• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your Opinion on the Platforming Genre

Isaac

Doesn't have internet
I've never been a fan of platformers. It might be that I'm just not very good at them, but I just prefer adventure games, and sidescrolling really doesn't do it for me on a gameplay level.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I enjoy the platforming genre, and if anyone was to put a platformer title in front of me, I'd probably enjoy myself. But it's not my preferred genre, like adventure-centric games are, so I haven't really looked much beyond the Mario titles (except for Braid and a demo for Fez) as they are enough for me.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Honestly, I don't think platformers have faced any kind of decline. While Mario may be the best of them, that says more about the quality of the franchise than the state of the genre. There are still plenty of other games out there for platforming fans to enjoy like Sonic, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Rayman, Little Big Planet, and a bunch of other gems that don't get the attention they deserve. It may not be the most advertised or popularized genre in the industry anymore, but it's still a big one. Aside from the typical colorful and charming games we've come to expect from the genre, platforming has played quite a major role in plenty of other popular AAA games like Uncharted, Tomb Raider, and Assassin's Creed. While platforming isn't the only focus of either games, they definitely prove great examples of how the genre has expanded over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom