• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Programming Languages Do You Know?

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I have a Bachelor in IT with a heavy focus on Java programming, in addition my former employer had me do a Java 5.0 Certification. My school also focused a little bit on .NET (emphasis on C# - but the way we were taught was basically "you already know how to do this in Java, heres the minor changes you need to do to make it work in C#). Before I started my degree I dabbled a bit with Javascript, which helped me learn Java more easily. And after school I taught myself PHP through a book - and I have to say that PHP is without a doubt my favorite for one very specific reason - the way they handle arrays!

Claire

The Geekette
I know Java, C#, and Python. Just like anyone else, I'd like to expand my knowledge. I've been doing more Python lately and plan to get some Javascript under my belt. I've done a lot more in Python and C# than Java, I guess because I think Python is more simplistic than Java and if you want to incorporate graphics C# is the easier route (as opposed to Java). I haven't taken any actual classes on them, it's just what I've learned from my boyfriend and what I've been able to learn myself. I think everyone should know at least one programming language. It is such a practical skill.

Example:
I'm taking Prehistoric Archaeology and needed to calibrate dates. I was able to make a simple program in Java to turn it into a calculator to convert to BCE or CE calendar dates.

Joy

The Sexy One
None because I have a life.
JK, I wish I knew some, I think programming is awesome. But it sounds a little complicated.

Contrary to most of the people in this thread, I've never programmed in C# or Java. My focus has always been on C++ and PHP, the latter having a fair amount in common with C, sans the memory management. PHP is a fun language, and I've written a lot of code, both from scratch and using frameworks, in PHP. However, I think C++ is my favorite language, it really seems to lend itself to both creative and DRY programming, and the OOP implementation makes it really powerful in that regard. I also know Python and a little bit of Ruby, the latter I don't care for so much (syntax just seems really weird, although I have to admit I haven't studied it much, so that could be why). Python is a really fun language for doing simple tasks or writing a basic interface to something, it generally a nice scripting language.
I don't know if I should count JavaScript, as I really only know a few fundamentals, it was just recently that I even studied implementing more advanced functions (by more advanced, I mean more than 'return document.X' type of thing), but it's something I've worked with, when doing web development.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I don't usually study a language more than I need to in order to accomplish a task. I'm most familiar with Java, followed I think by C++, though it's been a while since I've used it. I know some Ruby and Perl for scripting, and I usually just look up how to do what I need for php and javascript.

Apart from a Java project my team just finished for a class, I have two projects that I'm slowly working on. One is Pikmin Dungeon's layout which uses php to dynamically generate navigation items. The other is a browser game using Ruby on Rails incorporating Ajax/JavaScript.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I'm most fluent in Java. However, I do know some Python and Visual Basic. I've also done some work with JavaScript, but I'm not very confident with it. I am also doing an independent study currently in C++, so I'm learning that right now.

I slowly started with TI Basic in while in algebra 1 in 7th grade. I gradually moved on to axe by referral from a nerdy friend. In 9th grade I did a project that we unnecessarily made a website (he even set up a server) and for that I learned javascript although it was mostly using the jqueary library (I forget most of it now, I can still read it though). Right now in 11th grade I am taking AP computer science which is a horribly simple class in java. I have learned nothing more in it than I had already taught myself (also I skipped the intro to java class lol). Last week I downloaded lwjgl but the final example didn't run run and I don't have the time to configure it right now. Oh well swing works... for some stuff. I suppose when html5 is done I'll pick up javascript again.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
I really only know of two programming languages to where I could create simple programs.

The first one I learned was SmartBASIC for the ColecoADAM, a computer released in 1983. It's a very simple programming language for text-based applications, and it worked great for me once I learned it. The method of education was a decently-sized book that my dad gave to me. Unfortunately, the cassette it was on (yes, you heard me: cassette) got wiped because the ColecoADAM had some very bad flaws.

The second one I learned, which was more through personal experience and basing it off of the 1983 SmartBASIC was BASIC for TI-83. There are definitely some differences in how rules are handled with the calculator versus the computer from 1983, but in a nutshell, they were very similar. One significant difference was how drawings were done. In SmartBASIC, you had to individually code every pixel, whereas in TI-83 BASIC, you could draw lines and circles with only one line of code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom