• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Do Parents Let Kids Play M Games?

Fig

The Altruist
The reason why parents allow them to play M rated games is due to the fact that the majority of the parents don't physically notice the rating and the extra description in the back. Yes, most parents probably do notice the ESRB rating, but they rarely check the back description. If I ever become a father, I would allow my children to play M rated games but only when they are within a certain age to fully understand the games. Sure that may seem unfair, but it the correct thing to do as a parent. Sure, I didn't own an M rated game until a couple of weeks ago for my birthday, but my mom allowed me to still play them because she knew about them and told me I was allowed to play the game because I was mature to understand that it is just a game and that I really shouldn't do these actions that the characters do in these games in the real world. I'm gpad I have a mom who understands the meaning of M rated games, but then again, I rated play E rated games because they are fun for Everyone!

Kids can be manipulative, I should know I convinced my mom to buy me Conkeys Bad Fur Day. I think she had better judgement though whereas some parents are forced against their wills to buy a Grand Theft Auto game. So it's not always the parents fault, most of the time.
I'd let my underage kid play Skyrim, yeah I'd be an awesome parent to be honest.

I was playing M rated games long before I was even a teenager. I was allowed to, because I've always been very well behaved, and I was never easily influenced. I knew they were games, and I never took anything from a game and used it negatively. Pretty much when I stopped playing a game, it stayed with the game. I hardly ever talked about games back then unless someone brought it up first.

My parents always made sure I knew right from wrong, and I never caused them or anyone else any problems.

Edit: Honestly, I think society has become a bunch of wusses. Everything has to be politically correct these days. Kids are extremely babied in every aspect of their life anymore that they can't handle the simplest of things throughout their life.

Last edited:

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm 16 and I never really wanted to play M games as a kid but I think you should be at least 13 and be mature enough to understand the game. But in the end it's up to the parents. But the Australian Classification Board thinks Wii Dare can be PG rated so does that mean kids should play that till they are old enough for other games :P

I was playing M rated games long before I was even a teenager. I was allowed to, because I've always been very well behaved, and I was never easily influenced. I knew they were games, and I never took anything from a game and used it negatively. Pretty much when I stopped playing a game, it stayed with the game. I hardly ever talked about games back then unless someone brought it up first.

My parents always made sure I knew right from wrong, and I never caused them or anyone else any problems.

Edit: Honestly, I think society has become a bunch of wusses. Everything has to be politically correct these days. Kids are extremely babied in every aspect of their life anymore that they can't handle the simplest of things throughout their life.
My mom let me play Resident Evil because she knew I was killing zombies, I don't think she really cared either about what I was playing because I knew right from wrong, I mean, i wasn't going to go shoot up a mall or something.

Maybe some parents realize that if a child is taught how to tell reality from fiction then a video game can't do them any harm. I've been playing M games and watching R rated movies since I was born (more or less), and I feel confident in saying that I was never stupid enough to actually confuse any of the content of those things with real life. If a kid does mix those up, then their parents aren't very good at being parents.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
Idiocy is so rampant in our current world, I'm suprised that this isn't excpected by the (wise) mases. It's disgusting how little care parents have for their childrens well-being these days. This, plus the other thread discussing kids being let into rated R movies with their **** parents, makes me wish that the 2012 appocalypse is not a false-hood...

I woudn't say they do not care, because most parents want their child(ren) to succeed later in life, but also have fun. I have a neighbor who played rated M games when he was 7, but he continued to do well in school. So his parents didn't mind as long as it didn't get out of hand and influences him to imitate them. ;(

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。

I was raised in a home that wasn't part of the recent surge of over-parenting, and I still played rated E or T games. I understand that some people (you) don't understand how valuable a good childhood is, but come on, being exposed to violent content in media at an early age isn't a simple thing as you put it...

Garo

Boy Wonder
I think it's more stupid to think that an arbitrary rating should determine whether or not kids should play a game based on their age.

What it comes down to is the maturity level of the kid in question, and the specific content in the game. It falls to the parent to wisely determine when they are ready to experience certain things, and age has absolutely nothing to do with that decision. Sure, there are parents who don't care, but to say that it's stupid for parents to allow children to play M games is unnecessarily condemning.

Last edited:

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Personally I think it has to do with modern society.
Is it cool? Are people playing it? Is it fun? Will it keep my child away from me for a while? Is it a good buy? Do they like it? Will it make them happy?
Answer yes to all of them?
Parents are willing to buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom