Happy first of April, everyone. I don’t know about you, but I’ve been alarmed lately about how much Breath of the Wild has overshadowed what are undoubtedly the two best Zelda games of all time. Link: The Faces of Evil and Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon have been unjustly ignored by the Zelda community, and it is surely time for us all to come together and honor these flawless masterpieces for the all and eternity. We can start today with the weekly Photoshop Contest, and carry on the CD-i love for the rest of our lives. Sqadala! We are off!
Last Week’s Contest: Zelda – Power Rangers Crossover
We were hoping to see some cool crossovers between The Legend of Zelda and Power Rangers last week, but everyone was too busy alternatively playing Breath of the Wild and ignoring the majesty of the CD-i Zelda games. Sadly, we received no entries.
This Week’s Contest: A New Zelda CD-i Game
The week’s contest will hopefully put us on the true and righteous path. The Zelda games released for the Phillips CD-i were unrecognized gems, pushing the boundaries for the entire Zelda series and the video game medium as a whole. You may think that Breath of the Wild was the first in the series to feature voice acting and the eating of Octoroks, but the truth is that The Faces of Evil and The Wand of Gamelon were the true innovators all along. These games deserve to be recognized as a high point in Zelda history, and it’s about time we consider the release of more Zelda CD-i games in the very near future.
The contest this week is to pitch ideas for a new Zelda CD-i game. You can craft a screenshot from the new title, present a premise of the game’s story, or just put our poorly-animated hero somewhere ridiculous. There are some images in the gallery below to get you started, but feel free to anything you find online.
General Rules: Submit your entries in the comments section below.
- To save images from the gallery, right click the image in the gallery (without opening the image in lightbox) and select open image in new tab. Right click and save!
- Photoshop is not required to enter the contest. Any image manipulation software can be used to create your entry.
- Some hand-drawn fan art is okay, but your entry must include some image manipulation to be considered.
- If you use another fan’s original assets or likeness, please try to give them credit.
- Please refrain from using offensive material (racial, sexual, overuse of offensive language, etc.) We want to make the contest fun and accessible for fans of all ages.
- Everyone is entitled to their own opinion at Zelda Informer. In fact, we encourage discussion based on those opinions. However, please do not insult other fans’ work. What may be funny to one person may not hold true for another…and that’s OK.
- Have fun and be creative!
Deadline: Submit entries no later than Friday at midnight: 11:59 p.m. PST on April 7. Entries submitted after this Deadline will not be considered.
Don’t forget to check back throughout the week and upvote your favorites, and maybe you will be one of next week’s winners!
For those that who want to test their skills with something more challenging, we have a few Challenge Rules for you to follow:
1. Your entry must include a Korok.
2. Your entry must include a Tingle Tuner.
Rod Lloyd is the Editor-In-Chief at Zelda Dungeon, overseeing the news and feature content for the site. Rod is considered the veteran of the writing team, having started writing for Zelda Informer in 2014 as a Junior Editor. After ZD and ZI officially merged in 2017, he stepped into the Managing Editor role and has helped steer the ship ever since. He stepped up to lead the writing team as Editor-In-Chief in 2023.
You can reach Rod at: firstname.lastname@example.org