Ganondorf's Execution takes place many years following the Link's return to the past at the end of Ocarina of Time. The following events are explained to Link by the Sages in Twilight Princess once Link has completed the Arbiter's Grounds. The Demon Thief, Ganondorf, was sent to the Arbiter's Grounds to be executed by the Sages. However, by what one of the Sages calls a "divine prank", Ganondorf survived because he had been chosen by the gods to wield the Triforce of Power.
The Hero of Time's Return
After the events of Ocarina of Time, Link was sent back into the past to relive his childhood by Princess Zelda. With the knowledge of future events and the proof of the Triforce of Courage, Link told the young Princess Zelda of what would happen in the future. The Princess then passed the information onto the Royal Family and Ganondorf was captured and sent to be executed.
Several years after he had been caught, the time for the execution of the Demon Thief dawns. Ganondorf is chained to a giant stone slap atop the Arbiter's Grounds, within the Mirror Chamber. One of the Sages then draws a powerful blade and thrusts it into the abdomen of Ganondorf. However, by a "divine prank", the Triforce of Power shines bright on the hand of Ganondorf and he avoids death, killing one of the Sages as he breaks free of his shackles. In a rush of panic, the remaining Sages seal him within the Twilight Realm via the Mirror of Twilight.
- ↑ "Many years later, Ganondorf, the infamous demon thief who wielded the power of magic, was finally to be executed." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 113
- ↑ "The Ancient Sages performed the execution of Ganondorf in the Arbiter's Grounds." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 113
- ↑ 3.1 3.2 "By some divine prank, he, too, had been blessed with the chosen power of the gods." — Ancient Sages, Twilight Princess.
- ↑ 4.1 4.2 "However, Ganondorf, who had been chosen by the Triforce of Power, did not perish, and managed to kill one of the sages." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 113
- ↑ "Link, give the Ocarina to me... As a Sage, I can return you to your original time with it. Now, go home, Link. Regain your lost time! Home... where you are supposed to be... the way you are supposed to be..." — Princess Zelda, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "In order to right her wrongs, she played the ocarina, returning Link to his original era and allowing him to regain the seven years that had passed while he remained sealed." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 91
- ↑ "In Hyrule, Princess Zelda was informed of what would happen in the future by Link, the Hero of Time." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 113
- ↑ "Thrown into a panic, the remainder of the sages used the Mirror of Twilight to banish Ganondorf to the Twilight Realm." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 113