• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Wii U version or Switch version

Scribear

Your Best Friend (rupee free)
zeldabotw.JPG

But really. I own a Wii U and have had the version pre-ordered since last year. But now that the Switch has come it makes me debate with myself daily. Should I cancel it for wiiU version and "Switch" (I'd have to buy the Switch...and who knows if I can pre-order or day one guarantee) or just stick it out with the guaranteed Wii U version?
Right now I'm waiting to even see if it is even possible for me secure a Switch...but should I spend the money...I go back and forth. What do you think? Anyone else in this dilemma?

---
If this isn't exactly "Breath of the Wild" related and more general related I apologize and will pay whatever toll to the admin gods.

Last edited:
The way i see it, a console is a one off investment that you'll use a lot over the next 5+ years.

The Wii U wont have any more games, the Switch will. It has a very pretty version of BotW and the potential for another Zelda title, the Wii U wont.

Perhaps just buy BotW for the U, save for a Switch and but it at Christmas with a prettier version of BotW and a Mario game.

I do think consoles are worth the asking price for the amount of use you'll get out of it.

Its entirely up to you but i think a Switch will be a good investment.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Pirate Wii U version using loadiine, buy Switch version later down the road. There won't be a shortage of the game, and I'm going to the midnight release on the 3rd.

Scribear

The way i see it, a console is a one off investment that you'll use a lot over the next 5+ years.

The Wii U wont have any more games, the Switch will. It has a very pretty version of BotW and the potential for another Zelda title, the Wii U wont.

Perhaps just buy BotW for the U, save for a Switch and but it at Christmas with a prettier version of BotW and a Mario game.

I do think consoles are worth the asking price for the amount of use you'll get out of it.

Its entirely up to you but i think a Switch will be a good investment.
Yeah. The idea of the investment that it is is what keeps me coming back to the idea of getting it. But yeah...saving might be a smart idea for now. Haha. See I keep going back and forth.

Pirate Wii U version using loadiine
Not much of a Pirate. Sorry.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I sold my Wii Poo and I won't be buying another to play an inferior version of Zelda. No. I shall be getting BoTW on the Switch.

Scribear

If you already own a Wii U, then buy the Wii U version. Slight graphical differences aside, it's not worth investing in a second system just to play a game available for another.

This is more of the confidence that I have.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I'm getting it on Wii U. Besides the fact that I won't be getting a Switch for the foreseeable future, I already own the Wii U. There's no point in getting the console for one game. Granted, as Spirit said, there will be more games, and eventually the console will be worth it (maybe), but if you already own the Wii U and have the game preordered, you're not doing yourself any favors by canceling that preorder, and hoping against hope that you get a Switch AND the game.

Scribear

I'm getting it on Wii U. Besides the fact that I won't be getting a Switch for the foreseeable future, I already own the Wii U. There's no point in getting the console for one game. Granted, as Spirit said, there will be more games, and eventually the console will be worth it (maybe), but if you already own the Wii U and have the game preordered, you're not doing yourself any favors by canceling that preorder, and hoping against hope that you get a Switch AND the game.
I think this will be what I go with. I think I needed someone other than myself to tell me so...the Switch kept looking so enticing but realistically this is probably best. Thanks.

My bank account will thank me.

Hope no one else is having this debate.

If I'm honest ive gone back and forth on cancelling my Switch preorder a few times. I have it all paid off including BotW and pro controller...

But after the WiiU and its failure I'm worried that in 2 years the Switch will have choked to death on slow sales and in three years we'll only be seeing two first party releases 9 months apart and in 4 years we'll be looking at the console to replace the Switch and a better performing Zelda game that should have been Switch exclusive...

But i've got to keep the faith. The launch lineup may as well just be Zelda on its own, but there seems to be a lot of positive press after the Superbowl so maybe it'll have a strong start and sell more in 9 months than the WiiU did in 4 years.

I'm getting the Switch (and BoTW for it) because I started saving months ago. I'm mostly getting it for the better graphics and speed.

Assuming you'll get a Switch at some point, and will get BotW for it when you do, you're looking at a financial risk either way.
Getting the Wii U version now will mean that you can wait for the price of the Switch to come down a bit, but you will also have to buy the same game twice... you could trade the Wii U version in towards the Switch version, but you'd still be looking at a higher cost overall.
So you'd be weighing up the added price of buying both versions against the potential for the price to go down by the time you get a Switch.

Personally, I wouldn't take that risk, as I doubt the price will come down much any time in the foreseeable future.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Assuming you'll get a Switch at some point, and will get BotW for it when you do, you're looking at a financial risk either way.
Getting the Wii U version now will mean that you can wait for the price of the Switch to come down a bit, but you will also have to buy the same game twice... you could trade the Wii U version in towards the Switch version, but you'd still be looking at a higher cost overall.
So you'd be weighing up the added price of buying both versions against the potential for the price to go down by the time you get a Switch.

Personally, I wouldn't take that risk, as I doubt the price will come down much any time in the foreseeable future.

You could also buy the Wii U version and not buy the Switch version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom