• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Xbox Live Worth Getting?-how Does It Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
well i was wondering if i should get an xbox 360 for christmas and xbox live.

i want it because im an all around gamer meaningi need to play games from rpg to shooter and adventure. i only own a wii and i only have to shooters metroid prime 3 and goldeneye.i really enjoy goldeneye online but when i go to my causins house playing cod online was much funer.

a lot of my friends at school have xbox live accounts so i would for sure have someone to play with.but if they come out with a new console late next year then id rather wait.

p.s.can you please tell me any info on how the x box live works.and modern warfare 3 that would be great.

EDIT:this thread can be closed
and check out my new thread which is another topic about the 360 and 3ds it woould help.

Last edited:

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
XBOX Live, yeah it cost money but it's totally worth it. The 360 has the best online any system has ever seen. The way it works is first you need to buy a membership and of course be connected to the internet. You redeem the code and your profile can now access XBOX Live. XBOX Live let's you download videos, demos, play online, communicate with friends by messaging or by voice, and so much more. I recommend it to anyone. But you know, it's up to you.:)

As for Modern Warfare 3. No news yet.

Note: Dude, Christmas is so far away.:D

just like what turo said xbox live is where its at. although I'm not able to get on because of internet issues i do reccomend it to anyone, when you sign up you get a month free but after that you pay. when you pay i recommend the year subscription which is 59.99 USD, since it costs $10 a month on a monthly subscription you'd be paying $120 a year which is double the cost of a year subscription. also if you ask for an xbox 360 ask for the xbox 360 slim 250Gb, i was stupid by getting the 4 GB model and now i have to get a xbox 360 slim hard drive to enjoy the games to their fullest (the hard drive is about $130).

ha ha yay christmas is a little far but im not going to be able to get it until then unless i can get a job (im almost 14 :) ) can you tell me how much it costs (the slim system).and seeing you no this much info what games would you recomend? im planing on getting rock band since my mom is in love with that game and whatever cod game comes out.

The slim 4gb(i don't recommend) is $199, where as the 250GB slim is $299 the 250GB is might costly buts its worth it. the reason why i recommend the 250gb because of 1. some games require the hard drive to play add ons and such, 2. more space to save add ons, music, movies etc. and 3. you don't have to pay $130 for a 360 slim hard drive. some games i reccommend, if you're into first person shooters, halo( all the ones on the 360, halo wars you might or might not like), battlefield bad company 1 and 2, fallout 3 CoD(of course), modern warfare 2 has the best multiplayer in my opinion. if you like fighting games whelp i don't own any so i can't recommend anything. rpgs, mass effect and mass effect 2, fable 3, i haven't played the first 2. um if you like grand theft auto, gta 4 is where its at it takes a while to get into the story though, mafia 2. Alan wake is a damn good game though i dont know what it would go under, that's all i can think of, and im really picky about video games, so if you find a good game let me know.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Well if you want games then I suggest...

Halo 3
Halo 3 ODST
Halo Reach
Gears of War
Gears of War 2
Gears of War 3 (Coming this fall)
Resident Evil 5
Grand Theft Auto IV
Red Dead Redemption
LA Noire (Coming this May)
Saint's Row
Saint's Row 2
Saint's Row 3 (coming this fall from what I heard)
Super Street Fighter IV
Marvel vs Capcom 3 Fate of Two Worlds (released on the 15th)
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed 2
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3 (Coming sometime this year)
Batman Arkham Asylum
Batman Arkham City (Coming sometime this year)
Splinter Cell Double Agent
Splinter Cell Conviction
Army of Two
Army of Two the 40th Day
Rainbow Six Vegas
Rainbow Six Vegas 2

These are just some of the many great games on XBOX. They're all different types of games and I recommend these for now, so check em out. Look them up, see reviews, whatever. And there's also a good selection of XBOX arcade games to check out too with XBOX Live.

TriforceHunter

Forever I am Abandoned
I personally say XBL is crap, this is all coming from an Xbox 360 owner so no, I am not just beign biased.

I personally stick with Nintendo, PS3 and PC. They all have online, they are free and good to go from the start and you don't have to deal with crap like Red Ring of Death, overheating, paying for online, lack of exclusives and all those BS problems the 360 gives you on a dailly basis.

Not only that, but you also gotta think into the future. Are the Xbox Live servers even gonna exist 5-10 years from now? You might be getting the service now, but once M$ decides to stop running the servers you are gonna feel screwed over, not only that but the games that come out are already 60 dollars on their own, and you gotta pay another 60 dollars to play the half of the game you already bought. PHUCK THAT NOISE!

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't HATE the 360, the software is good, it's just the hardware that sucks; I just think it's overrated and you're not really getting anything out of it.

There ARE too many underrated Wii/PS3/PC and even 360 games, so don't give into the all overrated Call of Duty, and don't think that just because everyone in your school has it and you're feeling left out is a reason to buy it. That was one of the reasons I bought it, I wanted to know what the big fuzz was, and now I sorta regret it.

That's all I gotta say.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I personally say XBL is crap, this is all coming from an Xbox 360 owner so no, I am not just beign biased.

I personally stick with Nintendo, PS3 and PC. They all have online, they are free and good to go from the start and you don't have to deal with crap like Red Ring of Death, overheating, paying for online, lack of exclusives and all those BS problems the 360 gives you on a dailly basis.

Not only that, but you also gotta think into the future. Are the Xbox Live servers even gonna exist 5-10 years from now? You might be getting the service now, but once M$ decides to stop running the servers you are gonna feel screwed over, not only that but the games that come out are already 60 dollars on their own, and you gotta pay another 60 dollars to play the half of the game you already bought. PHUCK THAT NOISE!

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't HATE the 360, the software is good, it's just the hardware that sucks; I just think it's overrated and you're not really getting anything out of it.

There ARE too many underrated Wii/PS3/PC and even 360 games, so don't give into the all overrated Call of Duty, and don't think that just because everyone in your school has it and you're feeling left out is a reason to buy it. That was one of the reasons I bought it, I wanted to know what the big fuzz was, and now I sorta regret it.

That's all I gotta say.

Um, where have you been. The XBOX like stopped having the red rings some time ago. It's been fixed. And the slim (correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't overheat as easy. I've been having my Elite for a while now and never had any problems and I play it a lot. Many games on the PS3 that are also on the 360 usually end up getting better reviews on the XBOX then the PS3. Yes the Online is free with the systems, but it's not good. That's what makes Live worth paying for. And the whole 60 bucks thing is the same with the PS3. And trust me. The servers won't die for a long time. The servers just died last year for the original XBOX.

That's all I gotta say.

ok i can see what some things you said are opinionated but i dont think your seeing why i exactly am choosing it so ill elaborate a little.
as i said im an all around gamer.i kind of have to depend on 3rd party companies for certain games especially shooters.but not all 3rd party games are that good and in order to enjoy them i think its easier to play online.ive been lacking 3rd party games and i need to expand on some shooters.3rd party comapnies like trayark(dont think i spelt that right)capcom square enix all like the x box 360 over the wii because it offers more graphical quality and better online capabilitie and the x box was made for third part companies unlike the wii.now im not bashing nintendo i mean im a nintendo fan freak ha ha but nintenedo is still working with 3rd partiers. i mean look at the 3ds thats a good example of nintendo trieng to get 3rd party companies to put better quality games on there system which is excellent! saying that im not just buying it over like ps3 or pc to play with friends im buying it for the 3rd party quality.

however i like your reasons on the hardware can you expand on it a little more?

EDIT:p.s thanks for all the good info so far im going to browse the internet a litte

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
Free != Better
New Xbox Slims do not have the RoD problem, and don't overheat. My roommates and I have like 3 X360s (the old ones), and we forget to turn them off for hours at a time, and they still truck along like champs. It's all about ventilation. New Slims don't have that problem though, so...
And the xbox does have exclusives... What you talking about?

Servers owned by companies themselves work in a similar fashion. Because they are free (PS3, PC etc) the company can do whatever the hell they want with them. The only difference is with PC since users themselves can supply servers. Microsoft, offering a paid service, can maintain it's servers. That IS what you pay for. Also, it's like $60 a year, which is $5 a month... =/

Non sequitur. Also contradictory to other parts of your post.

Best part of your post. I agree for the most part.

@OP: Do some research. Check what the Xbox offers in comparison to the PS3/PC and figure out how much you're willing to spend and the price of each SKU. You can't go wrong if you buy a PS3 or X360 since both have more or less the exact same games. Exclusives differ, so check out the exclusives they have, and which appeal to you.
If money is not an issue, and you don't care much about exclusives, then get the Xbox 360 since all your friends have it.

That's all I gotta say.

wow.. thats all i got to say, first off i know my around xbox 360 consoles, and what you are talking about is the original white arcade 360s, yes they had the RROD but microsoft fixed that with the elite, Doesn't the ps3 still have the YLOD? talk about hardware malfunction, trust me you get what you pay for with the newer 360s. just to combat your opinion, xbox live is not crap, when you pay the $60 a year your getting what you pay for, for that you get to play online, chat with friends, join parties etc. now onto $60 for the next half the game, where are you getting this from? Add ons are usually 800 to 1600 points which is $20 at the most. depending on how many add ons there are you could spend that most. Add ons are called that for a reason, you're still getting the full game when you buy it, add ons are meant to add on to the game, you know like map packs for online multiplayer and added story to the game. and about the part where you said you felt forced to buy it because most people have school. That my friend is a form of peer pressure, it was your choice to get the 360 but you felt pressured to get it, you didn't have to get it. sorry i jumped around a bit, but it makes me angry to see someone base their argument on outdated facts.

That's all I gotta say.

100% agree.

@OP, just get a PS3. It's cheaper in the long run, and you can get most of those games listed above for it. Plus you get blu ray, free online, God of War games, Little big planet games, no RROD, etc.

As said twice or more already, the RROD has been fixed a long time ago, get your facts straight.

As for this question. Well it depends on your preference, if you like online chatting and have a lot of friends that have a 360, it'd be good to get the 360, it has a way better online experience than the other consoles. But if not then it'd be best to get a PS3, cause as far as I know they have almost the same game library, and God of War is pretty cool.

I refuse to believe anything made by Microsoft has been fixed. They probably just added more time to the "self-destruct timer". LMAO.

@OP, if you want to give money to a company that purposely leaves holes open in their software, make it easy to f*** it up, slow down your hardware then fine. My computer teacher told me all about M$ tricks. Specially with their OS, Windows. They make it so it gets slower by time so you think "My computer is really slow, time to buy a new one" and give them more money. Stuff like this is why I refuse to believe anything by M$ is "fixed".

Anyway, this will be my last post in this thread. I don't want to get into an argument with Mr. Troll again.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I refuse to believe anything made by Microsoft has been fixed. They probably just added more time to the "self-destruct timer". LMAO.

@OP, if you want to give money to a company that purposely leaves holes open in their software, make it easy to f*** it up, slow down your hardware then fine. My computer teacher told me all about M$ tricks. Specially with their OS, Windows. They make it so it gets slower by time so you think "My computer is really slow, time to buy a new one" and give them more money. Stuff like this is why I refuse to believe anything by M$ is "fixed".

Anyway, this will be my last post in this thread. I don't want to get into an argument with Mr. Troll again.

Then that's you and your teacher is an idiot. I've never had any problems with Microsoft and everything works fine. I always depend on Microsoft's computers and consoles which have never failed me.

Last edited:
well thanks to everyone who posted i have decided to get the 360.(ill make a similar thread soon)

i just want to say i tested all your facts on the internet (dont worry i didnt use wikipedia)
and i came across something interesting in a septemper 2010 article with an interview with micrisoft. i cant remeber where the source came frome but heres a sumary of what they had to say:they said that the 360 has a good few years left on it meaning anywhere from 2 -5 years. now this was in 2010 but this means if i got the 360 soon i would still have it for a good year and a half and i think its definantly worth if not it can only be longer.
also about the blueray thing i looked at that fact as well and micrisoft isnt worried about it since they have enough hardware to back it up so its like its already there lol.
and a couple of you said there hardware wasnt good and it wasnt actually fixed i asked owners who have the updated xbox and they all told me it was fixed.

so in conclusion im getting the 360_all the problems have been fixed_and thank you the most turo and anarchist(i dont think im going to try to spell the rest ha ha.) for providing the updated facts and i want you guys to help me make another decisin if you can when i make that thread it would be greatly appreciated! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom