• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Phantom Hourglass Why Does No One Ever Talk About Phantom Hourglass?

Yuki Cross

Attack on Titan~!!!
This question has been bothering me for a while - Why is it that Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are never talked about much? And when someone does hold a conversation about them, it's usually a negative one...:( Why is that? I've played both of them, and don't see anything particularly different about them, when comparing them to other Zelda games. It can't be because they're not current (I'm avoiding using the word 'old', since they really aren't that old), because people are still talking about the oracle games, and Wind Waker and stuff (I know it's probably because of HD, but they were talking about WW before even that). Is it something to do with the console it's on (DS), or did Nintendo simply fail to provide good games during that time (in other people's opinions - since I loved both of the games.)?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Well, the games are comparatively small to other Zelda titles, so they naturally won't be in the limelight. However, the controls really put off a lot of people, as did the perspective. Touch controls were irksome for some people. It was 2.5D at best, played like a 2D title, but seemed like it WANTED to be full 3D over the shoulder view.

We only recently began to talk about the Oracles thanks to their re-release on 3DS by the way.

Oh, and another thing. The boat and the train were both atrocious by some peoples' standards. I myself didn't like them one bit. In the case of the boat, it felt like a watered down Wind Waker. The Spirit Train just mauled any semblance of an overworld - and that sucked because New Hyrule was a completely...new place. :I

It would've been fun to travel on foot, in my hones topinion.

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Because I didn't particularly enjoy either of them so they only got a single playthrough. I don't really remember much about either game so I don't feel like I have anything useful to contribute.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I wouldn't use the term "no one" but I guess you could say this game is discussed very little compared to others.

There are a few reasons for this. One; the DS titles are seen as inferior to some, this mostly goes for all handheld titles, a lot of us shouldn't really think this was but we just do. They tend to be smaller games overall and a more compact experience, whereas the home console installments are usually the giant anticipated releases.

Two: the game is see as one of the lesser games in the series, now I'm not speaking for myself, I really liked this game but I see why people think this. The stylus controls were fiddly at times and it just seemed slightly odd, as if we had less precision when controlling Link. Then you have the perspective which I guess could be seen as controversially? People tend to associate top down with the past and even this wasn't full on top down, but it still played like one. However, the main advantage of the top down games, is the challenge and puzzles they bring, Phantom Hourglass lacked in this department in my opinion. Then final bad point about the actual game, would be the overworld. The Realm of the Ocean King, wasn't as expansive and as open as the Great Sea, plus it was rather linear - just split up into four different sections. So I guess a strong argument against could be the lack of exploration.

My final point would be about the game placement itself. Now say what you want about The Wind Waker, it is still a very good game. I feel the idea of the story and the overall tale it presented, was amazing. Now the ending was the perfect way to cap off that epic adventure, you have Link and Tetra sailing off for a new Hyrule. It was like that sense of "did they find it?" etcetera. A bitter sweet ending in a way. Now this game was a direct sequel but yet it wasn't. Now of course it was a sequel but it wasn't a sequel a lot hoped for. There is no "new" Hyrule and the tale ends up to a be an insignificant one, which didn't feature the kind if continuity you would expect. So I would say that this kind of ruined that special ending of The Wind Waker and gave a bad outlook on that entire Timeline.

Phantom Hourglass was a solid, but very forgettable, game. The story was governed by a Freaky Octopus Thing, the dungeons are very "meh", the Temple of the Ocean King is an abomination, and the only piece of music I can think of is Linebeck's theme. On the flipside, it's still a very solid adventure that uses all of the DS' features to good use. (Seriously, putting the DS in sleep mode to solve a puzzle was ridiculously awesome)

Spirit Tracks on the other hand does have its fanbase. The music is fantastic, the dungeons are expertly designed, the partner system in the Tower of Spirits made for some really creative puzzles, and it was generally, a pretty damn good game. The most common complaints involve people and their incompetence with the flute and the train.

A common complaint between both games are the touch screen controls, which weren't ideal for some, but they worked fine for me.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Phantom Hourglass was a solid, but very forgettable, game. The story was governed by a Freaky Octopus Thing, the dungeons are very "meh", the Temple of the Ocean King is an abomination, and the only piece of music I can think of is Linebeck's theme. On the flipside, it's still a very solid adventure that uses all of the DS' features to good use. (Seriously, putting the DS in sleep mode to solve a puzzle was ridiculously awesome)
chicken.jpg

Spirit Tracks on the other hand does have its fanbase. The music is fantastic, the dungeons are expertly designed, the partner system in the Tower of Spirits made for some really creative puzzles, and it was generally, a pretty damn good game. The most common complaints involve people and their incompetence with the flute and the train.
This is true. People love on Spirit Tracks...in the right corners of the Internet. In general, ZeldaDungeon is featuring a huge lull period - that's to say we're pretty inactive in all spheres. However, if you look to ZeldaUniverse or some other Zelda fansite, you'll definitely find ST discussion. :)

Last edited:
you kind of read my mind. im planning on replaying at least PH after the WW remake. i liked it very much, just the control scheme killed my hands. maybe on a bigger ds or 3ds i'll enjoy it more. it was more WW basically, what's not to love? ST was a blast for me. i found myself just riding around on the train

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Well the DS's hardware specs were low enough that the games had to be relatively small and simple. Plus, the Train in ST removed pretty much every aspect of overworld exploration. The only reward was usually some abandoned station that logically had no right to be there with just a bit of treasure.

basically you disliked the story b/c they got sidetracked...

*bites tongue at terrible ST pun*

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
While I enjoyed Phantom Hourglass, its still not entirely exciting to replay.
Stop and remember how I rather disliked the touch pad, and Temple of the Ocean King and having to start at floor one over and over.

It was still a good game, and rather enjoyed it.

Spirit Tracks how ever, was not one I can see myself wanting to replay. I loathed the transportation, its fine enough to make me drive the train, but every animal tries to crash into the train, and random annoying demon trains, really just made me hate getting around.

---------------------

Over all though, both games had the problem of the "blackness" that surrounds every cave and dungeon, that just frankly made them all feel the same and bland, even if they had unique things in them.

Kirito

I will never be a memory.
I personally hated these games because while i found them decent and ok my OLDER brother after i beat the game as,ed me how to do somthing. He got so annoying i literaly destroyed the game. Well more his fault than th games but meh.

Salem

SICK
Some people wouldn't know a good game if it came in their house, robbed them, killed their family, and kicked them in the balls.
That's not what I would call a good game. sounds like a micro-transactaction heavy game.

Compared to other handheld Zelda games, Phantom Hourglass is mundane, boring, and tedious.

The music doesn't stand out, items are standard fare, overworld exploration is limited, and retreading the Temple of the Ocean King is a chore.

Although the experience left me disappointed, online multiplayer was a step in the right direction. I think Nintendo should reference it in the near future in deciding how to better improve connection and interaction among the fanbase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom