• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would You Like to See Another Cel-shaded Zelda?

ZeldaMaster

Lightning Farron
Recently I've been thinking about The Wind Waker days and have been thinking about how great it would be see another cell-shaded Zelda game. So know I just want to know would you all like to see another Cell-shaded Zelda game?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I would absolutely love to. The cel-shaded style of Wind Waker is one of my favorite graphic styles in the entire series, next to Skyward Sword's graphic style. However, I think that with the WW, PH, and ST trilogy, we've seen enough of that style for now. I say give it a break for a little while. However, I definitely want it to return sometime.

Not really. If Nintendo does decide to continue to make cell-shaded Zelda games, they will probably be on handhelds like PH and ST were. (However, with the graphic capability of the 3DS, I highly doubt that they will make another cell-shaded game any time soon.)

Nintendo should give the cel-shading a rest.

Wind Waker was fine because it had a very unique art style with Chibi-style characters and the world worked really well bordering on genius that they decided to cel-shade a game that spent most of its time on the ocean. It afforded the game a uniquness that no other game had had before.
But then came Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks, terrible renditions and emulations of a style that the console itself couldnt hold. And then both the Minish Cap and even A Link to the Past eventually came to be seen as cel-shade-esque and now that style, depending on who you are, could be considered to make up the bulk of the franchise style. Then came SS, a game that didn't need to be cel-shaded and really shouldn't have been if it wanted to sell more copies and tell people that the Wii was not as weak as people thought it was, but alas.

Especially on the eve of Nintendo's first HD console, a Cel-shaded game would be a very bad move, not only is the cel-shade style considered 'kiddy' by the non-loyal nintendo public but it'd also make people think that this console again is not even as powerful as the 360.. Nintendo need traditional/realistic graphics, Assassin's Creed style 'normal' graphics just to tell people that nintendo have a powerful console and that 'its like that game on the n64 that was quite good' meaning OoT, the general public is fickle, and Nintnedo need to address that issue, most people are only going to buy a wiiU console for Zelda anyway, and then again those are only the loyal fans, it'd help nintendo to show off with Zelda, give the cel-shade, which has almost become the trademark of zelda, and wow everyone in every respect, visuals included.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Cel-shading should definitely return in the future but it shouldn't be any time soon. We've only seen true Cel-shading once with The Wind Waker, yeah, but we've seen an onslaught of the Toon style lately, and, while it's been nice, it's time it got a rest. Let some other styles come in for a while. No matter how beautiful an art style can be, it's gonna get old after seeing it over and over again.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Cel shading should return for...a Zelda game on the 4DS. Why? Because it has been overused, just see Spirit's post. I much prefer TP realism, or the OoT(3D) fantasy feel.

Arkatox

Travelling Outcast
I'm very interested to see where the story would go after Spirit Tracks. Or perhaps there could be a game that takes place between Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Ah, the possibilities!

I believe Nintendo should lay cel-shading to rest for a bit. That graphical style primarily focuses on creating a strong first impression rather than diving into details, an antithesis to what Nintendo is endeavoring to accomplish with the Wii U. Moreover, the style has shown little progression since its inception in The Wind Waker. The DS games featured a Link with more stoic expressions than his Gaemcube counterpart.

If Nintendo is to reuse an art style they need to do so wisely. In a recent thread I proposed utilizing Skyward Sword's art style in a darker Zelda game. The vibe emitted from the Sealed Grounds at the end of the game was radically different from the segments which had proceeded it. For once a sense of terror permeated the game as Skyloft and Hyrule were on the verge of destruction. This was emphasized through Ghirahim's demonic ritual through which Zelda's (Hylia's) sole was swallowed by the Imprisoned so as to be resurrected in its final form, Demise.

For the time being, however, I'd prefer if both the forthcoming 3DS and Wii U installments were modeled off Ocarina of Time 3D and Twilight Princess. The narrative has always boasted more sentimental value when a more realistic approach was taken. The NPCs appeared to partake in their fate rather than be ignorant of it.

I think we've had enough of the Cel-shaded art style for now. I would like the next Zelda have a new art style or reuse an art style similar to Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess. Because of the way things are going, I think Zelda Wii U will have a similar style to Twilight Princess, but I could be wrong.

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
I loved WindWaker, but personaly i would like to see a newer OoT 3d ish style, i woudnt mind a cell shaded game, i still like that style, but i'd rather see a more realistic style.

I feel The Wind Waker actually relied on the toon-shading for its gameplay, in a way. Like, the wind was such a huge concept to the game, and changing its direction is insanely important for the sailing. If the graphics had been realistic, the wind would not be visible. Thanks to the art style, you could see the wind as little streaks of white. Made a huge difference.

Now, I would totally be behind another toon-shaded game, but only if it actually benefits the game like it did for The Wind Waker. I loved how soft the edges, how vivid the colors, and how separate the values were in such a style. While Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks attempted to hold up that legacy, the edges were insanely sharp, and there several more values seen--look at how many different shades there were on the characters compared to the way they were in The Wind Waker. If The Wind Waker was, say, 85% cel-shaded (give or take, since some surfaces like the ground was not quite such), then its sequels were only 60% cel-shaded.

If we were to get another game with legitimate toon-shading, my artistic mind might be satisfied, because I like knowing that Nintendo is exploring that aspect of the games. So, sure, I'll take another cel-shaded game. But, then I would also like to see another sprited game. And another realistic game. And any other art/graphic style that they have used or have yet to use. Experiments!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom