• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why is Toon Link So Lazy?

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
I was thinking about this the other day, and was going to make a thread about it but I forgot. I just remembered now though!

So anyway, has anyone ever noticed how incredibly lazy this boy is? In the beginning of every game he is featured in, he's sleeping, in the middle of the day, for no apparent reason. This = lazy.

Discuss.

13foxes

He is indeed lazy. But it's just in the beginning, and latter he had to go through a whole adventure without sleeping. Maybe he sleep first so that he could have more energy? And there's some reasons for his sleepiness. In PH, I don't think he was sleeping, but he was seasick. And in ST, he's sleeping because Niko's story is TOO boring (I myself HATE listening to long and boring stories). So I think we could forgive his laziness. I mean, he's still just a child, like 12-13 years old. And children need to sleep and be lazy and play with other children, etc; but they DON'T have to save a whole country!

Last edited:

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Yes, I agree with both points. Yes, it is very lazy but again he is only small and "needs sleep". (I myself am 12 and don't fall asleep until around midnight and get up at 6:30 AM and I am not tired.)

But also I think it is partly to do with a comedy element. If you think about it, most of the cut scenes from Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks were quite homourous and some of them involved Toon Link sleeping.

Or maybe it was just to show how tired he honestly gets fighting all the time!

Beeker

Wild Card
Never thought about him being lazy, but heroes need sleep too:lol:
I too think it adds sort of a comical element to start each game off. He, after all,never gets sleep,he needs to save the world!:)

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
Well, for starters, he is around 10-12. Not many 10-12 year olds can stay up 24/7 questing across an expansive ocean, fighting bosses that are over five times his size, etc. For a kid who looks like he lacks muscle, he can lift quite a bit (i.e. pigs and to-be sages). He also has the dexterity to fight bosses and onslaughts of enemies with no break period. Plus, let's not forget he fought the King of Evil and a soul-sapping squid.

Then (Which I'm not sure if he is or isn't) his descendant spent nights studying train operation and spending countless hours practicing how to operate the train across the expansive overworld of Hyrule (Well, with all of the tracks dissipating, his practice space started to grow smaller). Plus, on top of that, being lectured about the land his fore-fathers of two generations ago settled on with paper cutouts (Or were they pencil drawings?).

I mean, the Hero of Winds lived a somewhat similar life to the Hero Chosen by the Gods. Both were farm boys (But the Hero of Winds actually had family members: a sister and a grandmother), both were very acquainted to the village people, etc. However, the Hero Chosen by the Gods was more into ranch work while the Hero of Winds did more of just hanging around, observing the Outset Island pigs, and doing small chores. However, the Hero Chosen by the Gods was around 17-19, so he had a more built body that could support longer work. Remember, the Hero of Time also fell asleep while listening to 4 hour lectures. ;)

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
I think all the Links are kinda lazy. In OoT, he wouldn't wake up even when Navi yelled at him. In TP, the kids have to yell at him and tell him it's morning. But yes, he does sleep in WW, at the beginning, and when the KoRL brings him back to Windfall from the Forsaken Fortress. But honestly, wouldn't you be tired after staying up all night infiltrating a monster-filled fortress and being tossed into the sea by a giant bird?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I think all the Links are kinda lazy. In OoT, he wouldn't wake up even when Navi yelled at him. In TP, the kids have to yell at him and tell him it's morning. But yes, he does sleep in WW, at the beginning, and when the KoRL brings him back to Windfall from the Forsaken Fortress. But honestly, wouldn't you be tired after staying up all night infiltrating a monster-filled fortress and being tossed into the sea by a giant bird?
NO I WOULDN'T. Just kidding. I agree with you on the Wind Waker subjects, but in TP, those little kids were just bothering him to no end. So I wouldn't call him lazy for that. Also, in OoT, Link was probably up all night from that nightmare he had.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
I never thought about that before. Well in WW it's not just randomly in the middle of the day, it's in the morning, he was still asleep from the night. In PH and ST..... Both times he's listening to Niko, maybe Niko's really boring? I don't know, but that does make Link VERY lazy.

R

RinkuSan

I think Toon Link is lazy because he is a Toon. In most cartoons (the older ones, at least), the characters are known for taking breaks from time to time. Aryll likes to call for her brother while running, stop to take a breath, and then continue on. I wouldn't say it is any less different than Link's case.

Jesper

I am baaacccckkkk
He's (probably) a teenager. We like to relax, sleep, being lazy and so on. Link is a teenager like other teenagers.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales

In defense of the Hero of Time (OoT's Link), he was shown to be tossing and turning from nightmares the night before, and the Great Deku Tree said something along the lines of "Your sleep has been disturbed for many moons now" - regarding his spiritual sensitivity to the growing darkness.

In *GREAT* defense of Twilight Princess Link - ranch hand work is physically taxing. I know this from *experience.* I work at a barn. Mucking stable stalls is hard work, not to mention lifting and scrubbing heavy water buckets... and right now, my job is only part time so it's not so bad. I've done this kind of thing full-time before. When I did that, I did what I do now, but with things like scrubbing out stock tanks and leading 1,000 lb horses to and from paddocks - sometimes almost getting dragged or trampled by the psychotic ones. Working with goats is different (I've done that too, actually, but that *was* a lazy job watching a petting zoo). Link works at a real farmed-for-milk-and-maybe-for-meat working ranch and deals with a horse. I imagine his work to be a lot like mine and I dare anyone who's never done it to come work for even an hour at what I do and call me "lazy." In other words, don't knock his sleeping in. The boy needs his sleep.

As for the Toon Links... I think it's played for comedy. I also think it's a bit of a throwback/reference to Ocarina of Time, where Young Link was awakened by Navi and Navi was complaining about the fate of the world resting upon such a "lazy boy." The Toon Links are young, and I think their afternoon naps and logging off during lectures are played for cuteness and humor.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Prehaps he secretly goes to the mountain and harvest its special crop to smoke.
Then goes to the lookout to watch some seagulls while he's chillin, and suddenly falls in sleep.

I mean come on, there are two brats on the island and one is constantly with a snotty nose.
And his sister is always stalking him with her telescope.

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
In defense of the Hero of Time (OoT's Link), he was shown to be tossing and turning from nightmares the night before, and the Great Deku Tree said something along the lines of "Your sleep has been disturbed for many moons now" - regarding his spiritual sensitivity to the growing darkness.

In *GREAT* defense of Twilight Princess Link - ranch hand work is physically taxing. I know this from *experience.* I work at a barn. Mucking stable stalls is hard work, not to mention lifting and scrubbing heavy water buckets... and right now, my job is only part time so it's not so bad. I've done this kind of thing full-time before. When I did that, I did what I do now, but with things like scrubbing out stock tanks and leading 1,000 lb horses to and from paddocks - sometimes almost getting dragged or trampled by the psychotic ones. Working with goats is different (I've done that too, actually, but that *was* a lazy job watching a petting zoo). Link works at a real farmed-for-milk-and-maybe-for-meat working ranch and deals with a horse. I imagine his work to be a lot like mine and I dare anyone who's never done it to come work for even an hour at what I do and call me "lazy." In other words, don't knock his sleeping in. The boy needs his sleep.

As for the Toon Links... I think it's played for comedy. I also think it's a bit of a throwback/reference to Ocarina of Time, where Young Link was awakened by Navi and Navi was complaining about the fate of the world resting upon such a "lazy boy." The Toon Links are young, and I think their afternoon naps and logging off during lectures are played for cuteness and humor.

Yeah, I guess I can understand if I had a nightmare and stayed up all night, I would want to sleep in. so I guess the Hero of Time isn't lazy.

However, all the Twilight Princess Link's "ranching" consists of is sitting on a horse and chasing goats into a barn. That wouldn't be tiring at all, unless he does all the rest of the stuff you mentioned "behind the scenes"--which is probable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom