• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Your Thoughts on Master Quest 3D

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I personally found the Master Quest in Ocarina of Time 3D to be wonderful. The mirrored world made it feel fresh rather than just a rehash of the same game with different dungeons, and the double damage factor actually had me carrying fairies around for a legitimate reason. (Because I needed them sometimes.) Instead of just running through the came without worrying about losing much health, I had to strategize (if that's a word) how I was going to do things sometimes, and I found myself being extra cautious against the Stalfos occasionally, as they take off either 2 or 4 hearts, depending on if they swing or jump. And with Twinrova, I had to make absolute sure I didn't get hit by that fire, or I'd probably have died (although that's not hard to avoid, anyway). And the puzzles are pretty out there. I mean, Jabu-Jabu with its...cow heads on the walls. COW HEADS! WAT DA FU- *BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM* HUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!! (Ok, now that that's over...)

All that said, I think the Master Quest is really what completes Ocarina of Time 3D, as the nostalgia alone is great, but following it up with that really puts it over the top for a hardcore fan like me. But how 'bout you? What are your thoughts? Have you even gotten to the Master Quest yet? Please tell!

Garo

Boy Wonder
I agree with all of your points. The Master Quest was the selling factor for me when I purchased it, and though I really enjoyed the main quest - it is the Master Quest option that will keep me coming back to the 3DS version.

The cow heads were really surreal, and I found them a hilarious and entertaining addition that made Jabu-Jabu's Belly painfully difficult at times. The double-damage factor will make 3-Heart runs all the more interesting, though I wish there were a way to turn that feature on in the main quest. In fact, I wish there were options to alternatively turn on/off the mirrored world, the Master Quest dungeons, and the double damage.

But, all that said, I loved Master Quest - well, am loving it. Damn Fire Temple has me stumped at the moment.

i loved the master quest's dungeons and double damage from enemies but for some reason the overworld being flipped just annoyed me more than added to any challenge. it would have been fine to have just the dungeons flipped but when i was out in hyrule field or any town or village it kinda had me wishing i was playing the regular quest just out of nostalgia. now for future playthroughs i'm kinda torn between the regular and master quest.

Owner828

I'm not the muffin man!
When I played through the master quest I LOVED it. Except for the fact that when I was at The Deku Tree I died about 6 times due to double damage and no bottles... But the challenges where great. At the spirit temple as young link I was very confused because I needed one key and couldn't find it...It made me leave, go beat the fire temple, and come back... anyways the mirrored world made me confused and once I walked as young link to the wrong side of the field... but, I loved the master quest and I almost died laughing with the cows at Jabu-Jabu's belly. I wish the bosses were improved though because I didn't die once to any bosses on my run through. The double damage factor really didn't increase the difficulty of the bosses. After beating the master quest, I currently am playing through the regular quest and now its normal non-reversed world is confusing, but very familiar at the same time.

I loved the Master Quest. It was a real challenge, and I haven't had that out of Ocarina of Time in a VERY long time. I was stumped many times, though one thing that struck me as odd was that the hardest dungeon in the main quest (in my opinion) was the Water Temple, but that was the easiest in the Master Quest. Also, of all of the Adult dungeons, the Spirit Temple has always been the easiest for me, but in MQ I actually had to use a guide because I was so stumped! Overall, I think it is a great addition, and I can't wait to do a three heart run!

Kybyrian

Honestly, I can't say I was very impressed. This is coming from a guy who played the original Master Quest, though. I felt that the mirror was something that was sort of new and fun at first, but really it didn't affect me much at all. When I go through dungeons, I memorize the jist of what I'm doing, not the entire dungeon step by step. I was absolutely not affected by the Deku Tree. The only thing that confused me there was the ladder placement when you first enter. Dodongo's Cavern, I noticed absolutely no change. All I did was remember puzzles. The new directions were nothing to throw me off. I have played Ocarina of Time countless times, yes, but I have only played Master Quest thoroughly once before, and the mirror did not throw me off at all.

If I were to review the Master Quest in general, I would say it's excellent. The double damage added a whole new level of difficulty to what could be an otherwise very easy game for veteran players like myself. That being said, I did find myself being a lot more careful than in a casual playthrough, though. The double damage didn't catch up to me on the dying... but it led me to change my playing style to be just a little less reckless.

As always, the puzzle changes were very welcome. It really threw a few curveballs at you on some of the dungeons, since people who have played the game countless times would usually have the dungeons pretty down pat until something like this is done. Like I said, though, I've already played Master Quest once before, and those puzzles are stuck in my mind. Because of that, I was able to recall the puzzles exactly and solve them just as well with the mirror. The mirror added something a little fresh to general exploration, like the towns and villages we are all used to, but it really didn't affect my playthrough of dungeons or anything.

Overall, I would have to say that the Master Quest was very wonderful, but the mirror wasn't as great as a lot of people seem to be playing it out to be.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Honestly, I can't say I was very impressed. This is coming from a guy who played the original Master Quest, though. I felt that the mirror was something that was sort of new and fun at first, but really it didn't affect me much at all. When I go through dungeons, I memorize the jist of what I'm doing, not the entire dungeon step by step. I was absolutely not affected by the Deku Tree. The only thing that confused me there was the ladder placement when you first enter. Dodongo's Cavern, I noticed absolutely no change. All I did was remember puzzles. The new directions were nothing to throw me off. I have played Ocarina of Time countless times, yes, but I have only played Master Quest thoroughly once before, and the mirror did not throw me off at all.

If I were to review the Master Quest in general, I would say it's excellent. The double damage added a whole new level of difficulty to what could be an otherwise very easy game for veteran players like myself. That being said, I did find myself being a lot more careful than in a casual playthrough, though. The double damage didn't catch up to me on the dying... but it led me to change my playing style to be just a little less reckless.

As always, the puzzle changes were very welcome. It really threw a few curveballs at you on some of the dungeons, since people who have played the game countless times would usually have the dungeons pretty down pat until something like this is done. Like I said, though, I've already played Master Quest once before, and those puzzles are stuck in my mind. Because of that, I was able to recall the puzzles exactly and solve them just as well with the mirror. The mirror added something a little fresh to general exploration, like the towns and villages we are all used to, but it really didn't affect my playthrough of dungeons or anything.

Overall, I would have to say that the Master Quest was very wonderful, but the mirror wasn't as great as a lot of people seem to be playing it out to be.

Well, yeah, the flip isn't that hard if you know your left from your right. With the dungeons, I had actually never beaten any of them except the Deku Tree in the original Master Quest, so the flip didn't really affect me there, just in a different way than it didn't you. It was just the puzzles that were a bit tricky at times. (Although the Water Temple was significantly easier. I know, right?) The flip did make a bit of a difference at times, though (imo). I got lost a couple times in the overworld, as it's not just simple right and left like the dungeons are. It's a giant area that's somewhat easy to get lost in the first time the game is played, anyway. But, like you said, it's not really that hard to get used to.

Red Link

Sandwhich and Cereal
Thoughts on Ocarina of Time Master Quest

i know that the whole game will be mirrored and have more challenges, also enemies will do twice as much damage to you. So just tell whatever you think about Master Quest 3D

Well I assume you mean the Ocarina of Time 3D Master Quest because you mentioned the mirroring. My thoughts:

The Master Quest is very difficult. It adds a great level of thought and endurance. The puzzles are very tough and at times frustrating (even in the first 2 temples). Hardcore Zelda fans will find this to be amongst, if not the, greatest challenge(s) Zelda has seen. I stopped at Dodongo's Cavern to do a 100% playthrough of the original quest, but the Master Quest is surely a great, difficult experience.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Well, my initial thoughts of MQ were "OMG, BLUE TEXT!" because I saw it's logo, just thought I'd say that x)

Okay, srsly, I think that Master Quest is an extremely well done piece of beef. What I mean is, it's tough. Puzzles are a lot more confusing than normal due to they're status as altered, and the enemies placed within most of the dungeons actually makes it scary. The items are ever useful, with finding the gold skulltulas requiring an item you get 2 dungeons later being a nice change. And above all, Link always looks like he never took a scratch xD

Now if I may complain, I really hate that the overworld is the same. I know that is to avoid further confusion to the point of not playing, but in a way confusion for MQ would make the game so much better, at least for that one mode.

A really cool thing that I think everyone should try is the infamous 3 heart challenge (3HC), put play Ocarina of Time Master Quest 3D. Not only does that basically force you into submission (or defense) due to the different layouts of the dungeons, but you can't let up for even a second because of the double damage feature. To add to your troubles, Nintendo took the liberty to flip the world, so I believe that an MQ3D 3HC would be the ultimate challenge for any Zelda fan, hardcore or casual.

Master Quest is a great challenge for anyone who played OOT. The puzzles really make you think and make you remember stuff (like who would think to go back to the Great Deku Tree for a Time Block puzzle.

Red Link

Sandwhich and Cereal
Well in the original master quest in some dungeons you would get the dungeon item earlier. But the water temple in Master Quest 3D i bet will make people's heads explode with confusion. But it is a nice challenge to good zelda gamers. I really want to play the master quest 3d because i would love a good challenge.

P

Purehalo59

I still haven't finished master quest yet. On the WW edition I only got up tithe water temple then I couldn't be bothered to do the rest and on the 3DS I just finished the forest temple
I liked the idea of the master quest. Remastered dungeons, a 'hardcore' type combat system and the mirrored overworld (certainly confused me the first time got out of link's house). And I have not been disappointed yet with the outcome if this. I think that it was a great addition that kept me playing Ocarina of Time for a while.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I'm stuck in Jabu-Jabu with the cows...I can't find the bombchus but I'll post it in the help section. I think it's awesome so far! The first time I started it up and saw it was mirrored (I knew, obviously, but still) my brain seized. I have the entire game essentially memorized and when everything was mirrored I just sat there for about 5 minutes going "Uhhhhhhh..." And I STILL go the wrong way in Hyrule Field and such. :D

I started playing Master Quest 3D today, and have a question:

Do I get bragging rights for completing the first dungeon (Inside Deku Tree) and not dying? Or is that not impressive?

It's not a fun dungeon if you get very creeped out by the Gohma eggs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom