crests. He then teaches Link the Hurricane Spin.
Since the Hurricane Spin is a longer, more powerful Spin Attack, it is most useful on multiple enemies and makes defeating them easier, at times, rather than combating each enemy one at a time. Places where this is useful include: The Savage Labyrinth, the Jalhalla boss fight when Jalhalla splits into multiple Poes, and cutting grass. This skill is also useful for combat with Phantom Ganon, as it reflects the energy used in the Dead Man's Volley attacks. However, Link must time their attack carefully in order to miss being hit and or missing the opportunity to strike him with the Sword. While this skill is quite useful in many places, it is not useful for Orca's mini-game, in which Link is told to strike Orca as many times as possible, since the Hurricane Spin here will leave Link vulnerable to Orca and only counts as one hit.
- ↑ "You learned the Hurricane Spin! Hold [B] to build up your power, then release it to perform a whirling attack with your blade. Remember, it consumes magic power." — In-Game Description, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "You accepted the Hero's Sword! Wield it with [B]. Use it wisely and carefully... You don't want to let down the kind old man who has entrusted it to you!" — In-Game Description, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "And yet...I sense a certain anxiousness in the sword you hold...an eagerness that goes far beyond the mere desire to be wielded on the fields of battle... I do not know what has happened... But I have faith in you. Somehow, I doubt you will misuse that sword... You may have it, [Link]. I give it freely. Take the blade with you... Since the olden days, this sword has been used to fend off evil... Its blade is infused with the desire to become strong and righteous." — Orca, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "If you wish to be a true swordsman... find some Knight's Crests! And return to me! Orca" — Orca (Letter), The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "The Knight's Crest... It is the symbol of a courageous knight... But not just anyone can gather them... No! It takes a soul who possesses not only power, but wisdom and courage as well! Any courageous soul who gathers ten of these crests can learn a powerful new sword technique! Both my brother and I dreamt of learning this technique in our youth. We worked so hard to collect the crests... But it took many long years and adventures beyond count before we even approached finding ten of them, and we both grew old..." — Orca, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "It appears you have enough might to learn that technique now. Perhaps, just perhaps, you can master it! Very good, [Link]! Heed my words! Hold [B] to build up power, then release it! Come at me, now! Do it!" — Orca, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Amazing, [Link]! You did it! You have mastered the Hurricane Spin! At last, you have made our long-held dream come true!" — Orca, The Wind Waker.