• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Why is Realism Bad?

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
Okay, let me explain that. I'm a really hard-to-understand guy.

I want to see a realistic Zelda game.

If we get another cartoony or bright looking Zelda game, at least make it look like Tangled or Fable Legends.

Maybe that clears stuff up?

Salem

SICK
Okay, let me explain that. I'm a really hard-to-understand guy.

I want to see a realistic Zelda game.

If we get another cartoony or bright looking Zelda game, at least make it look like Tangled or Fable Legends.

Maybe that clears stuff up?
Um, why realistic? realistic like what games? None of the Zelda games looked realistic, even compared to realistic games released on 6th generation consoles.

Agreeing with keeping style parallel to the story/theme of the game aside. Has anyone thought about the complications of Nintendo actually creating a realistically styled Zelda development wise? Even coping with the development time and budget skyrocketing, they would have to create a studio from near scratch to accomplish it visually. They have no realistic art teams or experience of producing that style of game. And I'm not sure how it would feel if they outsourced it heh.

I found TP had an unfinished look, although it's style was slightly more realistic. It had no real lighting art direction for scenes and environments, staying with the same techniques used on previous titles that work with more stylized visuals. The lighting engine itself was still very simplistic producing very ugly shading artifacts on models. They improved the assets but not their approach to other aspects, which is where the consistency broke down for me.

WW on the other hand, has a style that will never age and a strong consistency throughout the game. Even OoT & MM have aged better than TP with their styles, admittedly tho there are ALOT of noticeable UV errors in Oot :D

But graphics aren't everything, I would prefer them to spend time on well crafted actual game play & story instead.

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
Um, why realistic? realistic like what games? None of the Zelda games looked realistic, even compared to realistic games released on 6th generation consoles.

Realistic like either Uncharted or Skyrim (not regular Skyrim, a Skyrim running on a high end PC, having many EMP mods installed on it to make it look beautiful).

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
And plus, think how freakin' awesome a realistic Zelda would look like! I'd literally piss my pants and puke rainbows if we ever got a freakin' realistic Zelda game.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
The closest I want to get to realism would be TP or what we were shown in the E3 trailer. A game with realism like CoD wouldn't fit the Zelda series. I would much rather have detailed than realistic.

Deeds

no text
Realism can be linked with fantasy, as we know - the Wii U is definitely not capable of displaying graphics close enough to real life, to make people upset. I'd be cool with a Twilight Princess art style, with improved textures of course. But, I don't really care about engine improvements, as long as the frame rate is steady. I don't want real life physics, but they could be improved of course.

Zelda's more of a fantasy-styled series, so in my personal opinion, I really don't want to see a more realistic Zelda game. If the upcoming Zelda U game had the same graphical style as TP, but in HD, then it'll be more suiting. I really don't want to see the series have more realism because it just wouldn't look right.

onebizarrekai

gay energy
The non-realism of Zelda is one of the main reasons I play it. I'm a lover of fantasy (seriously, realism bores me to no end), so if they made a realistic Zelda game, I would only play it because of the title. And I probably wouldn't like it.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
People play games to escape reality, so too much realism can be a hindrance. Even in realistic games like fps's, if you push the game too far it becomes a chore. (This is why many non-casual gamers hate sports games). Why should I play a virtual version of something when I can go and do it in real life? There's a reason I'm not doing it in real life. Now that's not to say you can't have some or even alot of realism in your game, but there's a limit to everything. Zelda in itself has built a fanbase that loves its kooky and interesting world. A world far away from realism. If we were to get a more realistic Zelda *coughTPalmostdidthatcough* I wouldn't be that upset, but I'm sure plenty of Zelda fans would be because its unfamiliar to what they've become accustomed to. Should Zelda get more real, it needs to work its way up to it. Jumping into something majorly different like realism is like jumping into a freezing pool... yeah you'll get used to it eventually, but that first encounter really hurts. TP was a good starting point, but until we see a deeper version of realism done correctly, something like the Wii-U tech demo, realism is going to be hard to accept.

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
People play games to escape reality, so too much realism can be a hindrance. Even in realistic games like fps's, if you push the game too far it becomes a chore. (This is why many non-casual gamers hate sports games). Why should I play a virtual version of something when I can go and do it in real life? There's a reason I'm not doing it in real life. Now that's not to say you can't have some or even alot of realism in your game, but there's a limit to everything. Zelda in itself has built a fanbase that loves its kooky and interesting world. A world far away from realism. If we were to get a more realistic Zelda *coughTPalmostdidthatcough* I wouldn't be that upset, but I'm sure plenty of Zelda fans would be because its unfamiliar to what they've become accustomed to. Should Zelda get more real, it needs to work its way up to it. Jumping into something majorly different like realism is like jumping into a freezing pool... yeah you'll get used to it eventually, but that first encounter really hurts. TP was a good starting point, but until we see a deeper version of realism done correctly, something like the Wii-U tech demo, realism is going to be hard to accept.

Since Nintendo has milked the crap out of the Toon style and made more bright and colorful games like SS over the past decade, everyone just wants to see this for some reason. I swear some people just hate realism to a point where they wouldn't play a realistic game.

I honestly don't think we should have a highly realistic Zelda game, but something along the lines of the Fable series (like I've mentioned earlier). If we get another bright, cartoony and colorful game it should look like Tangled (again, like I've mentioned before). I just think Nintendo should get rid of the Toon style. It's going nowhere just like motion controls got nowhere this gen.

Salem

SICK
Since Nintendo has milked the crap out of the Toon style and made more bright and colorful games like SS over the past decade, everyone just wants to see this for some reason. I swear some people just hate realism to a point where they wouldn't play a realistic game.
I always thought it's the other way around, a lot pf people play only realistic games but not "cartoony" or stylised ones
I honestly don't think we should have a highly realistic Zelda game, but something along the lines of the Fable series (like I've mentioned earlier). If we get another bright, cartoony and colorful game it should look like Tangled (again, like I've mentioned before). I just think Nintendo should get rid of the Toon style. It's going nowhere just like motion controls got nowhere this gen.
So you DON'T want a realistic Zelda, then what were we were arguing about again this whole time? :S

Keyshe

Whoo are youu?
Well I personally don't have any problem with 'realism' on it's on, just, I'm tired of it everywhere and over all I find it's less creative and fun then stylization. I also find it more memorable. Realism can look great, and I do like it! However I still like more of an art 'look' over all. I like the art in Zelda and fluctuation of the fun styles, not really looking to see it done in realism.

It's already been establish as is and the change would be dramatic, don't see it being a positive affect over all for the Zelda audience as a whole. There are plenty of other great realism games and I'd rather they stick to that. Also 'realism' graphics quickly gets dated, while stylization lasts. Super Meteoroid still look good today, while Half-Life and Halo are showing their age. Both look great, but realism can also takes a lot longer to craft, while a simpler stylization gets done faster.

I like to think that every game has/must have some basis in reality—think physics, for instance. However, as previously mentioned, videogames are a form of escapism; we play them to escape reality. This means that we play them to do things that we could never do in the real world. No matter how much realism a game contains, it should never go too far with it, or else it becomes a sim. This is why fully-realistic titles are such a rarity. No one franchise is fully 'realistic.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom