• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Why Was Almost Everybody Dissapointed in Twilight Princess?

S

Scotts897

For me, Twilight Princess was only good enough to play through once. There is no incentive to do it again. And the first half of the game as someone else said, seems to mimic Ocarina of Time. I only started Skyward Sword but I just did a Forest Temple on that game and now I am heading to a fiery mountain? That game started out epic but then appears to regurgitating the same formula. I'll have to wait to pass judgment on that one though.

But my problem with the 3d Zelda games is how they are increasingly LINEAR. Zelda was originally designed to be a nonlinear game while Mario was designed to be linear. Yet the 3d Mario games of today are less linear than the Zelda games of today! In the original games, you had a world that needed to be explored that was full of hidden items and dungeons that needed to be conquered. The difficulty was the dungeons but a good explorer and someone who knew how to manage their items could easily handle the original and A Link to the Past. That was a genius formula that Nintendo has abandoned and caved into the masses by making these 3d Zelda games that people automatically give 10 stars to, not knowing old school fans of the original are alienated by these designs. Twilight Princess had a good story and it is what drove me through that game. But the game play isn't anything like the originals.

I know the change to 3d has changed the series, but we have seen that the New Super Mario Bros sold WAY MORE than both the Mario Galaxies combined. Maybe we need a new Zelda in the original format. Perhaps throw in cooperative game play and play through a non-linear game.

MW7

For me, Twilight Princess was only good enough to play through once. There is no incentive to do it again. And the first half of the game as someone else said, seems to mimic Ocarina of Time. I only started Skyward Sword but I just did a Forest Temple on that game and now I am heading to a fiery mountain? That game started out epic but then appears to regurgitating the same formula. I'll have to wait to pass judgment on that one though.

But my problem with the 3d Zelda games is how they are increasingly LINEAR. Zelda was originally designed to be a nonlinear game while Mario was designed to be linear. Yet the 3d Mario games of today are less linear than the Zelda games of today! In the original games, you had a world that needed to be explored that was full of hidden items and dungeons that needed to be conquered. The difficulty was the dungeons but a good explorer and someone who knew how to manage their items could easily handle the original and A Link to the Past. That was a genius formula that Nintendo has abandoned and caved into the masses by making these 3d Zelda games that people automatically give 10 stars to, not knowing old school fans of the original are alienated by these designs. Twilight Princess had a good story and it is what drove me through that game. But the game play isn't anything like the originals.

I know the change to 3d has changed the series, but we have seen that the New Super Mario Bros sold WAY MORE than both the Mario Galaxies combined. Maybe we need a new Zelda in the original format. Perhaps throw in cooperative game play and play through a non-linear game.

You sound exactly like me. Here's something I said a few weeks ago:

"Maybe Nintendo could make a retro style Zelda game with little to no emphasis on story kind of like how they released New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns. There's definitely an audience for games like those with NSMB Wii selling over 24 million copies and DKCR selling over 5 million (http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/game/...ario-bros-wii/ and http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/game/...untry-returns/). I think I remember JuicieJ mentioned something a while ago (after I kept pestering him) about how he wouldn't mind the 3ds Zelda to be more in the style of OOT or ALTTP (I'm not sure exactly what he said though). I think that would be a terrific idea because the handhelds have less capacity for telling a story anyway. If they just throw in the towel from the start, they could focus entirely on gameplay for future releases on the 3ds and beyond. Obviously then they would keep expanding the story for console releases."

A lot of people on these forums really love the story in Zelda games and use that as a rationale for more linear games, but Nintendo isn't that good at telling a story anyway. I'd much rather them go back to a level of storytelling like in ALTTP in which you can get lots of information up front if you want, but you don't have to (meaning how the story is actually on the start-up screen and the actual game lets you play in like 2 seconds). I'm totally with everything you said, and a lot of people on these forums don't understand why a nonlinear style is so much better for Zelda games. Also the biggest thing for me is how unneccesarily linear the games are. For instance in Twilight Princess you have to collect four mirror shards, but why the heck do you have to get them in a certain order? For instance the Snowpeak Ruins didn't tie into the plot at all- there's no reason it had to be specifically the fifth dungeon. In LOZ you can collect the Triforce pieces in different orders, in ALTTP you can collect the crystals in different orders, and in OOT you can collect the medallions in different orders (this game has less freedom than the others though). Just so you know Skyward Sword does the exact same thing that Twilight Princess does- collect this many of this thing but it has to be in a certain order. It's like Nintendo is going out of their way to take replay value out of the games.

Here are some posts I made complaining about how linear the modern games are: http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showthread.php?27270-Did-Requiring-the-Fireshield-Earrings-Bother-Anyone-Else-A-Nonlinearity-Rant-Inside and http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showthread.php?28366-TP-and-SS-Are-a-Kick-in-the-Groin-to-Anyone-Who-Likes-Nonlinear-Progression. Just a warning that these were really long posts.

Last edited:

Myriadviper42

Fulcrum Agent
Twilight Princess was good and cool to behold, but it didn't really captivate me like Skyward Sword or Ocarina of Time. The art style was good, but it got very depressing and did not really make the game 'fun' for me. The story was awesome, but I much prefer the Zelda Demo Wii U or Skyward Sword's graphics better, much more vibrant colors. TP also could have done a bit more on the Wii version, which didn't really use the Wii's motion controls to its full potential. It was pretty cool to witness TP though.

fused_shadows

Brave Knight of Truth
All I can add to this topic is this: everyday when I wake up and feel like playing an awesome video game, not particularily a zelda game, the first game that always comes to my head is Twilight Princess. I loved everything about that game, the art style is wonderful, the controls are fantastic, the vast overworld basically means who could just run around until Epona fainted, the awesome dungeon designs, the challenging Cave of Ordeals, etc. It is easily my favourite video game of all time.

Also, Twilight Princess had the best in between dungeon side quests ever. Between each dungeon, there was always a nice little mini-quest that you had too do, which I absolutely loved.In games like A Link to the Past it was basically go to dungeon A and then dungeon B, and dungeon C, like there was nothing to do between dungeons, and i hated that.

The story of Twilight Princess has got to be the best story in any Zelda game. You got a young farmboy, who works at a ranch for a living. He is relaxed and loves his environment. He plays and helps the kids of Ordon, and is like the local hero. He is simply a guy with a horse, whom goes on an adventure to save the people he loves. Even after everybody from Ordon is safe, he realizes that he must help everybody else too. This of course triggers Midna personality change into one that requires her saving everybody, not just her own kingdom. Zelda is the kidnpped princess as usual, whihc is where she shoudl be. All is well, and in the end, Twilight Princess should be considered the best zelda game by FAR.

Twilight Princess was amazing. It was a big step up from WW IMO.
I was pretty disappointed as a long time Zelda fan when WW came out and they decided to use that cel-shading.
Then Twilight Princess came out, and I really love everything about that game.
No matter what others say, it was still a great game IMO.

Twilight Princess was amazing. It was a big step up from WW IMO.
I was pretty disappointed as a long time Zelda fan when WW came out and they decided to use that cel-shading.
Then Twilight Princess came out, and I really love everything about that game.
No matter what others say, it was still a great game IMO.

I agree with everything you said...

Twilight Princess is my all-time favourite game for many reasons.
I loved the graphics style for one, I'm personally more of a realistic graphics person I guess?... I loved the largeness of the world of Hyrule, it gives it more of a feel of you're actually there, not only that but it also makes it a much more larger world to explore...

The only things that are a disappointment to me is the lack of sidequests... Seeing how the only real things I suppose you can consider a "sidequest" are infact a requirement to proceed in the game...

Last edited:

Linkwolf

Worship the Strangeness
Some people thought it was too hard because they dont have what it takes.

I love ALL Zelda games. Last night when I tried ordering my Zelda games, Twilight Princess was on the bottom of the list. Some of the reasons why I had it on the bottom were because it seemed almost like a forced linear route throughout the game. Another reason, was the wolf parts at the beginning were boring just because there was no option, at first, to switch back to ordonian form. I also wish that there was more involvement with the Spinner. I loved the uses for it, but it seemed like that item/weapon was practically used for only the dungeon that it was acquired. Don't get me wrong I still love that game.

I never caught on to Twilight princess. Yeah, the graphics were good, but you couldn't even see them because they made it so physically dark. Plus there were close to no sidequests. The music wasn't as good as the others and it just didn't turn out to be as good as Nintendo advertised.

TheWakerofWinds

Beat Minish Cap *___*
I liked twilight princess.
I'm not the best at Zelda games, I admit. So I didn't have a problem with the seemingly 'easy' dungeons :$ I actually found them kind of hard. Like the freaking WATER TEMPLE. Urgh. Stupid water levels...
I thought Midna was... she was okay. I didnt have an issue with her, but her character was... eh. Super disappointed that Midna basically replaces Zelda tho. I was not amused Nintendo, I was not amused.
The controls were nice. Yes, I liked waggling the Wiimote to kill monsters. When I was fighting Ganon, I was actually up, frantically shaking the wiimote and basically jumping off of the walls in panic XD That was a good workout, I can vouch that much :P
Speaking of Ganon... Y U IN DIS GAMMMEEE. Like what. Honestly, I liked Zant as a villain. Sure, he's the other villian archetype; when they're not cold, deadly and powerful, they're spastic, weird, and crazy. But god damn it, I liked Zant. He was just my favourite type of crazy. He was like a child, which I found endearing, for some reason. So when they were like "LOL NO, GANON BE DA FINAL BOSS." midway through the game, I flipped out. At least in SS, they always allude to Demise. Like, so you KNOW that Girihim isn't the final boss, right from the start. But nope, they just pulled Ganon out of their arses, and expected us to go with it. -sigh-
But yeah... other than that, I liked the game. I liked it a lot. :3

i felt that the darkness in the game ( not the dark color's) was them trying to hard to be dark, unlike majoras mask witch is just naturally dark, i still enjoyed the game, also playing it on the wii might have effected it a bit, when i pla it at my friends house on the gamecube i find its a better experience.

though i do enjoy the old non linear games a lot, i know i enjoyed a link to the past more the TP or even SS just because i felt the game play in them wasnt very good (I hate motion controls) i find witht the non linear games there isnt as much of a story to get into as say OoT or MM, but nintendo should stop focusing on graphics and motion controls make a retro game with a remote you dont have to swing, i mean who really enjoys that, that is over the age of 12.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom