• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your praises/criticism for Skyward Sword

How was Skyward Sword?

• Great

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Good

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Ok

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Yeeeww

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Haven't played

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
It's gonna be 8 years after the release of Skyward sword (Wii) on 18/11/2019. So what did you enjoy in that game and what made you frown? :fi::ghirahim:
I liked:
  • The colourful overworld
  • Loftwing instead of horses
  • Being a motion control game
  • SKY LOFT! SKY AND THOSE BEAUTIFUL FLOATING ISLANDS!
  • Had better graphics than Twilight Princess (Wii)
  • Bow and arrow at the end of the game and a relatively powerful one
  • Beetle and clawshots
  • Exciting Side quests
I did not like:
  • The game being linear
  • Fi
  • Zelda looks like crap
  • You visit the same places thrice. Searching Zelda, Sacred Flames, Song of the hero. Booooring!
  • Worthless Master Mode
  • True Master Sword can only be wielded by Link but is snatched by Ghirahim without the slightest difficulty
  • 20191023_212500.jpg

Last edited:
Skyward Sword, for me, is one of the most disappointing Zelda games and is by far the worst 3D Zelda game to date. A bad 3D Zelda game had to happen eventually, i'm just glad it happened during the Wii period.

Firstly, Skyward Sword is very much like Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks; games butchered by the hardware they appeared on due to Nintendo always wanting to push an (often once only) 'immersive' gimmick.

The Wii hardware never sat well with me and i didnt enjoy the majority of the games released for it, so it was a shame (but no surprise) that Skyward Sword ended up sucking in so many ways.

Skyward Sword was flawed on a conceptual level due to introducing and integrating the Wii's motion controls into every facet of the game's design. An egregious example would be the Beamos (and other enemies within the Lanayru Mining Facility) that have glowing cut-here-to-defeat lines across their bodies, which is just patronising, but then again so is the rest of the game.

The motion controls for me were a major barrier preventing me from becoming immersed within SS's world from a gameplay perspective; the constant recalibration for first person items like the bow and abilities such as dowsing, the constant flapping of the Loftwing's wings to fly, the lack of manual camera control, the irritation of swinging on vines, pulling switches, throwing and rolling bombs, guiding the beetle, swimming and every aspect of combat felt clunky, limited, inconvenient and not as responsive or intuitive as i'd have liked at all.

I was constantly being reminded that I was playing a game and it wasnt one I was enjoying; 'slash here' 'turn this' 'recalibrate' and 'tilt this way' were dull (and often frustrating) actions that did nothing but detract from the overall experience.
Would enemies have had glowing slash-here-to-defeat lines like a child's first DIY book? Probably not. Would those swinging vines have been there? Probably not. Would those infernal rotating boss key sections have been there? Definitely not.

At this point it sounds like all my frustrations were born of the motion controls and while the game's design is largely the victim of them being included there are many other things Skyward Sword got so completely wrong that the motion controls were the least irritating aspect of my experience...

The art style sucks. Plain and simple. It sounds good on paper that Nintendo chose to use an expressionist style to mask the limitations of the Wii's power but its still horrible. Not because the draw distance is a horrible blur of colour (the blur is the point) but because it is ugly in design. The character designs look terrible, human characters have distractingly ugly facial features, their eyes are dead and some of their expressions are straight up terrifying.

Other characters such as the Mogmas are some of the worst designed characters i've seen in any game ever, they're hideous. The bosses are trash too; Tentalus, Moldarach, Scaldera, Ghirahim, The Imprisoned and Akuma-sorry-Demise. They all have terrible designs and terribly gimmicky motion control based battles, more so than standard enemies and the overworld, none of them are fun save for Koloktos (and even he is overrated in both looks and battle).

While we're on the topic of character design, the design team were given complete freedom for the design of The Imprisoned. Complete freedom and they make a pinecone with toes. Let that sink in.

That's enough for the way things look, now let's talk about the way they interact with each other and the narrative.

Terrible. Just terrible.
The opening hour reads like a fanfiction. A day in the life of Link and Zelda as they flirt and go about their lives with a sugary carefree nature in a place where nobody else is important.
Zelda comes off like a fangirl self-insert and is just as irritating, she hits most of the cliche anime tropes early on and continues to do so until the credits roll.

The way Groose is handled is so ham-fisted that his whole arc is an insultingly blunt affair.
He starts out as a jerk and ends as less of a jerk. A character reversal arc can be a wonderful thing but all it takes for Groose is three very short, very on-the-nose cutscenes (that'd even make Sakamoto blush) to completely 180 his character. It isn't big, it isn't clever but he still manages to be the most interesting character in the game by default because the rest of the cast are just so terribly written.

Ghirahim... well, he doesn't really have anything going on. He wants to defeat Link and sacrifice Zelda to Demise. He starts out wanting to kill Link and dies wanting to kill Link... or does he?
I ask because in the scene following the Lanayru Mining Facility dungeon where Ghirahim attacks Impa and Zelda, Ghirahim basically says to Link 'I should have beat you last time, I could beat you this time, but I'll beat you next time', then he disappears. So... why didn't he fight Link? Did he just not care? Whatever.

Impa keeps her mysterious identity thing going between the young and old versions of herself even though its obvious.
Her younger self has a coldness about her while her older self has a guiding warmth. Good stuff Nintendo, very clever. See what you did there. Nice. Moving on.

Zelda, Groose, Ghirahim and Impa all make for a dull supporting cast alongside the ever-blank Link. Anyone else who appears in the game really isn't worth talking about as far as characterisation goes because there isn't any to be had (especially Fi, her final moments annoy me so much that I'm not going to waste time talking about them).

So what of the narrative?
Well, as i mentioned, the opening hour is a very tropey anime fanfiction while the following hours are something of a chase with Link catching up to a kidnapped Zelda over the course of three dungeons.
After these dungeons Link has to 'prove himself' for the three sacred flames to temper the Goddess Sword into the Master Sword (via some retconning of course) then prove himself again for the Song of the Hero and then prove himself again via (horrific) stealth missions in the Sacred Realm before finally locating the three pieces of the Triforce.

Standard Zelda stuff but the idea of Link constantly 'proving himself' gets old fast, especially when you're tempering the Goddess Sword into the Master Sword. You know how the sword is gonna end up, you're basically going through the motions until the sword looks like what you know. Its dull and tedious.

The final hours are a chore too and the final boss is laughable.
It is pretty difficult to feel intimidated by an end-game boss when you've spent the last thirty hours clipping its toenails (The Imprisoned, the fail whale that it is) before dropping half an island on its head.
Proto-Ganon (Demise) should have been threatening. To see the pure untamed evil that is Ganon-before-Ganon should have been an epic and important moment for the franchise as a whole... but it was just funny. Dude looks like a bargain Akuma.

So, the controls suck, the character designs and art style suck, the characters themselves suck and the narrative sucks... what else is there? Oh yeah!

The overworld sucks too.
What happened here? The whole thing is a mess.

Firstly, the sky; its empty. It really is empty.
Wind Waker has an island in every quadrant of its map, big or small there was something to do on every island you found. There's none of that in Skyward Sword's sky.
You have Skyloft which acts as a fine hub, budget Lon Lon Ranch in the form of the Lumpy Pumpkin which doesnt offer much outside of a few dull sidequests. Then there are three minigame islands and the rest is filler.
The Thunderhead serves as a place to progress the narrative once Link has proven himself for something, the scene of a single boss battle and minigame. That still isn't much to write home about.

Flying in the sky is a chore with all of the flapping (no camera control either despite the nunchuck not being used at all) and it feels so damn slow, mostly because there isn't anything around to give the sense of speed unless you're flying over Skyloft or through a boost-rock.
Combat is pointless as you can only tackle enemies with your Loftwing and not slash at anything with your sword like in TP because the motion controls only allow for control of your bird while flying, not Link (and none of his items either).
You also cant fly at night because SS doesn't have a day/night cycle (what?!) You can make it night by resting in a bed but you still wont be allowed to fly at night. Man, a day/night cycle could have made this game look so damn pretty.
All in all the sky in Skyward Sword is nothing more than an elaborate level select menu.

The world beneath the clouds sucks too.
Three unconnected provinces that open up little by little killing any sense of free progression (Zelda games have always gated you in the past but never to this extent).
These three provinces of forest, fire and desert will be the same ones you'll be seeing for the entire game. Yes, new sections are revealed, but a desert is still a desert and a forest is still a forest (even if you flood it and pretend its a water level).

These provinces are unlike other Zelda deserts and forests as they act like mini dungeons in and of themselves. Theyre filled with non-organic puzzles which lessens the feel of exploration even more since youre always moving something somewhere or rolling a bomb somewhere else. The sense of wonder of exploring a strange new place is entirely lost since you're literally constantly 'working' through it rather than exploring. All three provinces suffer from this design choice to crowbar in more motion control gimmicks.

Apparantly the overworld was originally going to be connected but they decided to separate it so that the player had reason to go back into the sky... Okay, then why not put something worthwhile in the sky to give them a reason?

The dungeons weren't anything to write home about either. Lanayru Mining Facility was probably my favourite but it was still dull as hell. The Ancient Cistern had a nice idea but didn't do it justice and the Sand Ship stands out for being very un-Zelda-like but it was disappointing too.

I'd like to talk about how the horde battle was a mess, how being pulled into the collection screen for ten seconds after each time you load the game is a massive pain, I'd like to talk about the enemies and how the gameplay sacrificed a lot of their potential but I've gone on for a while now. Let's just say I have more issues than I have mentioned but these are a particular miscellaneous set that need mentioning.

I should probably talk about something I liked about SS.... well I liked the main theme (backwards Zelda's Lullaby), i like the tracks Fi's Farewell and Island in the Sky. They're some of the best tracks Zelda has to offer as a series.

Hmmm... well... that's why I think Skyward Sword sucked and why i dislike it. I could write another essay on how i would improve Skyward Sword but here isn't the place.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
This is complicated. I think SS has some very serious design flaws and shouldn't work as a game, but I 100%ed it AND 6-heart challenged the game on hero mode as well. If I think it was so bad, why did I play it for hundreds of hours?

Well, for starters, the package is appealing. It had a nice visual style, beautiful set-pieces like Skyloft, and an amazing orchestral soundtrack. Also I had very few games to occupy my time.

On the other hand, it had the single worst overworld in a Zelda game (even including Zelda II!) and the sub-worlds like Faron Woods were super linear and felt claustrophobic with the amount of "hallways" in the level design, and the motion control gimmick was... imperfect. Throw in repetitive boss fights and you have a hot mess.

Let's break these down, shall we?

The Imprisoned in the room is of course the motion controls. 1:1 swordplay sounds like everyones biggest fantasy for the Wii, right? Wrong! It frequently bugged out for a lot of people, and even when it did work, it was only 1:1 when idly moving the sword around, the actual slashes only went in the 8 cardinal directions with the addition of a thrust. Enemies would frequently telegraph their moves so obviously a trained monkey could figure out the pattern, so there was no real point to it. Even worse, trying to stab would often result in a spin attack going off instead. The worst part of the motion controls though, is that it really ****ed with anyone who was left-handed.

On the plus side, the game had a nice visual style, part-way between the exaggerated cartoonishness of Wind Waker (which, hot take, I still don't love, just in terms of the models, even if the cel shaded part works wonderfully) and the more normal proportions of Twilight Princess, just without all the mid-2000s grunge. The resolution was crap on HDTVs of the time, but on a CRT the colors looked vibrant, and the stylization mostly holds up, even if there is something... wrong with Links face. Wind Waker's style still aged better

The visual style goes right out the window, though, the second you actually do anything in the Sky. I don't care how good your use of color is, when your entire overworld is an unending expanse of off-white clouds, the entire screen just starts to look yellow after a while. Despite small rocks floating around, as well as the very rare sky island, theres nothing to really offset the endless expanse of nothing. The only thing that breaks up the visual monotony are the beacons, which brings me to a related issue: how can there be an opaque layer of clouds on the Sky, while the surface world can see a blue sky just fine? Yeah you can say "oh it's magic" but that seems a little lazy of an explanation.

The sole exception to the visual monotony of the Sky is, of course, Skyloft. I've always loved the idea of sky-based cities, from Star Wars to DnD to Known Space, and the idea that a god ripped out chunks of the earth to keep people safe is an interesting bit of worldbuilding (or world-breaking, to nitpick). The use of colors as well (building off the visual style point from earlier) along with the unique Loftwings helps to paint a picture of a unique and fantastic place. The glimpses into how the environment shaped the culture tickles the worldbuilding part of my brain and I like it.

On the other end of the spectrum, we've got the... regional areas? sub-worlds? whatever the **** they're called. Faron Woods is I think the most emblematic of the overall design issue. The world is very linear, with a number of places bottlenecking through narrow hallways. This can work, if it's used sparingly. It was not. Unlike a game such as, say, Monster Hunter World, where the north end of the forest is full of narrow pathways due to cliffs and tightly-packed trees, Faron woods is restrictive and takes place between cliffs.... just because. The environment isn't creatively used, and the section just after the Temple is the worst example of this.

At least the dungeons fared slightly better, though. Two of the best dungeons in the game come in during the second half of the story, specifically the Sand Ship and the Fire Sanctuary. The Fire Sanctuary worked well because of the slightly more open layout (or at least it gave off the illusion of openness, which is tricky to do in a linear game like this), and the Sand Ship had a unique puzzle. It was also a derelict pirate ship, which instantly makes it the best dungeon in the game, I'm sorry, those are just the rules.

Unfortunately, the downside is that those interesting dungeons have the worst bosses. The Fire Sanctuary has a re-battle of His Demonic Fabulousness, which is super un-interesting, especially since Girahim is barely a character, let alone a persistent antagonist. With the Sand Ship, the mini boss is a reanimated skeletal pirate with an electrified sword. You'd think that with the pirate motif and that mini boss, the end boss would be a more powerful pirate, perhaps maybe alive again due to the Timeshift Stones, right? WRONG! It's a generic "shoot the eye" boss. It's baffling that the same game that has Koloktos as a boss had to rely on SquiggleHair McShootMeInTheEye for a *pirate ship* of all things. Also, rebattling The Imprisoned three times sucked, it was terrible, and I hate it.

Ending off with a positive, the OST for the game is really good. The orchestral sounds really come through, and the grand sense of scale that the Sky Theme imparts is fantastic. Unfortunately, it has to go with the Sky, so it's dragged down by association. I firmly believe that if it was attached to a better-designed game, then this would be one of the best soundtracks in the series. Even Fi's theme (for a character nobody really liked) is a wonderful little piano piece. If only the rest of the game was so good. Also the Demise Part 2 theme sounds like a track for a Pokemon Champion Battle and I love it.

Overall do I think that it's a good game? Yeee-esss... ish. The good parts are really great, and if the issues were reworked, there's the potential for a great game.

GrooseIsLoose

ZD Legend
Unfortunately, the downside is that those interesting dungeons have the worst bosses. The Fire Sanctuary has a re-battle of His Demonic Fabulousness, which is super un-interesting, especially since Girahim is barely a character, let alone a persistent antagonist. With the Sand Ship, the mini boss is a reanimated skeletal pirate with an electrified sword. You'd think that with the pirate motif and that mini boss, the end boss would be a more powerful pirate, perhaps maybe alive again due to the Timeshift Stones, right? WRONG! It's a generic "shoot the eye" boss. It's baffling that the same game that has Koloktos as a boss had to rely on SquiggleHair McShootMeInTheEye for a *pirate ship* of all things. Also, rebattling The Imprisoned three times sucked, it was terrible, and I hate it.

Overall do I think that it's a good game? Yeee-esss... ish. The good parts are really great, and if the issues were reworked, there's the potential for a great game.
Yea ,I almost threw my Wii mote when imprisoned appeared a third time.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
the speedrun cuts out 2 of the imprisoned fights and I think that's the way to go.

I applaud Skyward Sword on its environmental design, I thought revisiting areas was handled well and it tickles my brain to see and interact with something in a new way. You can't beat flooded Faron Woods imo

I don't see how there's a major difference between reusing the same area and adding environmental changes vs adding a completely new area, I honestly prefer the first because then you're not gonna get lost

I think the greatness of the things skyward sword does unique to the series far outweighs the justifiable complaints people have with it (linearity, fi, boss fights (hardware issues aren't a justifiable complaint :^) ) )

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I spoiled the story for myself with SS and Nintendo themselves showed off way too much so that no dungeon or boss was a surprise. My first playthrough of Skyward Sword was underwhelming and I bashed the game a lot because after my favourite game TP (2006) I would have thought the next logical step would be to enhance and improve upon that. This didn't happen and a very different direction was taken.

I'll start with the Good:

Good main cast - Zelda was very sweet and likeable and I felt a desire to save her which is what the game is all about. Groose was a likeable and funny rival and Ghirahim a fabulous antagonist who was a joy to have on screen. Impa was also good. The development of these characters was an improvement over past games which often had shallow characters. TP actually was the first to have a well developed character arc in Midna and whilst I don't think any of the SS cast were on that level, it was a first to have so many characters who were given that bit of extra attention.

Compelling Story: It was all about saving Zelda and preventing the return of the demon king. I already said I wanted to save her, and this kept me going.

Cutscenes: These were well animated and there were a decent amount of them

Dungeons: I liked the Earth Temple, Ancient Cistern and the Lanayru Facility.

Silent Realms: These made the heart race, and I am glad they included them.

Music: I liked Grooses theme, Ghirahims Theme, Earth Temple Theme, Mining Facility Theme, Koloktos boss battle theme, Bilocytes Theme, Ancient Cistern Theme, Silent Realm Guardian Theme.

Bosses: There were some fun bosses. I loved Ghirahim, Moldarach, Koloktos and Bilocyte

Motion controls- I liked the way the beetle worked and the pocket style item selection menu. It was easy to switch items.

Now for the Bad:

Story- Whilst compelling as a standalone it was not well connected to the rest of the series in particular to OOT like Aounuma made out it would be. The game did not answer any questions in a satisfactory way as was made out. It also retconned the established lore that the master sword was forged by the ancient sages and gave it a completely different and in my opinion worse origin.

Art Style - This game was ****ing hideous. The usual NPC's looked like freaks which is nothing new, but the enemies looked goofy and downright ********. Not threatening or cool at all. The bokoblins with their bulbous heads and noses looked like they had too many chromosomes. And as for Tentalus he looked like the son of Mike Wazowski and that snake haired monster.

The distance painterly effect also sucked making everything look like a smudged haze

Dungeons- This game didn't do much interesting in terms of dungeons. But The first dungeon was boring as hell. The fire sanctuary was just another fire dungeon. We already had one in the earth temple. Not that it was bad but seriously could have varied the themes more. Sandship was a bland and brown dungeon I don't know why some people praise this dungeon.

Music- Some of the music in this game was downright innapropriate. The stalfos theme made me want to waltz with the stalfos. And they introduced Demise to the theme of mother****ing Batreaux. A comical character!

Revisiting old areas - This is tedious and they should have made new areas

Segmented disconnected overworld - The next logical step after TP and WW was to have an open world. Skyrim did this in the same year and month as SS. The Wii could handle it as it did with Xenoblade Chronicles. Yet Skyward Sword had you on constricted paths pretty much all the time. The sky was open but it was bland and hardly had anything interesting to do or find.

Stamina - Ridiculous to give a hero like Link a stamina meter. Nobody wants to see a great hero get out of breath like an COPD afflicted pensioner.

Breakable Shields - Shields just dont break like that. They can take loads of blows to the point where link could spend a whole game being attacked and his metal shield would still exist by the end.

Demise - This villain was given 5 minutes of screentime, supposed to be super powerful yet spends most of the game as a walking pinecone and then is slain as soon as he unpinecones himself.

Fi - Wouldn't have minded if not for the constant interruptions to gameplay. So irritating.

Motion controls- link looked like a moron the way he held his sword and most enemies could be defeated by mindless wrist waggling.

Lack of voice acting - It looked stupid in the 2006 Twilight Princess to have characters lips move in cutscenes but no voice coming out. Even worse in the 2011 SS which was even better animated and voice acting an industry standard.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
oh man, ever since like 2015 I've been meaning to replay this but as of now, I only did my initial playthrough and the hero mode one so I can only go off memory, I'll just say that while this was a disappointing game for a lot of people, myself included, and just simply not a worthy follow up to twilight princess, I still had a good time w/ it and would still consider it among my higher ranks for zelda, or maybe even just the middle, whichever

I liked:
-the swordplay
-the music
-a fair amount of the boss fights, mainly ghirahim
-certain characters
-the first visits to the 3 main areas

I disliked:
-going back to those areas again and again
-the 2nd imprisoned fight, I'm fine w/ the first and the third but the 2nd battle was ass
-large empty sky that takes much too long to traverse
-they went overboard w/ the motion controls, some I can get by while others just got in the way
-the introduction of races that are never used again making them pointless, parella are freaking stupid
-this game is a terrible prequel, raising way more questions than answers to the series
-the entire tadtone section, there was plenty of padding and some of it I can forgive, but this entire section had ZERO reason to be there
-the message prompt always showing off what material/bug you get, W H Y is this here if this was considered an error for the high value rupees in twilight princess???

...wow, I need to play it again

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
It's gonna be 8 years after the release of Skyward sword (Wii) on 18/09/2019.
...What?

Skyward Sword was released November 18th, 2011 in Europe, not in September.

Anyway, you'll have to read my Blog entries about Skyward Sword to get my thoughts on the game. I think once I finish up with the last entry, I'll do a bullet point blog summerizing my thoughts and I'll link that here.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
SS is a flawed masterpiece. It does a lot wrong, but what it does right, it does RIGHT. The motion controls were flawless IMO, the world was beautiful, the art style was fantastic, the story and characters are some of the best in the series, the soundtrack is phenomenal, I could go on and on.

I get that Fi was annoying, but I’m pretty sure that was a deliberate design choice. Remember this was Zeldas 25th anniversary, and as such SS was a culmination of all things Zelda, both good and bad. I think Fi was supposed to be a commentary on guide characters in the series and how worthless they could be, not to mention that it made her character more interesting. I’m not saying that the choice was a good one or even one I liked, but I understand why they did it. I still enjoy Fi as a character though.

Another thing I’d like to point out is that the master sword is never picked up by ol’ Peppermint kisses there, the only time that happens is in the boss rush mode, which happened only in Links memory.

Linearity has always been a thing in zelda, so I’m not entirely sure why this is the game people are upset with when it comes to structure. The backtracking was a major problem however. This could’ve been fixed if they just made the world more connected then it would’ve felt more natural. The sky was also a bit barren, but I think it would’ve been fine if it were just a bit more condensed. Honestly after all that the only complaint I have with the game is the unnecessary textboxes, but I think that those aren’t that big of a deal, I mean at least it’s not like WW where a cutscene plays of the song you just played EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Overall, Skyward Sword isn’t perfect, no game is, but I think that the pros outweigh the cons, and it’s easily one of the best games in the entire series.

GrooseIsLoose

ZD Legend
More people hate SS than like it...

Look at the poll results @Dizzi . you need to check on evidences before you say something :shrugs:
Anyways Yes @thePlinko the motion control feature was a great idea but it would have been great experience if it was accurate. Whenever I do vertical slashes (especially the seal on imprisoned's head) . I get a diagonal slash 60% of the time.

The linearity in SS was also present in every other game .
So yea ,it was the second best game after BotW

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Look at the poll results @Dizzi . you need to check on evidences before you say something :shrugs:
Anyways Yes @thePlinko the motion control feature was a great idea but it would have been great experience if it was accurate. Whenever I do vertical slashes (especially the seal on imprisoned's head) . I get a diagonal slash 60% of the time.
that really varies from person to person, b/c for me they worked like 90% of the time

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom