• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda's Parents

Something that always bothered me about Spirit Tracks is the fact that the reigning Zelda is a descendant of Tetra, and yet Niko is still alive. Hyrule Historia tells us that this Zelda is the great-great-granddaughter of Tetra, and Aonuma apparently mentioned in an interview that the game takes place about a century after WW and PH.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that Tetra and Niko are more or less the same age in The Wind Waker. I suppose it's biologically plausible that Tetra's descendants all reproduced at a young age, and the more I think about it I realize that this wouldn't even be that unusual, but there's one problem with it.

If Tetra's bloodline reproduced fast enough to begin four generations in 100 years, then Zelda's parents should still be alive in Spirit Tracks. They couldn't be more than 50 years old. If this is a world where someone like Niko, who grew up on a pirate ship, can live to be a supercentenarian, then I have to assume that their life expectancy is at the very least on par with ours and likely much longer.

So where are Zelda's parents?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Something that always bothered me about Spirit Tracks is the fact that the reigning Zelda is a descendant of Tetra, and yet Niko is still alive. Hyrule Historia tells us that this Zelda is the great-great-granddaughter of Tetra, and Aonuma apparently mentioned in an interview that the game takes place about a century after WW and PH.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that Tetra and Niko are more or less the same age in The Wind Waker. I suppose it's biologically plausible that Tetra's descendants all reproduced at a young age, and the more I think about it I realize that this wouldn't even be that unusual, but there's one problem with it.

If Tetra's bloodline reproduced fast enough to begin four generations in 100 years, then Zelda's parents should still be alive in Spirit Tracks. They couldn't be more than 50 years old. If this is a world where someone like Niko, who grew up on a pirate ship, can live to be a supercentenarian, then I have to assume that their life expectancy is at the very least on par with ours and likely much longer.

So where are Zelda's parents?
Interesting question, unfortunately there is no answer. Maybe they did die somehow, maybe Niko just got lucky to live so long (afterall he would be like 110 in Spirit Tracks). Your caculations are probably off, if Zelda's parents in Spirit Tracks had Zelda while they were young than they would only be about 25 maybe 30 years old during the time the game takes place. There is really no reason why they shouldn't be in the game.

zangetsu468

Demon Slayer
Where indeed. The same reason there's never a Queen of Hyrule; because Zelda.
We've seen the King die by the hands of Agahnim, is it possible that when Hylians/ Hyruleans are warring regicide is regularly committed?

All Zeldas suffer from the dreaded Disney Princess Curse. Their parents are either both dead or daddy dearest is alive for a few precious seconds in a cutscene. I mean has there ever been a king who was alive for any longer then a cutscene?

Edit: I take it back, the King is alive in Minish Cap.

Last edited:

Lord_Cathaseigh

Like a sir.
I'm assuming that Minish Cap is just kinda the odd one outta the bunch. Zelda's parents are probably just not that important to the narrative to need to be shown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom