• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Why Was Almost Everybody Dissapointed in Twilight Princess?

T

Triforce123

I dosen't make any sense why people would hate TP! I loved that game!

Ghirahim

Demon Lord
I love the game too, but that doesn't mean everyone has to. I did think the last part of the game was too rushed and short. The palace of twilight, for example. It would have been cool to see the entire twilight realm. I do understand though that it was simply one temple, one small part of the realm, but still. They could have done more with the overall story toward the end of the game, kept it really detailed and full like they did at the beginning. Otherwise I love the entire game.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Almost everybody liked the game. You just get the impression people don't from zelda fansites. Allot of people in the zelda fanbase were dissapointed that after all the hype the game did not meet their high expectations. My personal major disappointment in the game was how pathetically easy the final battle was, even though it was truly epic. Allot of people including myself found the game in general to be too easy. All the critics gave it high scores. It got 10/10 from 5 critics, and 5 stars from 3, 30/30 from another. No critic gave the game anything below 95% so the general world was pretty damn pleased with the game.

geek4887

The Unknown
Well, the lack of sidequests and the linearity totally pushed it down, but it's still my favorite Zelda game, in tie with Ocarina of Time.
The game just didn't have enough freedom to it, but it's huge overworld pretty much game me the freedom that I wanted. Also, like mentioned, I was disappointed about the Twilight Realm. I thought that maybe they could've implemented the whole dual world ideas into it, almost identical to that of A Link to the Past. There was really no use of the dual overworld in Twilight Princess, and once you cleared the Twilight, you can't go back to it anymore. It's not like ALttP where you can switch between worlds and discover many secrets depending on where you decided to switch.

That said, Twilight Princess is one of the most stunning Zelda games to date! :D

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
[Trying to compile all of my comments against TP in one post]

It has really, REALLY good concepts behind it, but they just weren't executed well enough.
As I've said before, enemies don't deal enough damage to you. Seriously, look at how hard the Darknut's swing appears to be, then compare the damage dealt to Link. Do they really match up in your opinion? In mine, no they do not. The items have very few uses outside of the dungeon you find them in. Story was horrible in my opinion all because of Midna. Remove her entirely, and you have a good story about a young man who ventures out from his hometown and fights evil. Gameplay was too easy; hidden skills broke the game and enemies don't deal nearly enough damage to you. Wolf Link is entirely optional for the most part and is, moreorless, useless in use. Puzzles weren't challenging enough for my somewhat (in)capable Zelda player mind. Minigames were pretty much nonexistent in that they were so obscure that no one cared to find them and even if they DID care, the rewards you get are so abysmally useless that again, no one cares for them. The minigames in my opinion weren't even that fun, barring Cave of Ordeals.

The game was TOO easy because of the dungeons and their linear layout, enemies don't deal anywhere near "enough" damage to even warrant a POTION; the AI wasn't nearly as "smart" as it was described back then. Yes, it can detect Link at longer ranges (that was hardly implemented at all.), but the enemies don't block your attacks, they rarely if ever dodge them, and lastly they have so little variation that all is required is "use gimmick item and then hack and slash your way through". And don't get me started on the bosses.
---
That is comparing TP to other Zelda games, not other general games. The reviewers rated TP so high because the graphics were new for Zelda (and extremely good I must say), the sound was more than amazing, and the gimmicks (wolf-form, almost ALL of the items, etc) felt like they were part of the adventure (first time through, anyway), not actual gimmicks. That's all I can think of from a first-time playthrough, but I still say that the graphics and sound ARE great.

