Recently Game Informer staged “The Great Zelda Debate”, a podcast feature that addressed the age-old question: which Zelda game is the best of the series? Now IGN’s getting in on the action with their Greatest Legend of Zelda Game Tournament – and this time you get to participate. Vote in a series of brackets to decide which games will move on to the next round.
I’ve already cast my votes, and personally I think it’s a little cheap that they gave Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past an unfair edge by pitting them against two of the CD-i games, but that’s just me. Which games will you vote for? And more importantly, with all the attention given to this topic lately, one has to wonder: will Zelda Informer do something similar? You’ll just have to wait and see. For now, though, you can check out the Round 1 brackets:
- Ocarina of Time vs. Zelda’s Adventure
- A Link to the Past vs. Wand of Gamelon
- Phantom Hourglass vs. Spirit Tracks
- Majora’s Mask vs. Four Swords Adventures
- Oracle of Seasons vs. Oracle of Ages
- Link’s Awakening vs. The Minish Cap
- The Legend of Zelda vs. The Wind Waker
- Twilight Princess vs. The Adventure of Link
Personally, I get the feeling that the whole thing is set up to be staged: A Link to the Past is clearly meant to inevitably face off against Twilight Princess, while on the flip side Ocarina of Time has essentially no likely contenders (except maybe The Wind Waker). There’d be more balance I think if they pitted all the 2D games against each other, and then all the 3D and DS games against each other on the other side.