A Link to the Past Locations
This is a list of locations found in A Link to the Past.
Light World Areas
- Main article: Link's House
Where it all begins. Just a single house where Link lives with his uncle, located South to Hyrule Castle. Inside the treasure chest you can find the Lamp. It is also one of the three locations available to start the game if the last save was in the Light World.
- Main article: Sanctuary (A Link to the Past)
Located by the slope of Death Mountain, Zelda is hidden here by the Loyal Sage of the Sanctuary here during the first half of the adventure. It also functions as a starting point if the last save was in the Light World.
Fortune Teller's Hut
- Main article: Fortune Teller's Hut
- Main article: Kakariko Village
The major (and only!) urban area in the game. Here Link can get several objects such as two Bottles, the Bug Catching Net various Pieces of Heart; as well as the Duck by playing the Flute in front of the Weathercock. His first visit here is in search of Sahasrahla.
- Main article: Swordsmiths' Shop
- Main article: Sahasrahla's Hideout
House of Books
- Main article: House of Books
Located South to Kakariko Village, here Link can get the Book of Mudora, which is used to translate Hylian to modern language and grant access to the Desert Palace as well as getting the Bombos and Ether medallions.
Desert of Mystery
- Main article: Desert of Mystery
- Main article: Mountain Cave
The Mountain Cave is on Death Mountain, and it is where the Lost Old Man resides after Link has rescued him from the caverns below. If spoken to, he will restore all of Link's hearts and magic. Subsequently, the Mountain Cave can be used as a starting point when loading a saved game, if the game was saved while Link was in the Light World.
- Main article: Death Mountain
A tall mountain looming over Hyrule found north of the castle. Falling boulders make the landscape treacherous and at the top of the mountain is the Tower of Hera in the Light World and Ganon's Tower in the Dark World.
- Main article: Spectacle Rock
- Main article: Lost Woods (A Link to the Past)
Great Swamp (Light World)
- Main article: Great Swamp
- Main article: Swamp Ruins
Ruins located in the southern area of the Great Swamp, which hide a lever which lowers the water level, granting Link access to a Piece of Heart.
- Main article: Haunted Grove
- Main article: Lake Hylia
Pond of Happiness
- Main article: Pond of Happiness
A small island in the center of Lake Hylia which hides a pond; in which lives Venus, the Queen of Faeries, who will give Link the ability to carry up to 70 arrows and 50 bombs as a reward for tossing Rupees into the pond.
- Main article: Magic Shop
Waterfall of Wishing
- Main article: Waterfall of Wishing
A secret cave masked by a waterfall, which hides one of the two Mysterious Ponds in the game.
- Main article: Zora's Waterfall
Dark World Areas
Pyramid of Power
- Main article: Pyramid of Power
This is the first place Link sets his feet after defeating Agahnim. It's a massive Pyramid; a reflection of Hyrule Castle in the Dark World, in which is located the second Mysterious Pond in the game. Inside is where Link can fight Ganon once he has defeated Agahnim In Ganon's Tower.
Great Swamp (Dark World)
- Main article: Great Swamp
- Main article: Skeleton Forest
Village of Outcasts
- Main article: Village of Outcasts
Lake of Ill Omen
- Main article: Lake of Ill Omen
A small lake located in the Northeast corner of the Dark World. Here Link can get the Quake Medallion by tossing an object into the circle of stones, making a catfish appear and giving him the Medallion.
- Main article: Ice Lake
Swamp of Evil
- Main article: Swamp of Evil
Light World Dungeons
- Main article: Hyrule Castle (A Link to the Past)
- Main article: Secret Passage
After rescuing Princess Zelda from her cell in the basement of Hyrule Castle, Link & Zelda must go to the throne room to find the entrance to the Secret Passage to the Sanctuary. There are many Keese, Rats and Ropes within the Secret Passage.
- Main article: Eastern Palace (A Link to the Past)
- Main article: Desert Palace (A Link to the Past)
The Desert Palace is the second dungeon in the Light World. Link must use the Book of Mudora to enter the dungeon. Inside, Link will find the Power Glove. Link must defeat the Lanmolas to win the Pendant of Power.
Tower of Hera
- Main article: Tower of Hera (A Link to the Past)
The Tower of Hera is the third dungeon in the Light World. Inside, Link will find the Moon Pearl, allowing him to travel through the Dark World without being transformed into a Bunny. Link must defeat Moldorm to win the Pendant of Wisdom.
Hyrule Castle Tower
- Main article: Hyrule Castle Tower
Dark World Dungeons
- Main article: Dark Palace (A Link to the Past)
- Main article: Swamp Palace (A Link to the Past)
- Main article: Skull Woods (A Link to the Past)
The Skull Woods is the third dungeon in the Dark World. Unlike the other dungeons, Link must travel between the inside of the dungeon and the overworld to reach the boss. Inside the dungeon, Link will find the Fire Rod. Link must defeat Mothula to rescue the third of the Seven Maidens.
- Main article: Gargoyle's Domain
The Gargoyle's Domain is the fourth dungeon in the Dark World, located in the center of the Village of Outcasts. Inside, Link will find the Titan's Mitt. Link must defeat Blind the Thief to rescue the fourth of the Seven Maidens.
- Main article: Ice Palace
- Main article: Misery Mire (A Link to the Past)
Misery Mire is the sixth dungeon in the Dark World. The Ether Medallion is required to enter the dungeon. Inside, Link will find the Cane of Somaria. Link must defeat Vitreous to rescue the Sixth of the Seven Maidens.
- Main article: Turtle Rock (A Link to the Past)
Turtle Rock is the seventh dungeon in the Dark World. The Quake Medallion is required to enter the dungeon. Inside, Link will find the Mirror Shield. Link must defeat Trinexx to rescue the seventh of the Seven Maidens, Princess Zelda.
- Main article: Ganon's Tower (A Link to the Past)
Ganon's Tower is the eighth and final dungeon in A Link to the Past. Link must rescue the Seven Maidens from the other dungeons to gain access to the Tower. Inside, Link will find the Red Mail. Link must also battle the bosses from the three Light World dungeons on his way to fight Agahnim for the second time.
Palace of the Four Sword
- Main article: Palace of the Four Sword
The Palace of the Four Sword is a bonus dungeon only available in the Game Boy Advance remake of A Link to the Past. The dungeon is located on the East side of the Pyramid of Power. To be able to go through the dungeon, you must first complete the Four Swords multiplayer game. The Palace of the Four Sword contains various puzzles and more difficult versions of A Link to the Past bosses.