• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will The Wii U Be As Successful As The Wii?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I have high doubts about the Wii U outselling the competition like its predecessor did with flying colors. For one, the Wii U is a Gen VIII console, meaning, it is trying to compete with competitors. This means that the PS4 and Next Xbox will outclass it as far as sheer power goes.

Why does this mean anything? The Wii was substantially less powerful than its competition and it still sold oodles more.

The next problem I have is that the Wii U has some of the 3rd party support that the PS3 and 360 had, and the majority slew of games released on PS3/360 were lacklustre, or decent at best. This could plague the Wii U just as much as it did the PS3/360 and ultimately put the competition ahead.

You act as if Nintendo won't release plenty of stellar 1st party titles like they did with the Wii.

One other thing is that the Wii U, being established as at least above PS3/360 par, lacks any form of media device. We cannot play DVDs, CDs, Blu Rays...anything at all. Surely the PS4 will take after the PS3 and become a world class multimedia device. The 360 had some multimedia capabilities, why wouldn't the nextbox take advantage of this as well? Ultimately customers may decide that they're getting more bang for their buck with the competition.

Actually, the Wii U has a little thing called Nintendo TVii.

[video=youtube;8aHFVgxQhU4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aHFVgxQhU4&feature=g-user-u[/video]

Needless to say, I think your fears are unfounded.

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
I definitely think it'll be as/more successful in terms of sales as the Wii, but I'm more concerned for how it'll do in terms of games compared to it, cause Wii is my personal least favorite Nintendo console by far.

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
Hmm... Tough question and like many gave stated, we are all sure it's going to be a success. What it needs, stronger launch titles than what it has. That was a major problem of the 3DS. Wii had a lot of good things for it for when it came out. If wii u could have more excellent launchers, and gets some big games frequently, I think it has the potential to be as successful as the wii

Making those type of games sure in the Hell isn't easy, it takes a lot of work and time, it's why when consoles are released, you don't see too many great games until maybe half way through.

One thing is for certain, they better do a helluva better this time with their games then they did with the Wii, its no wonder the Wii has been so looked down upon, it's like developers gave up on the system, or rather, the system itself was just too damn limited.

Fig

The Altruist
I'm believe the Wii U has a lot of potential in for it. I'm not saying it won't struggle at first, but it will rise as a great game console. The only problem for me with the Wii U is its price. I understand that it is a new design and new features and hardware has been added into the system, but like with the 3DS, not many people were able to buy the system. I can sense that the Wii U won't be able to sell as much as Nintendo wants, but the price is at least $50 more than the price of the 3DS at launch. I really do hope that Nintendo will cut down the price before it is officially released.

It could be good that nintnedo are going first with this Generation, it means they'll have a larger library and a tried and tested console against the ps4 and xbox3. A lot of people will probably buy it because it is the only one that will be available in the new gen race. No doubt that it'll be the weakest of the three again when the other two consoles arrive but i think its pull is the gamepad, its unlike any console before it and unless ps4 and xbox3 shamelessly copy the design then there will be nothing else like the WiiU out there.

Seriously though with the amount of third party support already it can't be as bad as the Wii, i have about 30games for the wii, only 10 or so that i enjoy and already at launch the WiiU has over ten games i want to sink my teeth into. Zelda U also can't be as bad as SS was so that is something to look forward to.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Why does this mean anything? The Wii was substantially less powerful than its competition and it still sold oodles more.
The Wii wasn't competing with the 360 and PS3 in the respect I'm talking about; the Wii was easily more accessible as well as its games, and the quality of the Wii games weren't anything like PS3/360. What I'm saying is, Wii games are more like DS games in that they're more pickup and play titles whereas 360 and PS3 games were more of the PS2 style where you have to dedicate time (and money) towards them. So basically, the Wii while being apart of Gen 7 was also in its own little sector.

You act as if Nintendo won't release plenty of stellar 1st party titles like they did with the Wii.
I guess so.
Actually, the Wii U has a little thing called Nintendo TVii.
Neat.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Nintendo has always been about innovation with their consoles, founding the experience not on gameplay alone, but the performance that the console is also capable of achieving. In this way, the performance contributes to the experience and brings out more than is typical for most games today. Needless to say, the Wii U pulls this off with the promised features that it has in line already. The GamePad's display and the control scheme will allow the player to select from multiple options all at once, able to perform virtually any task. Straightforward gameplay is certainly not out of the question, though, but it is incredible to think of how in-depth this new line of controls are going to be.

While it doesn't seem to have much build-up going for it at the moment (at least from my perspective), the Wii U has a stellar line-up of game that'll be available at launch. This should definitely be a springboard that will amass a lot of sales long before Microsoft or Sony's upcoming platforms are distributed to the shelves. Many fans dedicated to these series and expectant of their erstwhile releases—Assassin's Creed 3 and Bayonetta 2, to name a couple—will rush to them up, along with the Wii U.

Of course it will have to contend with the current and already distinguished Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 platforms, as well. But the Wii U features scores of components in areas where, as far as I know, their competitors are lacking. There's this system where the player can get on a chat center to ask for help, while countless other people are watching the feed so that they can quickly be of assistance (pretty sure it works like that). Another feature is the widespread community known as Miiverse, where people around the globe can gather to take on players from one country to a different nation—just like Mario Kart Wii's or Brawl's online systems, but on a much grander scale.

Altogether, the Wii U has exhibited exceptional promise and potential for this generation in gaming. All of its exponents combined make it more distinctive than its predecessor; but those aren't what will ultimately make it successful. They are only a part of it. If success is measured in terms of the number of sales, at launch or in later years, and the Wii U reaches a higher sum, then that means it will clearly be recognized as the superior platform. Alternatively, it might even fall short by a certain amount, but it can still be a great home console. As a whole, time will tell.

MonkeyFightSquad

*LAUGHS EVILLY*
I think the Wiiu will have a chance this generation. just think of all the third party games and hard core games(No more horrible mini game collections!!). And they are taking a somewhat more classic approach, but still has that innovation. I love all the new features it will have. I think the Wiiu will be a great success. I think t has a chance to be top console. Well until Sony and Microsoft announces more on their new systems. ;)

Well, considering the fact that the Wii U is selling like hotcakes in terms of pre-orders, I think it'll be just about as successful as the Wii. Also, since the competing companies are bragging about how their next-gen consoles will be uber powerhouses, it's likely that they will be considerably more expensive than the Wii U, which manages to squeeze out amazing power for a low price, meaning that the Wii U will most likely outsell them.

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
I'm pretty sure it will be as successful as the Wii. Of course, it will have some new features that the old Wii didn't have. With the new feature of taking the game from the TV to go would be a gamer's dream.:P

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I think it will be very succesful. Especially with all the new features included and the many options. And they have advertized for it a lot. So it should be more succesful. Or at least that's what I guess

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I see a lot of potential in the Wii U due to the added features and capabilitites. I believe that it will be successful.

Majoras_Wrath

Home Grown Hero!
The Wii U is looking to be somewhat revolutionary. Some console gamers are switching to pc just because they can find most of what they want on there. The same could be said of the Wii U, in that people are trying to find new ways to play. Nintendo is aiming at making this console more social through the Miiverse. We have yet to see how this truly will work but from what I know it sounds like a great concept. It may not have a multi-media disc drive but they figure that most people have something to watch dvd's and blu ray's on. A really good selling point is that the system uses the same controls and peripherals as its predecessor which makes it easy for existing wii owners to upgrade. All in all, it looks like it will be a success but not as great as the Wii. Wii really brought in a new simple way to play that brought everyone in for simple fun and for a great price when compared to the competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom