Cawlin's Love Letter
Defeating The Imprisoned for the first time
Delivering Cawlin's Letter
Cawlin's Love Letter is a side-quest in Skyward Sword.
Dovos's Rumor (Optional)
After defeating The Imprisoned in the Sealed Grounds for the first time; Dovos, a man in the Bazaar, mentions weird things to Link that people have been hearing a woman crying at night in the Knight Academy when spoken to.
Henya's Complaint (Optional)
Henya, the Knight Academy cook, is upset that someone is making noise in the restroom late at night. Makes it hard to get any sleep!
Voice From The Restroom?
Sleep in any bed until night, then head to the restroom at the end of the hall on the lower level. As Link approaches, you'll hear moaning. Get closer and a ghostly voice will beg for paper.
A Very Important Letter
The next morning, Cawlin appears near the restroom holding his letter, mumbling to himself. If Link talks to him, he demands that Link takes his love note to a girl he likes named Karane. He warns Link not to give his letter to "that weirdo in the restroom".
- Note: You can only choose one of the options below. It is not possible to complete both.
Option A: Ghost in the Restroom
Link can choose to ignore Cawlin and give the letter to the voice at nighttime. When the voice hears that he has paper, it gladly lets him inside of the restroom. Opening the door reveals that the voice is coming from a ghostly apparition of a pale, floating hand in the toilet. He can then offer the paper to the ghost. Initially, she is reluctant to take it because she notices that it is a letter, but she finally accepts and thanks Link.
Sleep in a bed until day, then go find Cawlin. Let him know of Link's decision and he'll be very upset. He storms off crying  and hides in Groose's room. From now on, whenever Link speaks with him, he'll be very angry with him.
Sleep in any of the other beds in the Academy, then go to Groose's room. Cawlin is sleeping in Groose's bed and the hand is caressing him lovingly. Speak with the hand and it'll explain how happy it is to have found someone with such tender, heartfelt feelings and will never leave Cawlin's side! Link will then receive five Gratitude Crystals from her.
Cawlin, meanwhile, will never sleep happily again.
Option B: Deliver The Letter To Karane
Link can instead heed Cawlin and give the letter to Karane like he was asked to. She is at first excited, believing it is from Pipit, whose attentions she really wanted, but then she discovers that it's actually from Cawlin and is less thrilled. She feels bad, but not bad enough to actually date Cawlin. "Sigh... I wonder what Pipit would think if he knew about this..."
Pipit can be found upstairs patrolling the halls. Speak with him to inform him of the letter and he'll get very flustered, trying to rationalize his reaction.
Link can report back to Cawlin and tell him that he gave it to Karane, and Cawlin will hurry over to ask her what she thought of it.
With all the pieces in place, Link can then return to the classroom to see Cawlin asking Karane, but Pipit will arrive, declaring his own desire to go out with Karane. Karane will eagerly say yes, and Cawlin will run off crying.
The couple will express their thankfulness to Link and he'll receive five Gratitude Crystals from Pipit. From now on, they'll both thank him for getting them together; while Cawlin hides in Groose's room and cries himself to sleep.
- ↑ "I've been hearing a weird rumor. Apparently, after nightfall, people have been hearing a woman sobbing in the dormitory. I tell you, it gives even a big guy like me the creeps." — Dovos, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "These past few days, I swear I hear a voice every time I walk past the restroom at night. Who in the world is in there? I just wish they'd pipe down!" — Henya, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "Oooh... Paper... Please... Somebody bring me paper... Bring me some paper... Any kind of paper at all... Ooooh..." — Phoeni, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "Hmm... Should I give it to her...? Should I not give it to her...?" — Cawlin, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "So listen up... Your mission is to take this piece of paper to a certain person! It's a very important piece of paper! Make SURE you deliver it." — Cawlin, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "So listen up! The person you must give it to is a girl... An upperclassman... Her name is Karane. You know who I mean, right? She's the one with the round hat. She's really cute. You know the one. And don't you dare...not even by mistake...even think of giving it to that weirdo in the restroom! Swear it!" — Cawlin, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "You fool! How dare you! This is no ordinary piece of paper! It's a letter! A very special one at that! I put my heart into every word... I guess you could say it's sort of like a... All right, fine! It's a love letter! And that is why you will not, under any circumstances, EVER allow it to be used as toilet paper! Do you hear me?!" — Cawlin, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "Ahhh... Paper! You brought me some paper! I'll open the door... Please come in..." — Phoeni, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "But...this looks like someone's letter... Are you sure I can have this?
- Yes. :No. Thank you... I will use it with care...
- ↑ "Y... You... Are you out of your mind?! Seriously?! You gave it to that creep in the restroom? Really?! You gave it to that restroom weirdo?! Didn't I specifically tell you NOT to give it to the weirdo in the restroom?! Seriously! I said it like five times! I know I did! You fool! How could you?! Anyone who blocks the path of true love deserves to be kicked by a bird! I hate you, [Link]!" — Cawlin, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "Uwahhhhh!!!" — Cawlin, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "It's good to see you again... Actually, thanks to you, I met my true love... Yes, him... It all started with that letter that you gave me... Those beautiful words of affection caused me to fall hopelessly in love..." — Phoeni, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "What do you want, [Link]?! I won't forget what you've done to me! And ever since you botched that thing with the letter, I've been having nightmares and can't get any sleep! It's just one thing after another! What is going on?! I wonder if that bed is cursed? Maybe it's Groose's revenge! You gotta help me, [Link]!" — Cawlin, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "Huh? A letter? For me...? Could it be from Pipit?!
- Here you go! :Never mind." — Karane, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "..."Greetings. My love for you is wider than the horizon and deeper than the clouds." "I would very much like it if you would go out with me. Your brave knight, Cawlin" ......... Wow... This Cawlin guy... Isn't he one of Groose's flunkies? And...this... This is a love letter from that Cawlin kid...right? Hoo boy..." — Karane, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "So, yeah... I have to say, he really put his heart into it and everything... I don't know... Maybe I should consider going out with Cawlin. ...Hah! As if! Sigh... I wonder what Pipit would think if he knew about this..." — Karane, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "...Huh? Karane got a love letter?
I-I see... That's interesting... Wow...
Erm... Wh-what do you think she intends to do...?
- Date him. :Beats me." — Pipit, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "...Oh! I mean, uhh... It's not like there's anything going on between me and Karane, you know? We're just friends... So it's not my business who she goes out with. I don't have much to say about it.
But you know...I do have a duty to make sure that everyone is living up to the high ideals of our knight school, right? I mean, ideal love is unfettered and passionate. Anything less than that can't really be called love at all, you know what I mean? So I should just step in and make sure that she's found a true love that aspires to the highest ideals of our fine educational institution, right? And what about me? I have the right to experience an unfettered and passionate love too, don't I?
You understand, don't you, [Link]? I'm not wrong about this, am I?
- I don't know. :You like her?" — Pipit, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "What?! You actually did it?! You gave the letter to Karane...?! Oh no. OH NO. What now?! What do I do? Maybe I should go see what she thought of the letter... Ahh, but...this is so embarrassing..." — Cawlin, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "Oh, please! Please go out...with me!" — Cawlin, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "My answer? Ah...my answer..." — Karane, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "I think you should go out with me instead! I mean...er...I want to ask you out!" — Pipit, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "Errr... I want to go out with... Pipit..." — Karane, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "Aaaaaghhhh!!!" — Cawlin, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "When you told me about the letter, it was at that moment I finally realized. I realized that...I love her. I thought to myself, "I can't let anyone else take her from me!" If you hadn't told me, I might never have even noticed my own feelings for her. I'm so grateful. I don't know how I can ever thank you!" — Pipit, Skyward Sword.