Midna killed the story for me; she was a sniveling little ***** who wanted nothing but her kingdom back. And even after her supposed personality change, she was STILL ordering Link around albeit in a somewhat more subtle fashion. Zelda wasn't the main focus of this game, which is ever so slightly stupid to me as in all respects, Link had more to do with Hyrule than he ever did the Twilight Realm.
I could care less about the complexity of a story, it just needs to be executed in a form that seems at least presentable. Not enough of the theme I wanted out of TP, I suppose.
No,no,no,no,no. You misunderstand me; I don't hate the hidden skills. In fact, I want them to return in SS! It's just that they break the game as in they're overpowered. Great Spin + Fairy Tears/Gold Chu Jelly will wipe Pig Ganon off the face of Hyrule! Or, just using the Shield Bash and getting a few hits in every time will lead to your success against most enemies!
Midna's stupid energy field attack had a startup time almost comparable to the Ball and Chain. In addition to that, locking on to enemies was a chore if you were trying to wipe out more than just three. And in addition to THAT, Wolf Link for some reason or another couldn't jump from one spot to another if it was a couple inches from his body length. Eh, I could rant all i want but that is just my opinion. I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings with those words of harshness .-.

One thing I DID love about TP though was that it was a four hit combo rather than 3 as in OoT/MM.

I don't dislike TP, but it could have been done a lot better in my opinion. For me, it was the following that detracted from it for me:

-tedious tears of light gathering
-bland dungeons after Arbiter's Grounds (except for City in the Sky)
-too easy
-large, yet somewhat sparse overworld
-Ganondorf was poorly used, in my opinion
-items with little use after their dungeon (especially the Dominion Rod)

Other than that, I liked TP. I've never played a Zelda game I didn't like. (though I haven't played FS, FSA, or any of the CD-I games)

The only things that I didn't like about TP was the group of kids from your hometown. I just think that the whole game would have been much better if the story didn't focus on those kids so much.

geek4887

The Unknown
[Trying to compile all of my comments against TP in one post]

It has really, REALLY good concepts behind it, but they just weren't executed well enough.
As I've said before, enemies don't deal enough damage to you. Seriously, look at how hard the Darknut's swing appears to be, then compare the damage dealt to Link. Do they really match up in your opinion? In mine, no they do not. The items have very few uses outside of the dungeon you find them in. Story was horrible in my opinion all because of Midna. Remove her entirely, and you have a good story about a young man who ventures out from his hometown and fights evil. Gameplay was too easy; hidden skills broke the game and enemies don't deal nearly enough damage to you. Wolf Link is entirely optional for the most part and is, moreorless, useless in use. Puzzles weren't challenging enough for my somewhat (in)capable Zelda player mind. Minigames were pretty much nonexistent in that they were so obscure that no one cared to find them and even if they DID care, the rewards you get are so abysmally useless that again, no one cares for them. The minigames in my opinion weren't even that fun, barring Cave of Ordeals.

The game was TOO easy because of the dungeons and their linear layout, enemies don't deal anywhere near "enough" damage to even warrant a POTION; the AI wasn't nearly as "smart" as it was described back then. Yes, it can detect Link at longer ranges (that was hardly implemented at all.), but the enemies don't block your attacks, they rarely if ever dodge them, and lastly they have so little variation that all is required is "use gimmick item and then hack and slash your way through". And don't get me started on the bosses.
---
That is comparing TP to other Zelda games, not other general games. The reviewers rated TP so high because the graphics were new for Zelda (and extremely good I must say), the sound was more than amazing, and the gimmicks (wolf-form, almost ALL of the items, etc) felt like they were part of the adventure (first time through, anyway), not actual gimmicks. That's all I can think of from a first-time playthrough, but I still say that the graphics and sound ARE great.

Midna killed the story for me; she was a sniveling little ***** who wanted nothing but her kingdom back. And even after her supposed personality change, she was STILL ordering Link around albeit in a somewhat more subtle fashion. Zelda wasn't the main focus of this game, which is ever so slightly stupid to me as in all respects, Link had more to do with Hyrule than he ever did the Twilight Realm.
I could care less about the complexity of a story, it just needs to be executed in a form that seems at least presentable. Not enough of the theme I wanted out of TP, I suppose.
No,no,no,no,no. You misunderstand me; I don't hate the hidden skills. In fact, I want them to return in SS! It's just that they break the game as in they're overpowered. Great Spin + Fairy Tears/Gold Chu Jelly will wipe Pig Ganon off the face of Hyrule! Or, just using the Shield Bash and getting a few hits in every time will lead to your success against most enemies!
Midna's stupid energy field attack had a startup time almost comparable to the Ball and Chain. In addition to that, locking on to enemies was a chore if you were trying to wipe out more than just three. And in addition to THAT, Wolf Link for some reason or another couldn't jump from one spot to another if it was a couple inches from his body length. Eh, I could rant all i want but that is just my opinion. I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings with those words of harshness .-.

One thing I DID love about TP though was that it was a four hit combo rather than 3 as in OoT/MM.
This was like our whole little argument, eh, Vanitas? I knew it sounded familiar. Sorry but that was pretty random, back on topic. (we just argue ALL the time don't we?)

So Midna stole Zelda's role in this game, big deal. We've met some annoying little pests on our quests as Link, haven't we? At some point they've become bossy(tatl), and at some points the became annoying (Navi) and many times, no one was even there (which totally still works out for many). You can't help for a person to be bossy, they used to be a Princess! It's the typical Princess attitude that we all hate. You don't care for the complexity of a story, well, it's my opinion so let me state what a nice story will do to the Zelda franchise. With Midna involved in this game, the story was quite different from the typical save the Princess who's in trouble. Midna (even though she was a princess) added meat to the bony story of Zelda. If I didn't love Zelda that much, I would probably quit on it for its repetitive and recycled stories, which are just done in different ways for every game. Three games (that I know of) seemed to stray from this: Twilight Princess, Majora's Mask, and Link's Awakening. These games got the whole world involved instead of just Link and [instert fairy name here] trying to save a Princess and defeating a truly evil villain. Twilight Princess had some background characters who were involved, like the Resistance (although they got so little screen time, that factor almost destroyed this game), who actually helped you in the final dungeon. The involvement of Midna brought most of these things. If Midna wasn't there, how were we supposed to venture into the Twilight?

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
As a standalone game, it's still really good, but for Zelda...meh.
Tbh, there were a lot of things I didn't like about the game. The dungeons, enemies, and bosses were all too easy and the game really didn't offer any challenge. For the first, like 2/5 of the game, it feels almost like Ocarina of Time version 2.0 w/ the same dungeon themes, races, etc. Most of the items you get wind up being useless after one dungeon and we'll probably never see those items again in the series b/c of how useless they really are. Zelda and Ganondorf really don't even need to be there imo and the game probably would've been better w/out them. Hyurle field is needlessly large and basically has nothing in it. Honestly, what bothers me the most though, is that the game could be cheesy as all hell, and I think that brought the game down a lot, especially since it was trying to be all epic.

I dosen't make any sense why people would hate TP! I loved that game!

Actually, TP is well loved. Most people loved the game. As Ganonking pointed out, it has received a LOT of praise from critics. But it's not just critics it received praised from. It is highly ranked by fans and newcomers as well, and has received a lot of positive response - look at reviews and comments on Amazon, IGN, GameStop, etc. by tens of thousands of fans. Again, these are from fans, not just critics. TP was VERY successful and a hit.

The thing is, every game is going to have those who don't like it, and the Internet makes it convenient for those to gather together to rip on a game. If someone doesn't like the game, he/she just doesn't like it. People like different things. And you'll see threads of these people gathering together because that's just how it is. There are also threads of people who don't like WW (another great game). In fact, I feel that WW is really underrated because some people just wouldn't give it a chance, which is really sad. I don't think TP is underrated. It's just that those who don't like TP REALLY don't like it, and are pretty vocal about it. People who don't like toon Link or anything what they deemed, incorrectly, "childish," REALLY don't like toon Link. And there are now people who just can't handle SS's art style and again, those who don't like SS's art style REALLY don't like it and just hate it.

But these are all small groups of people. Most people who played TP loved it. Most people who gave WW a chance raved about how fun it was. And most people are fine with SS's art style (as proven by a poll conducted on Zelda Universe even during the initial controversy stage when it was first revealed - in fact, an overwhelming majority were fine with the graphics, and only a small percentage hated it - the results surprised ZU as well). SS was a good example of how it seems like a lot of people didn't like SS graphics, when it wasn't true - it was just that those who don't are going to be vocal, and if they're going to rip it apart, they're going to rip it apart. And since TP is the most recent major Zelda title, it's still going to get a lot of attention, good and bad, at the moment. And if you look at the 2 most recent articles on ZeldaDungeon about two reviewers (one in an article and one on YouTube) who ripped on the game, you'll find an outpour of comments supporting TP in the comments section. In fact, in those two articles I see the comment #'s go up by a lot (one went up to a whooping 320 comments!).

All Zelda games have their flaws. There is no perfect Zelda. And yes, even OoT has flaws (empty overworld in TP? Look at OoT's overworld!). But the pros outweigh the cons. In fact, I don't really notice flaws when playing Zelda games unless there are bugs like Link getting stuck in a wall or bouncing back and forth between 4 Darknuts (ugh, I don't know how that happened). As for difficulty level on TP - it's more because WW, TP, and OoT use the same formula. I played TP first, then WW, then OoT. OoT's dungeons were easier than TP's because I had become so familiar with the Zelda formula (I had played the 2D games as a kid). I agree with OoT's bosses dealing more damage (3-4 hearts sometimes!), but I disagree with OoT's dungeons being harder - the water temple was not that hard, and in fact, it was easier than Lakebed Temple. If I had played OoT first, then it would've been hard, but I played TP and WW first, so by the time I got to OoT, it was pretty predictable at times what needs to be done. This is why I'm glad SS is changing the formula up, and the demo was really good.

TP is my favorite too. It made the biggest impression on me, was the most epic, and made me feel emotions (because of Midna) that I didn't think I'd feel in a Zelda game. I was surprised by how much the Zelda series had evolved since my days playing ALttP as a kid. I love all the Zelda games (CD-i ones don't count!), and SS is looking to be the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Twilight Princess was my favorite Zelda game. It was the first one I ever completed in full, and the first one I played that took place in Hyrule (my first EVER game was Wind Waker, boy have I learned a lot since then xD) Anyways, I loved the graphics. I hate all the resolution talk that people complain about. Really? If you're just playing the game, trying to enjoy a cut scene, or whatever else, the resolution was pretty much unimportant to me. I focused on the real beauty, that it truly had. The water, so real looking, crisp and clean, I felt like I was watching a nature documentary every time I entered an area for the first time and it would give me a view of the whole place (entering Faron Woods, that was something else).
I think the gameplay was phenomenal. Easy controls, easy to use items, it made everything feel that much more real. I feel many boss fights that may have seemed easy, were really more quite strategic and interesting than we'd seen so far in the series.
The story tug at my heart strings. When Midna broke the Mirror at the end of the game, with a TEAR, did no one else feel something? Here's the girl who has helped you throughout your entire journey, that you're just beginning to know and love, leaving forever! I felt such a strong bond between her and Link, I feel it was probably the most real relationship in any Zelda game to date.
All in all, the game probably has more nostalgic value in it for me than most, but it holds a special place in my heart. Unique ideas, fun gameplay, gorgeous art style, and a tug-at-your-heartstrings kinda story. It spells masterpiece to me.

EDIT: I'm talking about the gamecube version here, for the record. I wasn't expecting amazing Wii-Style graphics or motion control, so I take that into account during this short review

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
To answer the question in the thread title: I have no idea. TP was a great game, I guess some people just didn't like some things about it. I'm not one of those people. TP rocks! :)

A

angelin1995

First we have people complaining of Majora's Mask being too hard and then we have people complaining TP is too easy T_T We really are spoiled by Nintendo <3 :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom