• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which University Do You Attend?

Zleda

Toon Deity
Hey ZD, I just thought I would start a thread to discuss which universities people go to and why they go there, what they are studying, etc.

I go to Washington State University. Ever since I was little I've wanted to go here, probably because of it's location far from my home, Seattle. I am currently a freshman but plan to major in International Business and minor in Spanish.

Which university do you go to? Go Cougs!

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Well I am not in university yet but I do plan on going...

I live in England so am planing on going to either Leeds, Machester, Liverpool or the university of Central Lancashire however I might be moving to New Zealand in about 8 months so if I move am going to Auckland University :)

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
That would be amazing, I'm seriously jealous. I want to travel so badly, luckily my degree requires 1 semester of Study Abroad!!

I hope I do go to university there it would be so good :) and there always the best courses where you get to study abroad =p

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
I'm a HS Senior currently, and I've applied to:

UC Berkeley
UC San Diego
UC Davis
UC Santa Cruz
California Polytechnic University - San Luis Obispo
Sacramento State University

Already been provisionally accepted to Sac State, but I'd REALLY like to go to CalPoly.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Graduated. North Dakota State University, BA History Education, BA Spanish Education

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I don't attend Uni because of the bloated tuitions they bilk students for to pay for the ridiculously overpriced pensions of their fat, lazy professors and their overwrought sports teams.

Upwards of $100,000K in student loan debt for a third world education all for the sake of a slip of paper that has no value in our depressed economy with no job market and zero demand for educated professionals? I think I'll pass for now.

In the meantime, I attend state college, where bloated pensions and fifty million dollar football/basketball/rugby teams are not a hindrance to my education.

I don't attend Uni because of the bloated tuitions they bilk students for to pay for the ridiculously overpriced pensions of their fat, lazy professors and their overwrought sports teams.

Upwards of $100,000K in student loan debt for a third world education all for the sake of a slip of paper that has no value in our depressed economy with no job market and zero demand for educated professionals? I think I'll pass for now.

In the meantime, I attend state college, where bloated pensions and fifty million dollar football/basketball/rugby teams are not a hindrance to my education.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Like anything else, you have to make the right decision. I was a social science guy at an engineering school, which meant for my department, the major to faculty ratio was 4.5 to 1. In the end, I received a quality education from fantastic professors and my monthly loan payment is less than what some people spend on coffee in a week.

Obviously, I would not recommend attending an institution that costs $35,000 per year if you have not idea what you want to do, but if you have specific career aspirations, that slip of paper is the only chance you have to get in the door. That, and according to the data I've seen, the more slips of paper you have, the more likely you are to find a job. If you want to go to college (not everyone needs to... or should), there are affordable options that won't leave you in ridiculous debt. the key is to stop deluding yourself that you absolutely have to attend the expensive private school. Is state school sexy? No. It's a 1995 Ford Ranger. But it'll get you where you want to go.

I currently attend Lake Superior State University in Michigan and I'm going for a B.S. in Chemistry. It's my second year here and personally I love it. I was set on going to Michigan State for the longest time until I took an impromptu trip (By impromptu, I mean my friend and I had a random snow day and nothing to do so we drove 5 hours to a college we never heard of haha) and fell in love with the school. We are pretty small for a university with only 2500 students and no real graduate programs but that does mean I get a great education, focus from faculty and I get to touch all the fun machines most wait until grad school to use. For my field specifically, if you don't get that slip of paper, then you can kiss any chance of a job down the drain. My school's only real sport is hockey so there isn't much money being funneled into sports and I can't think of any professors that are lazy and receive a pension (The ones who are lazy and not doing their job get fired pretty quickly). In the end the cost of attendance is well worth it for the investment I'm making in my future. I hope to go on to graduate school in 2-3 years to pursue my Ph.D in BioOrganic Chemistry at either MSU, UC Berkley or perhaps University of Michigan.

I'm a junior in hs, so I've been tossing the university question a lot lately. For a long time my dream college was Yale, but I think I was too obsessed with the "name" of my college, impressing my friends and family, etc. I still want to be ambitious, but I want to make the right decision. I think a small, liberal-arts college like Pamona would suit my personality a lot better.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I am at Oklahoma State University. I go here because it has one of the best engineering and technology departments in the nation, and because it's only a 1 1/2 hour drive from my dad's hose in Claremore, OK.

I've been attending for 5 years now. I entered into college going for a Bachelor's in Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering but had a lot of trouble with my classes for the past few years. I thought it was a problem with my time scheduling, studying habits, etc. (which still is a problem that I'm working to overcome), but last year in my robotics class I finally realized that that wasn't what I wanted to do. I didn't like all the theoretics and high-end mathematics of the courses, but I LOVED the hands-on manufacturing and construction the robotics project entailed. So, I switched over to Mechanical Engineering Technology this year, which has more emphasis on the manufacturing aspects, and I've been loving it since. Switching over after being in the MAE department for 4 years set me behind on my graduation date by a year, but I'm happy with it. Better that I get a degree and get a job in a place I'm actually happier in and that I enjoy more, than force my way through the other program, get into a job that's too stressful for me, and end up with my brains splattered against the wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom