• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Adventure of Link Zelda 2 = Crazy Hard

B

boomerang

Is it just me or is Zelda 2 savagely difficult to the point of insurmountable?
I know most people already think it's hard and say it's the "black sheep" or whatever but I mean, I watched the most of the entire walkthrough for it, am using cheat codes & it's still hard!! there are times when enemies gang up on you from every direction & I do not see how it is even possible to avoid death. And I thought the cheap-cheap levels in Mario 1 are annoying--the sections in Zelda 2 with the broken bridge and the boggle-boggles are... inconceivable!

Mases must be more than a wizard he makes it look so easy. Anybody who has beating this game, what's your secret??

well, I personally have not finished the game, but know what your talking about and I think I know why, the difficulty of the game is ok, but the difficulty should be given in moderation, because the beggining of the game everyone can agree is WAY too hard, and I think thats why people think its so hard. as for your question, im going to guess that they're just super awesome gamers! im ok, but not that insane... o_O...

Pikacondon said:
Its crazy. sell AoL now! We don't want you to have to put up with this!
Things like this irritate me.

The Adventure of Link is a great game, and there is no need to sell it. The best way to get through the game is to level up as much as you can before heading off to the next palace. Also, if you think you need them, gather some Link Doll's, too, before going somewhere.
As for spells, Shield, Jump, and Life are some of the spells you want to use in palaces. Also, make sure you at least get the Downward Thrust as soon as you can get it because that one is a life saver. Upward Thrust isn't really needed, but its useful from time to time.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Is it just me or is Zelda 2 savagely difficult to the point of insurmountable?
I know most people already think it's hard and say it's the "black sheep" or whatever but I mean, I watched the most of the entire walkthrough for it, am using cheat codes & it's still hard!! there are times when enemies gang up on you from every direction & I do not see how it is even possible to avoid death. And I thought the cheap-cheap levels in Mario 1 are annoying--the sections in Zelda 2 with the broken bridge and the boggle-boggles are... inconceivable!

Mases must be more than a wizard he makes it look so easy. Anybody who has beating this game, what's your secret??

Well, what you say here is universally accepted, and I have not completed this game. But one thing I know is a must for this game is patience. If you do not have it, you'll have a hard time beating the game like me :)

B

boomerang

yes patience is what I definitely lack. :( how do I get that? -just kidding

Idk about anyone else but the difficulty makes me want to beat the game even more now.

I started it once and got nowhere. I want to revisit it someday, and actually give it the time it deserves, but the beginning is so ridiculously hard that I can't make myself do it.

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
Leveling up, using Shield magic when you encounter what seems to be a tough enemy. Don't shy away from using your spells, as there are plenty of opportunities to refill your magic from either magic jars every 7th enemy or so drops, or from the old lady in orange in towns. As you get used to the side scroll fighting system you'll get better at it, and will make enemies more manageable.

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Adventure of Link is one of the best Zelda games in terms of Difficulty. I really loved it!

The game itself is really worth playing, despite the level up and the side-scrolling. It kinda bugs me with that set-up, but I just ignore it. As what the others are saying, JUST keep playing and JUST have Patience. HAVE Faith....Believe in your strengths....and your abilities and sword skills. :D

But enough about that, AoL being hard is kinda what I wanted to see in a Zelda game. I mean everything that's difficult has the greatest rewards. This is true to some sidequests in the entire Zelda series. Getting things easily aren't fun and boring. AoL is the embodiment of those qualities. I'd buy a game that has the difficulty mirroring the game.

As for my secret: Level Up. Run away when your low on health. Never EVER fight any enemies that do not yield experience points. Use the Downward thrust whenever possible.

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
I'm not using cheat codes but I leveled up max before I even entered the third palace and I watched the entire video walkthrough a couple of times but I still cant get past the sixth palace! So I agree with you, it is crazy hard. I put the game down for a while but that does not mean I've totally given up on the game. Beating AoL is something I will do soon one of these years. I think my problem is that I'm being too conservative of my magic and not using the life spell when I need it, or I use way too much magic. Oh, and thank the great goddesses for for the downward thrust. How would it be possible to beat the game without it.

Alder Dragon

Classic Gamer
Practice and more practice. The biggest hurdle for me was killing darknuts. Mases told me a trick a few years ago.. you jump and slash on your way down, sort of hitting them in the head-area. Be very conservative with your magic, and plan your routes through the dungeons. I'd recommend trying to do one thing at a time with the lives you have. For example, do your very best to get the item in a dungeon, then you're free to die (because you'll still keep the item). Afterwards you can come back and avoid possibly harder areas of the dungeon and take the quickest route to the boss. Another super hard area of the game for me was the route to the Great Palace.. very easy to fall into the pits there.

I beat this game long ago when I was just a kid, back on the old NES with no help except a few Nintendo Power articles. It can be done, even if it takes forever, just keep trying over and over again ;)

And personally, I liked the level up system.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Games are supposed to be hard, not nearly impossible. Being hard isn't everything. It's important but it's not the only consideration. If a game is so absurdly hard, like Adventure of Link is, you're going to get frustrated and the enjoyment of all other aspects of the game will decrease. A Link to the Past on the other hand had an excellent balance of high difficulty versus the rest of the game. It was a good deal hard, but it didn't leave you wondering how the crap you were going to get through it like in AoL. You kind of just get tired with the whole game when you'd had to start back from a game over for your third time in a row just GETTING to Great Palace, let alone in it. I want games to challenge me, not be impossible to enjoy.
And no I'm not new to the series. I've been into Zelda since the release of Link's Awakening in '93. And my first system was a NES and I had plenty of challenging games, similar to Adventure of Link, on that I enjoyed, and I was 4 then. So no, "you're just a new gamer that doesn't get the old games" excuse.

D

Dimitri_Dodongo

I LOVE AOL! =D It's one of my favorite Zelda games of all time. ^_^
Sure, it's a little more difficult... But all the more fun!
I remember doing a 4 container challenge on the GBA version of AoL (Complete the game with only the four starting containers) I managed to do it... after a fair while. =S I personally jump over the platforms at the end of each dungeon where you place the crystal and gain a single level up until Link gets to about Lv 6-7 with all 3 skill attributes. Hence, it makes it WAAAY easier to get level 9 everything late game without having to just grinnnnnd enemies in the overworld for Exp. =P

Still the first time I beat AoL = Most fulfilling (or relieving =P) experience ever with a video game. xD

B

boomerang

i too like the level-up system and wouldn't mind seeing it again in some Zelda title, maybe a 3D one. Also, the magic spells I wish they would use that idea again and elaborate on it. Ocarina's spells were cool but there wasn't enough. And din's fire was so cool yet useless most of the time! wtf?

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
I've beaten the game numerous times. I have it burned into my brain. That game just takes practice, but it's still a fun game. It's definetely the hardest Zelda title to date, but don't let that intimidate you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom