• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would You Like to See Zelda Be More Popular Than Mario?

Definitely. When I tell my friends that something reminds me of Mario, everyone knows who he is instantly. But whenever I say something like, "This reminds me of Link in so many ways," they're always like, "Who's Link? What kinda name is that?" It saddens me. I HAVE NO ONE TO TALK TO FOR LEGEND OF ZELDA.

That's nearly impossible since Mario sold 432.2 million copies of the game and Zelda "only" 67.93 million.But yeah,it would be nice!

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I love them both. Call him fat or whatever but I love the plumber and his brother! Link is my fav out of them all though when it comes to games. And Mario is a bit older of course. He exists in games already for 30 years now. First as Jumpman but very soon he got his own games. So I guess he will always be more popular than Link. So I'm actually not surprised people know Mario "better" than Link. But of course I hope Link will get way more popular than he is now.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Yes, Zelda should be more popular than Mario, since I think that the Zelda games are of higher quality than Mario games. Along with this, I wish for Link to be the Nintendo mascot instead of Mario. However, I know that this will most likely never happen, since there are several more Mario games out there than Zelda games, and by this point in video gaming history, Mario's worldwide fame has gone way too far that there is no chance that his series would not be more popular than the Zelda series.

However, this does not upset me, since I love Mario games as well, and I think they should be properly credited. Even though I believe Zelda should be more popular than Mario, Mario being more popular than Zelda does not upset me and will not upset me if it is kept like this forever.

The Legend of Zelda is already a very popular game. However, you need to think of the people that like Mario - little kids and children, mindless gamers all love Mario, so if Zelda became more popular it would mean the game itself might be less complex and plat former-like (Mario is for casuals), which is something I do not want to see. I want to see the games get more difficult and the stories have already gotten more dark and complex.
I'm not bashing Mario though! We all love Mario, though the recent Mario games (since sunshine) are really boring me...

Linkwolf

Worship the Strangeness
YES because I feel much more work and detail is put into Zelda than Mario. And it's not as cheesy.

As far as sales go, Zelda is more popular, and i'm almost positive more people play it.
However, Nintendo thinks that Mario appeals to more people, and is more well known by people who don't play it,
therefore they believe they will make more sales off mario product.

HOWEVER, if there is anything Zelda in a store, i will buy it in a hearbeat.
Mario? Not so much.
There definitely needs to be more Zelda merchandise, and in culb nintendo prizes, too!

That would be cool to see more Zelda merchandise in stores like hats or even a hoodie where the hood part is like Link's hat and on the front is has a belt or something. Personally I think Mario is the better mascot but Zelda is right up there next to him.

MiniMouseofPyru

The Notorious M.O.P.
Yes, I would. Mario is a great game, but the storyline is too simple. Zelda games are much more in depth making them much better games. Maybe Zelda isn't as classical as Mario, but still...

I love them both. Personally, especially for Mario 3D land, I think Zelda has way more work put into them, including stories as well as gameplay and such. Mario 3D land was just boring, yeah the levels weer sometimes fun, but other than that, I didn't enjoy it. But other Marios, such as paper and galaxy, were just so fun and well thought out. I would like to see Zelda be AS popular, but not necessarily more so. Mario is a great franchise by itself, and it does deserve some credit;)

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I actually don't want Zelda to be more popular than Mario. My reason for this is that if Zelda becomes even more popular, Nintendo would be trying to appeal to everyone who would likely play it which means that it would take away a lot from us hardcore zeldafans. They would make the games more simple and it will be like Cataclysm (WoW). Cataclysm made the whole game more accessible to the casual players, made things easier so that they could do what they wasn't able to do before because of different things like raids being a lot harder, easy to get epics etc.
If Zelda becomes too popular, the same thing will likely happen to it, because now blizzard keeps making the game easier since there are more casual players than hardcore players and i really don't want that to happen to the best game series of all time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom