• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Do So Many Ppl Think There is a Split Timeline...?

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
Something else occurred to me just now, that means what happens during Majora's Mask couldn't happen whilst Ocarina of time's Link was sleeping for 7 years. The very key point being in the ocarina.

Zelda, in OoT, gave Link the Ocarina to open the Door of Time, thus allowing Ganondorf into the Sacred Ream and to have access to the Triforce.

Zelda, same age, in MM, gave Link the same Ocarina as a keepsake because of the power it holds.

There is only one Ocarina of Time, but to kick off both events, there would need to be two. Since OoT Link gave the ocarina back to Zelda only after the 7 year gap, there isn't a second ocarina kicking about for child Zelda to give freely.

So either way the events would have changed the future, if only by preventing the Door of Time being opened in the first place (thus no other Link could get in, and Ganondorf couldn't reach the Sacred Ream. Thus the adventure Link took as an adult wouldn't be able to take place.

However, it did, because Wind Waker's introduction refers specifically to that Link, and that adventure.

By the way, quick note, your facts list is a little misleading on the last two points. Majora's Mask Link is the same age as child Link, not adult Link, and TP does take place in Hyrule.

F

filipepw

As far as I know, travel to the future (in the real world) is scientifically impossible. It only exists in fiction. Therefore each work of fiction is at liberty to define its own time-travel rules. You can see this in the difference in function of the Ocarina of Time between OoT and MM. In MM, playing the Song of Time rewinds time three days. That's quite different from its function in OoT. It doesn't have to make sense scientifically; it's only there to aid gameplay. On a side note, MM's time-travel mechanic doesn't create copies of Link, so it's possible that the same could be true in OoT.

actually it was forseen first by Albert Einstein, and its not theoreticaly absurd, just practicaly absurd

i didnt start this thread to talk about WW and TP, just about the time split
but for me, the Wind Waker refers to the events of the ocarina of time as so distant that ppl actually forgot about hyrule
so between MM and WW u can fit lots of games like TP ALttP
after WW we got PH ST and possibly Links Awakening, i lost my gameboy cartrige so i havent played it since is was 9... it was my first LoZ game...

anyway i will need to finish all the games and re-play others to argue about a more complete timeline

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
Bear in mind that WW and TP are as much integral to the split as the events in OoT which at the point of creation may not have thought too deeply into where to go next. This is why I've put as much emphasis on them as I have. They're just as important, if not moreso, than what events take place to result in the split in OoT.

Besides that, as I said in that last post the future will still have changed by Majora's Mask, since the ocarina either went to the OoT Link, or the MM Link, if there are two Links, which means either MM couldn't happen, or the Door of Time could not be opened.

As for Wind Waker's intro, there are still some issues:

- The Adult timeline would still have had to happen (which it couldn't if MM happened), since it's talked about.
- The sheer amount of times Ganon made a return, to be countered by a Link of that time, it would have been senseless for the Hero of Time to have been mentioned at all, instead of another hero that may or may not have disappeared at a later point. Bringing up OoT's Link in WW's intro would have been a useless throw-in if it wasn't in some way relevant, which it wouldn't have been if other heroes at any point between OoT and WW had faced Ganon.

Hero of…. #s, I guess
FYI, Stephen Hawking has himself said that time travel to the future is possible but going back and time travel to the past are impossible*runs to avoid getting caught in the thread*

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
FYI, Stephen Hawking has himself said that time travel to the future is possible but going back and time travel to the past are impossible*runs to avoid getting caught in the thread*
herp-a-derp you're right. I got mixed up. =/ light speed, time dilation, etc. etc. leaves the world around you a lot older than you. (and I just read Ender's Game too...)

All that needs to be understood is that when Link leaves the Adult timeline at the end of the game the AT keeps going. Link then changes the course of the Child timeline by stopping Ganon at the beginning while the AT carries on, making the split.

SuperGleeok64

For the Greater Good.
cautionb.jpg

This thread totally deserves this...

Thanks to this thread I finally understand the split timeline. Thanks [Insert people who showed proof of Split Timeline]!

F

filipepw

stephen hawking also got his biggest thoery killed by a dude who created String Theory, that dude also proved his theory wrong
something about the hawking particle

... who cares...

but it seems most of you didnt understand what i said.
doesnt matter
its still a positive discution and i also learned various point about the split timeline that i didnt see before
and that's why i registered on this forum and made this thread

Norisom

Hero of Something...
I'm not even gonna bother backing up my argument because I am tired. Anyway, you are wrong there is a split timeline that is it, by doing what Link did, there is no way he couldn't have made a split timeline.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
Theoretically, you could create a traversable wormhole tunnel. By doing that, you would be able to travel into the future, and people from the future could use the same tunnel to travel back in time (but not to a point in time before the tunnel is created).

But we are getting kinda off-topic here. And I do have to wonder why this thread is still open.

Why do people think that there is a split timeline? Because Aonuma and Miyamoto said so. End of discussion. There's been a link to the interview on page one, and yet people discuss this for four more pages?

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
Here's my take on the split timeline it's two completely different timelines.

On the actual discussion at hand it's real physics don't matter in first place it's a VIDEO GAME.

If you really think there isn't a split timeline lets your liner timeline try to do that.

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
Why do people think that there is a split timeline? Because Aonuma and Miyamoto said so. End of discussion. There's been a link to the interview on page one, and yet people discuss this for four more pages?

Yes, because the guy who started the topic wasn't prepared to just take what Anouma and Miyamato said at face-value if there was nothing in the games to back it up. This is why it went on so long. Because not enough people were prepared to find significant details within the games that promote this idea.

And on that point I agree. Its all well and good having the developers tell you but if the games don't promote it they could say anything and even if there's completely contradictory evidence people will still back it purely for Anouma's word. It doesn't seem to be the right way to approach these kinds of questions, when looking at the games, either way, would have helped much more than shouting the same thing over and over has.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Yes, because the guy who started the topic wasn't prepared to just take what Anouma and Miyamato said at face-value if there was nothing in the games to back it up. This is why it went on so long. Because not enough people were prepared to find significant details within the games that promote this idea.

What gets me is how there are so many people that didn't see it when WW came out. I knew it instantly when the backstory was told at the beginning of the game. Why? Because I knew the ending of Ocarina of Time created a split, as the time Link left behind was still in existence. (Plus, Zelda said that "the door between times will be closed." I don't know about you, but that seems to suggest to me that she knew she was creating a split.I was shocked to learn that there were linearlists when I came here, as it's obviously impossible with the in-game information.)

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
Though when WW came out, there wasn't a second game to bolster this, and the reason for the Hero of Time's disappearance could have been easily explained, or written off, due to other games that had already been in the series by that point (much as it may not make sense when you really think about it, Majora's Mask for instance). Its something that would have been easy enough to miss, to say the least, so by assuming everyone is on the same page and privy to all the information is the wrong way to go about things. Not only is there the possibility that not everyone's played the same games, you also have to consider that someone will have gotten a different point out of in-game happenings than what you read into it, which is where theories like this usually get interesting.

And since when I came to this thread the first time all I could really think off the top of my head that supported the split was the WW intro and the explanation to Ganondorf's presence in TP, I consider this a good thing for me since I was able to find more that would have damned a linear theory. Gets the brain pumping and all that. ;)

EDIT: ... I find it a shame that people don't stop to read what's been said and presented, or even just skim through to see if what they're bringing up has been mentioned already. If anyone really has to wonder how this topic got to 5 pages, they've not watched the same point come up 50 times already. Like below, for instance.

Last edited:
I

Idunnomyname

http://www.thehylia.com/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1173582355&archive=&start_from=&ucat=19&

–When does Twilight Princess take place?

Aonuma: In the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years later.

–And the Wind Waker?

Aonuma: The Wind Waker is parallel. In Ocarina of Time, Link flew seven years in time, he beat Ganon and went back to being a kid, remember? Twilight Princess takes place in the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years after the peace returned to kid Link’s time. In the last scene of Ocarina of Time, kids Link and Zelda have a little talk, and as a consequence of that talk, their relationship with Ganon takes a whole new direction. In the middle of this game [Twilight Princess], there's a scene showing Ganon's execution. It was decided that Ganon be executed because he'd do something outrageous if they left him be. That scene takes place several years after Ocarina of Time. Ganon was sent to another world and now he wants to obtain the power...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom